Klarus        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on UST 30 & 60 day lanterns for power outage use, please.

Default Re: Opinions on UST 30 & 60 day lanterns for power outage use, please.

No more Rule 4 off-topic chatter please

Others, please don't take the bait

Mickey, please consider if you'd care to edit your post

This is close to soon becoming another of your threads closed
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-18-2017 at 06:59 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

the stream light seige is very nice to..and the rayovac 530 lumen
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    No more Rule 4 off-topic chatter please

Others, please don't take the bait

Mickey, please consider if you'd care to edit your post

This is close to soon becoming another of your threads closed
    archimedes,

The post has been edited.

Thanks,

Mickey

Thank you for the edit, mickeyfinn

Let's now return from turn-of-the-century lighting concerns, to lanterns for power outage use circa 2017, please
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

The 30 day would be overkill for that size room. I used it mainly in a 6 man tent and needed only the lowest setting. You won't be disappointed with it.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

After much ado over what some would say was nothing, I ordered a lantern today.

By the end of the week I should have the 60 day, 1200 lumen UST lantern here. Overkill? Probably.

We live in Florida, and if we get nailed by another hurricane I want LIGHT, and plenty of it.

Irma took our power for three days. And it sucked. We got by with flashlights, good ones, and plenty of batteries.

We have some big rooms here, a 24x12 ft. living room and a 28x26 ft. garage. Looking for stuff in a big, cluttered garage with a flashlight is no fun.

I'll be interested in seeing if this 60 day lantern lives up to the specs UST assigns to it:

• Removable globe provides forward-area light. It can be hung upside down if desired.
    • High (1200 lumens, up to 41 hours)
    • Medium (200 lumens, up to 192 hours)
    • Low (20 lumens, up to 60 days)
    • BULB TYPE: 4 x NS6W 1W Nichia, white LEDs

Shoot, if it does half of what they say it will do, I'll be happy with it.

After I've had it for a while and tested it out some, I'll post a little review here if anyone here might be interested.

Take care.

archimedes,

I'll bet you're glad THAT'S over with.

Thanks for your patience and forbearance.

Mickey

I know that I am late to the party, but what the heck anyway

Martinaee did a nice review of the streamlight siege, it and the UST models have been compared by many with them being very similar.

I think that one will get fairly similar run-times with just about any 3D cell lantern that has a decent LED, whether it be Cree, or Nichia.

Of note: as stated earlier in this thread, if you run a light at a higher output, the faster the batteries will deplete. If you are looking to supply light for an extended power outage, IMO, lanterns that put out more than 300 lumens will run the batteries down too quickly (if run at that level of output.) Alkalines will last best at 100 lumens or less, and that happens to be the output that many feel comfortable with, once their eyes have become dark adapted.

I hope that you are happy with your UST 60 1200. Be sure that you have at least one extra set of batteries for it, so that when you see how quickly the output drops, that you'll have a fresh set to use at a lower setting, if your outage lasts for days.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

I have a UST 30-day. Been using it for almost 4 years now. It lives up to its long battery life off a 3 size D batts. Well enough to lit an average sized room. UI is intuitive. And can be hang up side down with a hook at the bottom. FWIW, I got a second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Of note: as stated earlier in this thread, if you run a light at a higher output, the faster the batteries will deplete. If you are looking to supply light for an extended power outage, IMO, lanterns that put out more than 300 lumens will run the batteries down too quickly (if run at that level of output.) Alkalines will last best at 100 lumens or less, and that happens to be the output that many feel comfortable with, once their eyes have become dark adapted.

I hope that you are happy with your UST 60 1200. Be sure that you have at least one extra set of batteries for it, so that when you see how quickly the output drops, that you'll have a fresh set to use at a lower setting, if your outage lasts for days.
    Hi Poppy,

Thanks for your kind wishes. And yes, I'm very happy with the lantern. And I bought plenty of extra batteries for it. I just hope I never have to use them.

Objectively speaking, it makes perfect sense that the higher the output setting, the faster the batteries will be depleted when using a lantern, or any battery powered light, for that matter, right?

But how much light someone wants a lantern to provide is a purely subjective matter.

I wanted a lantern that threw a ton of light, and after testing it, I can say that's what I have with this UST 60 day, 1200 lumen lantern.

Yes, it takes a whopping 8 D cells. It's a trade-off, no doubt. But look at those specs:

High (1200 lumens, up to 41 hours)
    Medium (200 lumens, up to 192 hours)
    Low (20 lumens, up to 60 days)
    BULB TYPE: 4 x NS6W 1W Nichia, white LEDs

I've been testing it, and so far I have run it on the medium (200 lumen) setting for 108 hours.

I took some photos for comparison purposes, and after 70 hours the light was somewhat dimmer than when I started the test.

And after 108 hours, when I ended the test, the light was dimmer yet but still throwing enough useable light to illuminate our 24x12 ft. living room.

I then switched the lantern to the high setting and the light output was dramatically higher and has remained that way for almost seven hours now.

And this is on plain old alkaline Energizers which I figure are, at this point, are more than 50 percent depleted.

I'm tempted to put in some fresh batteries to see how long it will last on the high setting, but I think it would be wasteful. I've seen enough of what it can do. And I'm well pleased with the lantern.

After Hurricane Irma blew through here and took our power with her for three days, I vowed to get a bright, battery powered lantern that would run a long time on a single set of batteries.

And this UST is just what I was looking for.

Yes, the medium, 200 lumen setting provides plenty of light for a good, long time. But I like knowing that I have the 1200 lumen setting available should I want or need to use it for some reason.

The only fault I can find with this lantern, and it's a small one, is that it starts on the high setting, then goes to medium, then low. I wish it were the opposite. But again, this is no big deal.

I'm glad I bought this lantern and, with the extra batteries I have for it, I feel prepared for a power outage, even an extended one. One less thing to worry about during hurricane season in Florida.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 09-29-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Flashaholic

1200 lumens for 41 hours sounds very optimistic to me.
    At 120 lumens per watt, 1200 lumens requires 10 watts.
    8 D cells in series will produce about 10 volts on load.
    10 watts at 10 volts is one amp.
    I would not expect alkaline cells to produce an amp for 10 hours, let alone for 41 hours.
    Alkaline D cells are typically about 18 AH, on slow discharge, much less if discharged quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
    1200 lumens for 41 hours sounds very optimistic to me.
    At 120 lumens per watt, 1200 lumens requires 10 watts.
    8 D cells in series will produce about 10 volts on load.
    10 watts at 10 volts is one amp.
    I would not expect alkaline cells to produce an amp for 10 hours, let alone for 41 hours.
    Alkaline D cells are typically about 18 AH, on slow discharge, much less if discharged quickly.
    broad,

I don't have the knowledge to agree or disagree with your postulation.

But my first question is, and it's an honest one since I don't know the answer, do all bulbs burn power at the same rate?

Send me eight decent D cells or Paypal me enough $ to buy some and I'll happily test the lantern for you and give you an honest, detailed accounting.

I think it will start out fine at 1200 lumen, and by 41 hours the output will be noticeably less, but still plenty bright.

Remember, it did a straight 108 hours (4.5 days) on medium then another almost seven hours on high, which was REALLY bright, before I shut it down.
    Last edited by mickeyfinn; 10-03-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Flashaholic

As regards the question "do all bulbs burn power at the same rate" The simple answer is that LEDs in particular can have the rate of power use altered or adjusted, but there limits as to the efficiency of an LED. To produce 1,200 lumens must take ABOUT 10 watts, presuming 120 lumens per watt. I do not know the actual efficiency of the LEDs used in this lantern, but 120 lumens per watt seems a reasonable upper estimate, including driver losses.

Alkaline D cells do have a capacity of about 18AH on slow discharge (published data)
    8 such cells in series will average ABOUT 10 volts in total during discharge, measured by myself and many others.
    Alkaline D cells can supply 0.8amps for about 12 to 14 hours, published data by maglight and others, they claim a 12 to 14 run time with 0.8 amp bulbs and alkaline D cells.

I claim no great precision in my calculations, but am satisfied that 8 D cells simply can not produce 1200 lumens for 41 hours.
    10 hours would seem the likely limit, possibly 12 hours under ideal conditions. 41 hours no way.

The lantern may well stay lit for 41 hours, but not at 1200 lumens.

As regards the question "do all bulbs burn power at the same rate" The simple answer is that LEDs in particular can have the rate of power use altered or adjusted, but there limits as to the efficiency of an LED. To produce 1,200 lumens must take ABOUT 10 watts, presuming 120 lumens per watt. I do not know the actual efficiency of the LEDs used in this lantern, but 120 lumens per watt seems a reasonable upper estimate, including driver losses.

Alkaline D cells do have a capacity of about 18AH on slow discharge (published data)
    8 such cells in series will average ABOUT 10 volts in total during discharge, measured by myself and many others.
    Alkaline D cells can supply 0.8amps for about 12 to 14 hours, published data by maglight and others, they claim a 12 to 14 run time with 0.8 amp bulbs and alkaline D cells.

I claim no great precision in my calculations, but am satisfied that 8 D cells simply can not produce 1200 lumens for 41 hours.
    10 hours would seem the likely limit, possibly 12 hours under ideal conditions. 41 hours no way.

You're 100% right that 1200 lumens for 41 hours isn't happening.

But runtimes are always rated to the ANSI FL1 standard of 10%.

So the question is... could it be producing 120 lumens at hour 41? If it is, it gets to say 41 HR runtime. (Though many on here consider 50% output the REAL runtime for their use.)

Whether it could do 120 at hr 41 all depends on the output curve. If it is outputting 1150 at hour 8, then we know it'd be a "no" do to the battery capacity limitations as you shared. But if it is already down to 125 lumens at hour 2, then enough battery power might be held back to make it to 41 hours. I doubt it actually follows either of these curves, but I don't have one to test (nor the will to chew through 8 bricks, no, I mean D cell batteries).

But hey, at the end of the day, it's all a bit moot. OP has what he's looking for and is happy with it, so good enough for me.

broad,

Did you perhaps miss the part earlier where I said:

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfinn
    I think it will start out fine at 1200 lumen, and by 41 hours the output will be noticeably less, but still plenty bright.

Remember, it did a straight 108 hours (4.5 days) on medium then another almost seven hours on high, which was REALLY bright, before I shut it down.
    And Bdm82,

Quote Originally Posted by Bdm82
    I don't have one to test (nor the will to chew through 8 bricks, no, I mean D cell batteries).

But hey, at the end of the day, it's all a bit moot. OP has what he's looking for and is happy with it, so good enough for me.
    Those bricks, er, I mean batteries are useful for other things besides poweing lanterns during a hurricane.

For instance, you could use 8 Ds to weigh down one of those blue tarps covering a roof after the hurricane.

And you could use a mere three of them to repel looters during lengthy power outages.

Man, put three of those fat babies in an athletic sock and swing away with it and you can do some damage.

Put two each in your front pockets and you could easily walk through 150 mph winds without being blown away.

Yep, them Ds are something.

Take care

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12