Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on UST 30 & 60 day lanterns for power outage use, please.

Default Opinions on UST 30 & 60 day lanterns for power outage use, please.

Hey,

I WAS looking for reviews or comments on the Coleman Twin LED Lantern, model # 2000024375 earlier.

But I ruled the Coleman out pretty fast and now would like to know what you guys think of the UST 30 and 60 day lanterns.

I guess two different posts inquiring about two different lanterns was too much. So a Mod merged them.

Any UST lantern guys here?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-16-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Default Re: Anyone own or have experience with the Coleman twin LED lantern?

My general impression of modern Coleman lanterns is lots of plastic and overall poor build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    My general impression of modern Coleman lanterns is lots of plastic and overall poor build quality.
    The more I read about this Coleman, the more I concur with your opinion.

The search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
    The more I read about this Coleman, the more I concur with your opinion.

The search continues.
    If you can make the splurge, the Fenix CL25R is a good lantern to consider. 360 lumens and the size of a soda can. Rechargeable via USB or 18650 battery swappable.

Fenix has both larger and smaller, and Nitecore has some smaller as well.

Your situation might be different but 8Ds are heavy, and as time goes on, expensive for me. Rechargeable is so much easier. More expensive up front, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdm82 View Post
    If you can make the splurge, the Fenix CL25R is a good lantern to consider. 360 lumens and the size of a soda can. Rechargeable via USB or 18650 battery swappable.

Fenix has both larger and smaller, and Nitecore has some smaller as well.

Your situation might be different but 8Ds are heavy, and as time goes on, expensive for me. Rechargeable is so much easier. More expensive up front, though.
    The Coleman is out. Right now I'm considering a UST 30 day lantern that takes only 3 D cells.

The Fenix lanterns all seem to be rechargeables which, for obvious reasons, doesn't seem to be a good idea for extended power outages.

MODS - Will one of you fellas please delete this thread? At this point, it's just a waste of bandwidth.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-15-2017 at 06:02 PM.

The Coleman is out. Right now I'm considering a UST 30 day lantern that takes only 3 D cells.

The Fenix lanterns all seem to be rechargeables which, for obvious reasons, doesn't seem to be a good idea for extended power outages.

MODS - Will one of you fellas please delete this thread? At this point, it's just a waste of bandwidth.
    I noticed the 2 threads, so this one should die (or be merged).

D cells eventually run out, too.

Lithium ions hold more power and spares can be swapped just like primaries.

A portable solar panel with Sunpower panels would give you the ability to recharge during the day... the ultimate way to get by long periods of no electricity. About $45 for a panel capable of 2A... enough to charge cell phones too.

Not trying to waste bandwidth, just share some things to consider. Good luck and hopefully you get good feedback about the UST in the other thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bdm82 View Post
    I noticed the 2 threads, so this one should die (or be merged).

D cells eventually run out, too.

Lithium ions hold more power and spares can be swapped just like primaries.

A portable solar panel with Sunpower panels would give you the ability to recharge during the day... the ultimate way to get by long periods of no electricity. About $45 for a panel capable of 2A... enough to charge cell phones too.

Not trying to waste bandwidth, just share some things to consider. Good luck and hopefully you get good feedback about the UST in the other thread!
    Bdm82,

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. But here's the situation.

Right now, I have to put money in the house for hurricane repairs.

I'm not sure how much a good quality lantern that uses rechargeables costs.

But add the cost of the lantern, the cost of the18650 rechargeables (or other types) that I'd put in it initially, and then the additional cost of spare rechargeables, which would be a neccesity, the total turns into something I just can't afford at the moment.

I have no idea how much making the house right is going to run. But every dollar is going to count.

And if I mention Sunpower solar panels to my bank account before the house is fixed, all it will do is laugh at me.

Right now, my best option is a decent lantern that runs on alkalines.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-15-2017 at 06:50 PM.

I hear you loud and clear. Didn't mean to be daft to the situation. Best wishes with the recovery; I've been watching city by city due to work and well, there's nothing I can say that you don't already know.

Unless there's some reason you need a lantern specifically, don't forget the option of just ceiling-bouncing a flashlight; you'll find that in a family dinner situation, a single centerpiece light @ 100 lumens pointed at the ceiling above the table is plenty. There are a lot more flashlights than lanterns to choose from..

If you need a quantity of batteries, look into Amazon Basics brand in the frustration-free packaging; it's just a big box of good alkalines where you're not paying for fancy packaging or a brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post

If you need a quantity of batteries, look into Amazon Basics brand in the frustration-free packaging; it's just a big box of good alkalines where you're not paying for fancy packaging or a brand name.
    The Amazon Basics look good. Thanks.

Now who owns one of those USTs?

Default Re: Opinions on the UST 30 day and 60 day lanterns please?

Hey,

I WAS looking for reviews or comments on the Coleman Twin LED Lantern, model # 2000024375 earlier.

But I ruled the Coleman out pretty fast and now would like to know what you guys think of the UST 30 and 60 day lanterns.

I guess two different posts inquiring about two different lanterns was too much. So a Mod merged them.

Any UST lantern guys here?

Thanks.
    No problem, the Lanterns subforum doesn't generally get a lot of traffic, so keeping your discussion focused in this one thread should be most helpful for you.

