**Is there a tiny led that is better than the arc lite and the photon?*

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nonbox:
Is there a tiny led that is better than the arc lite and the photon?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hard question to answer... this depends entirely on what you want out of the flashlight.

The Photon is the brightest you can buy, at least for initial turn-on intensity. It is also small & discreet. But it has an unnecessarily difficult battery change and it uses batteries that can be expensive and hard to find in a pinch.

The Arc, while not as bright as the Photon initially, stays brighter for longer; it's small & tough, and has an easy to find, easy to change battery.

The Asp Sapphire performs similarly to a Photon, but you have to mail it in when the batteries poop out, and it has a tendency to occasionally explode into many little pieces all over the floor when dropped from >4'.

Then there's the Stylus 3. It's brighter than just about any other single LED, but it is physically very long, and uses hard-to-find batteries.

The Pelican L1 is also bright for its size, but battery & LED life *could* be an issue unless they've been redesigned within the last three or four months. Batteries for it are easy to find online, but if you need them at some odd time, you're not likely to find them at the local Quick-E-Mart.

Then, there's a whole wash list of so-called "bullet" keychain lights. Most are reasonably bright and durable, but all have one thing in common: they all use LR-series button cells that can be expensive and/or hard to find in an emergency.

Finally, there's the Infinity. Although it's a nicely made light that's durable and water resistant & uses a cheap battery you can buy anywhere, it's not all that bright.

So it all boils down to this:
What do you expect out of a tiny flashlight?
Ultra high brightness? Water resistant or water proof? Drop-proof? Cheap battery that's easy to change? Decent battery life? Super small size? Easy to hang on keys or fit discreetly in pocket? Clip into shirt pocket? "No twist" switch design?

You can't have it all... no matter which light you want to get, concessions will have to be made. That's what makes your ? so difficult to answer.
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I believe the Emissive Energy microlite is better than the Photon; http://store.yahoo.com/botach/emenmic.html
because the components are easy to change, and the LED (same as Photon) lead isn't used as a switch, and the LED stays in place when you change the battery, and the rubber battery cover 'peals' off easily, and the clip it comes on serves as the 'constant on switch' and it's about half the price of a Photon. That's better, right?
...easy.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

excellent "key-chain flashlights in a nutshell review" reply craig
smile.gif
i agree with ted also, emissive energy hangs on my work keychain, and another hangs with the keys to the gun safe. that is, till i get my hands on a couple of those "arc-lights!!! $#@$#% addiction?
mad.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the switch doesn't have a constant-on mode, but momentary-on only, it's a step backwards from the photon, IMO, at least for me. I use constant-on all the time, more often than momentary. The Emissive Energy light looks like another of the momentary-on-only lights; is it?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> If the switch doesn't have a constant-on mode, but momentary-on only, it's a step backwards from the photon, IMO, at least for me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, the clip acts as a constant on switch by squeezing the light for you. Not quite as nice as the Photon switch, but the Emissive light is the price winner.

Is the bulb exposed or is it recessed in the housing. It it is exposed, this just may be the "kite light" I've been looking for. I'd like to put 3 inexpensive LED's on a two string trick kite for night flying.

RonM,

I saw some really neat eyecatching LED lights that'd be simple to make yourself at a recent night fly.

They use one lithium coin, a short piece of vinyly tubing, and 2 LEDs each.

I gotta run now, but I'll try and describe them for you in an email and/or find a good link on the web.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:

Is the bulb exposed or is it recessed in the housing. It it is exposed, this just may be the "kite light" I've been looking for. I'd like to put 3 inexpensive LED's on a two string trick kite for night flying.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bulb is completely recessed into a form-fitting cowling, so the light only shoots straight forward - 18° or 19° beam angle which sharply cuts off to total blackness.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that someone comes along with a tiny power controller unit (to keep light output bright as the batteries get used up).

One that's miniaturized -- built into some little threaded cylinder of the right diameter -- could be retrofitted to existing LED lamps.

A retrofit power controller like that could be put in between the Stylus and its removable end-cap/switch, or the end cap of a MagLight flashlight or between the main cylinder and the lamp housing of any flashlight where those are removable.

It'd have to physically adapt to several diameters and thread pitches but that's simple machine shop work.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclops942:
How did I know you were going to say this, Ted?
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Perhaps because you, like I, are a man of truth, conviction, and integrity, who appreciates it when someone takes two basic wonderful inventions; the button cell and the LED and puts them together in a way that is superior to the 'others' poor design, imho..especially when the 'other' has become such a big seller, (in spite of itself).. Besides there's certainly no lack of Photon circle --er...-- 'appreciation'-- around here..
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

great idea hank, can't help with the details but i want 1!!!!!!!!

Ron, I too am a kite junkie.
cool.gif

Apologies to others if this post seems off topic. Didn't think it warranted it's own topic.
smile.gif

I drew up a little pic of what I meant.

2 leds, short vinyl tube (shown cutaway) with a slot for a lithium coin, and a coin battery (2032 or similar).

kitelite.jpg

Run a string thru the slot, and you have an eye-catching lightstick to hang from the bridle lines. To turn it off, just flip the battery over. Presto! No bias, no current flow.

Reds were used, but I don't see why you couldn't use other colors. Your brighness will vary...
wink.gif

Certainly, this is patented by the makers so don't get any wild dreams of selling them yourselves guys.
wink.gif

If the picture doesn't explain all, email me.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadget - Looking forward any info you can provide about lighting a kite. Many thanks in advance.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

No problem Ron.
smile.gif

Like I said though, it's already a product on the market. I have seen it in the past, just couldn't find it last night.

So I wouldn't go trademarking the name.
wink.gif

What color you gonna use?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadget - The kite lite (I should trademark that name) is way cool. Simplicity itself! Really appreciate the CAD drawing (a picture is worth a 1000 words). Looks like this will be my first LED project. Thanks!!!
grin.gif