Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: DC2 / 18650 Model

  1. #1
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default DC2 / 18650 Model

    Okluma now has an official 18650 light, otherwise known as the DC2. It's running our version of the mtn-17dd, Nichia 219cs, and an Omten reverse clicky switch. We've only made a few of them, but expect to have a much larger batch out by December. They'll be available in aluminum, titanium, copper, and brass. All DC2s come with a Sanyo NCR18650GA. Copper and brass versions come with a sapphire lens. Stylish DC2 cigar boxes are on the way.




  2. #2
    Flashaholic* Nichia!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    1,917

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Beautiful bro

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Wow! Looking forward.


    Quote Originally Posted by okluma View Post
    It's running our version of the mtn-17dd...
    Would like to know more on how does the programming work on mtn-17dd?

    Is it possible to use an H17F?

  4. #4
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    There are a couple different ways to go on firmware for the mtn-17dd. Bistro from Toykeeper is a good option. We're working on our own firmware, but it's not currently programmable.

    Yeah, we can definitely put in an H17F.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by okluma View Post
    There are a couple different ways to go on firmware for the mtn-17dd. Bistro from Toykeeper is a good option. We're working on our own firmware, but it's not currently programmable.

    Yeah, we can definitely put in an H17F.
    Thanks Sir. I would love to put an H17F.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California (Bay Area)
    Posts
    1,286

    Default DC2 / 18650 Model

    Feels like you changed the pictures on the website...either way, they look slick. Can't wait till the DC2 is officially released! Time to start saving up.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

  7. #7
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    Feels like you changed the pictures on the website...either way, they look slick. Can't wait till the DC2 is officially released! Time to start saving up.
    Yeah... We spent some time cleaning up the website so it was less sketchy.

  8. #8
    *Flashaholic* gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Wow. That is totally beautiful!

  9. #9
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Wow. That is totally beautiful!
    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Delighted that it is a reverse clicky!

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Delighted that it is a reverse clicky!
    Oh, btw... will an H17F be easy to program via a reverse clicky?

  12. #12
    Thetasigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Oh, btw... will an H17F be easy to program via a reverse clicky?
    Depends on the person, I personally find programming to be very difficult with a reverse clicky, but YMMV.

    Glad to see this come to fruition, congrats Jeff!

  13. #13
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,385

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Would forward clicky be an option ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

  14. #14
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Oh, btw... will an H17F be easy to program via a reverse clicky?
    I would imagine it is easier. All of the progammable drivers bistro, guppy, crescendo, A6 are better off with reverse clickies.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    Depends on the person, I personally find programming to be very difficult with a reverse clicky, but YMMV.

    Glad to see this come to fruition, congrats Jeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    I would imagine it is easier. All of the progammable drivers bistro, guppy, crescendo, A6 are better off with reverse clickies.
    Thanks guys. Would this mean full clicks 8 times to enter to programming or 1 full click then half clicks 8 times?


  16. #16
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Thanks guys. Would this mean full clicks 8 times to enter to programming or 1 full click then half clicks 8 times?

    Turn light on. Half press 8 times. While in programming you only half press. You never need to click the light again unless you need to turn it off such as thermal setting.

  17. #17

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Would forward clicky be an option ?
    Maybe if you don't use the FET channels.

    I agree with Devin, I didn't like Luci2 on a reverse clicky. The double click shortcut was particularly annoying

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Maybe if you don't use the FET channels.

    I agree with Devin, I didn't like Luci2 on a reverse clicky. The double click shortcut was particularly annoying
    1. Reverse clicky can withstand the FET channels?

    2. What particular part of the UI made the double click annoying - is it right after full click? or during the half clicks?

  19. #19
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Oh, btw... will an H17F be easy to program via a reverse clicky?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    Depends on the person, I personally find programming to be very difficult with a reverse clicky, but YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    I would imagine it is easier. All of the progammable drivers bistro, guppy, crescendo, A6 are better off with reverse clickies.
    It's just different. It was a bit frustrating when you're used to a forward clicky the first few times, but after that it's just as easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Would forward clicky be an option ?
    Yes, we're certainly going to try and fit the McClicky into the light. I'm pretty sure we can do it, but we haven't done it yet. It's not at the top of the list though, but it is on the list. We will have to drop the output to keep the McClicky from melting.

    Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    1. Reverse clicky can withstand the FET channels?

    2. What particular part of the UI made the double click annoying - is it right after full click? or during the half clicks?
    Yes, the reverse clicky switches will take a lot of current, much more than we're running through them. Personally, I found having to turn the light on first before entering programming mode was annoying at first. But after a few times, it's fine.

  20. #20
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,385

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by okluma View Post
    ....
    Yes, we're certainly going to try and fit the McClicky into the light. I'm pretty sure we can do it, but we haven't done it yet. It's not at the top of the list though, but it is on the list. We will have to drop the output to keep the McClicky from melting....
    Thanks. I'm willing to forego max output, in exchange for momentary actuation.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* xdayv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by okluma View Post
    Yes, the reverse clicky switches will take a lot of current, much more than we're running through them. Personally, I found having to turn the light on first before entering programming mode was annoying at first. But after a few times, it's fine.
    Hoping the new programmable driver will make the H17F upgrade unnecessary (for me).

  22. #22
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by okluma View Post
    It's just different. It was a bit frustrating when you're used to a forward clicky the first few times, but after that it's just as easy.



    Yes, we're certainly going to try and fit the McClicky into the light. I'm pretty sure we can do it, but we haven't done it yet. It's not at the top of the list though, but it is on the list. We will have to drop the output to keep the McClicky from melting.



    Yes, the reverse clicky switches will take a lot of current, much more than we're running through them. Personally, I found having to turn the light on first before entering programming mode was annoying at first. But after a few times, it's fine.
    Perhaps a design around a standard PCB type switch as pictured. Can easily choose between a forward clicky or reverse clicky with one design depending on the switch on the PCB rather than two body designs.

    Watermark is where you can find this particular item but not linked.


  23. #23
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    The DC2 is designed for a switch with a 16mm PCB just like that. I was thinking people would actually want a McClicky and not just a forward clicky switch.

  24. #24
    *Flashaholic* gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Is that why you switched to reverse clicky? The high current?

  25. #25
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    No, it was primarily to change the way the tail assembly works. Having a switch capable of more is nice, but not the reason we switched.

  26. #26
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,606

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Excellent. Makes these more appealing. So many cool things to do to them now. Lighted tailcaps?

  27. #27
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    East coast Florida
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Fantastic Jeff. Can you give us a hint as to the cost, i.e. twice what the DC1 cost perhaps? I understand if you haven't determined that yet either.

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California (Bay Area)
    Posts
    1,286

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Fantastic Jeff. Can you give us a hint as to the cost, i.e. twice what the DC1 cost perhaps? I understand if you haven't determined that yet either.
    I think it was like $50 more when the first people bought them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not going to be anywhere near double
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

  29. #29
    Flashaholic okluma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Posts
    468

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Fantastic Jeff. Can you give us a hint as to the cost, i.e. twice what the DC1 cost perhaps? I understand if you haven't determined that yet either.
    Quote Originally Posted by the0dore3524 View Post
    I think it was like $50 more when the first people bought them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not going to be anywhere near double
    Brass, copper and titanium will be 549, and aluminum will be 349.

  30. #30
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    East coast Florida
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: DC2 / 18650 Model

    Quote Originally Posted by okluma View Post
    Brass, copper and titanium will be 549, and aluminum will be 349.
    Bring it on then!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •