IP or IPX rating, What does it mean?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i do a search on IPX rating, I am getting results for IP rating am getting results for IPhone 8 is IP67 and Samsung S8 is IP68

According to the link, IP67 is waterproof for a static 30min and IP68 is 30min at up to 1.5m

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/what-is-ip68-ip-ratings-explained-2947135

Now the flash-light i just bought an "Evolva Future Technology E9" is rated at IPX68 but the manufacture states that it can only be used in rainy weather and should not be submerged in water.

Do you have any opinion on this confusion?

Also does anybody have a link to the Evolva website as i cannot find one, or is this flashlight just a rebrand?

Thanks

John.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify, I believe the first number is supposed to be the dust/dirt ingression rating, and the second is the water ingression rating. I'm not sure about there being a third number/rating - or "x" - though.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light sounds dubious if anything if it is listed as IPX68 which is not a real rating. Took a quick look and it looks like a copy of the Nitecore MH20GT.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
You right it does look very very similar to the "Nitecore MH20GT" IP-X8 sells for £90, So the "Evolva Future Technology E9" at £29 looks like a clone, Amazon UK prices.

After checking both manuals, the "Nitecore MH20GT" has an two stage button and an more advanced ui

Thanks

John.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The X means their product was not tested for dust or water intrusion depending on the location of said X.
IPX7 for example is a 7 of 8 rating for water intrusion.
An IP 68 would be 6 of 8 for dust intrusion.

An IPX68 probably means they didn't even test it but placed some letters and numbers to make you think they did.

Note to knock off makers: If you are going to fake something at least understand what you are faking.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the "x" in lieu of a dust ingress number means it is impermeable by dust when properly sealed. Ipx8, etc. Not sure that ipx68 is a real rating.

Some manufactures only quote one number and that`s the one for water, as if it`s water resistant/proof, Dust is unlikely to get inside, So IPX8 (It`s clear as mud)

John.

ven

Flashaholic
If there is an X, there is no give rating iirc. So ipx6 would be no given rating for solids(ie dust). But there is a 6 rating for fluid(ie water).

Latest posts