By quoting your (new) OP, I've also fixed your new title, for subsequent posts here ... cheers !
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    No problem, the Lanterns subforum doesn't generally get a lot of traffic, so keeping your discussion focused in this one thread should be most helpful for you.

By quoting your (new) OP, I've also fixed your new title, for subsequent posts here ... cheers !
    Thank you, my friend.

archimedes,

It appears that very few members are familiar with these UST lanterns, but I'm still hoping to hear something.

Please bear with me while I give this a final bump. There will be no more bumps from me for this thread.

Thanks.

Default Re: Opinions on UST 30 & 60 day lanterns for power outage use, please.

I'm not familiar with these either, but I hope you find the info you need

Flashaholic*

What exactly is it you want to know? I had one from wal mart. Ran for a long time on the low mode of 15 lumens. Never tried to run it for a 30 day period. Lasted through several camping trips though. A whole deer season.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    What exactly is it you want to know? I had one from wal mart. Ran for a long time on the low mode of 15 lumens. Never tried to run it for a 30 day period. Lasted through several camping trips though. A whole deer season.
    Thanks, Big.

So you had the 30 day?

Was the max brightness okay to light a 10x15 room adequately?

I keep seeing 508 lumens AND 1100 lumen ratings for the 60 day lanterns. I wonder which it is?

Was the max brightness okay to light a 10x15 room adequately?
    You need about 100 lumens, anything beyond that will just put more light on what you can already see while draining batteries faster and reducing your night vision.

Although it depends on the specific task, of course, but 100 lm for that size room seems massive, to me ....

You need about 100 lumens, anything beyond that will just put more light on what you can already see while draining batteries faster and reducing your night vision.
    So you're saying 100 lumens will light up a 10x15 ft. room? It seems to me that the room would be very dark.

What is the wattage equivalent of 100 lumens in an incandescent bulb?

60W incandescent is about ~ 800 lm

60W incandescent is about ~ 800 lm
    So, if my math is correct, StarHalo is saying 100 lumens from a lantern, the equivalent of a 7.5 watt bulb, is adequate to light up a 10x15 ft. room?

And any more than that is a night-vision stealing, waste of energy?

I'm reading by a 100 watt light bulb and just walked outside into the nighttime darkness.

My vision adjusted immediately.

I guess I have to get my eyes checked. I have a 25 watt incandescent light bulb in a tiny 4x6 storage cabinet and it's a real strain to find things in there.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-17-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Although it depends on the specific task, of course, but 100 lm for that size room seems massive, to me ....
    I had visions of a lantern hung from the ceiling in the middle of that 10x15 ft. room.

The task is the thing, of course.

For example, I don't think the light would be enough to deal with making sure you had the right polarity on a multi-battery device or trying to screw or unscrew small screws on something.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-17-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Lux, not lumens, are what you want (depending on task) ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

Lux, not lumens, are what you want (depending on task) ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux
    Not that I understood it, but until I read that, I thought Lux was for washing dishes.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-17-2017 at 09:03 PM.

My vision adjusted immediately....
    Adaptation includes different effects of changes in pupils, cones, and rods, each of which have different timing, and which also vary with age

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(eye)

i have both the 60 days and 30 day i love them noth but i would like a dimmer mode then low
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

100 lumens from a lantern, the equivalent of a 7.5 watt bulb, is adequate to light up a 10x15 ft. room?

And any more than that is a night-vision stealing, waste of energy?

I'm reading by a 100 watt light bulb and just walked outside into the nighttime darkness.

My vision adjusted immediately.

I guess I have to get my eyes checked. I have a 25 watt incandescent light bulb in a tiny 4x6 storage cabinet and it's a real strain to find things in there.
    Correct, because your vision doesn't adjust immediately; any evening of stargazing will show you plainly that you need at ~10 minutes of staring at the dark sky before your eyes adjust enough to see lesser stars and satellites, then when you come back inside it will seem overly bright for a couple minutes until you readjust again. In a power outage at night, when there simply isn't any abundant light source anywhere, a single 100 lumen light source fills a room nicely and leaves your eyes in that dark adjusted state. Sitting and doing a task just by yourself needs only ~25 lumens, relaxing with some ambient lighting near a book needs ~2 lumens, lighting only the book itself takes only ~0.01 lumens.

Mankind lived by flame light up until a century ago, you are specifically evolved for modest lighting at night. I went through a 5 day outage in the dead of winter in the midwest, and I'm also the guy who does Earth Hour every year (and tries to get everyone here to join in,) I've done this a few times

Mankind lived by flame light up until a century ago ... .
    Were Thomas Edison alive, he would disagree with you.

Often wrong, but never uncertain.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-18-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Were Thomas Edison alive, he would disagree with you.
    It wasn't until after 1920 that more than half of US households had electricity; that's a salient point since it was electrification that allowed people to light their homes as if it were daylight at all times - it's not something you think about if you just plug a lamp into a wall. But when your power source is a small box of batteries and you don't know when any other power source will be available, it's best to buck modernity and go back to using the night vision you were born with.

It wasn't until after 1920 that more than half of US households had electricity; ... .
    StarHalo,

The above is true enough, but New York, Chicago, other large cities and some smaller cities too, had electricity in homes in the 1880s and 1890s, well before 1920.

Earlier in this thread you said;

Mankind lived by flame light up until a century ago ... .
    This is simply not so and I post this only in the pursuit of accuracy.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-18-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast