Impressed with CCTrek light

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a gamble and shelled out $30 for one of these, but I am pleasantly surprised. It has only two LEDs, but they are bright and warm tinted. It's about twice as bright as an Arc AAA.

The graph on the ccrane.com page shows that this light has some kind of semi-regulation, which is better than most 3-cell LED flashlights. (It also looks better than the rather underwhelming graph for their 6-LED light.) It should be good for any purposes that call for short-range use and long runtimes.

My only gripe is that the light doesn't have more accessories included besides a lanyard. You have to pay $16 more if you want a kit containing a bezel shroud, belt clip, lens filters, etc.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I had with the CCTrek is that the screw down head, which acts as the "on switch," dented the nipple of the positive terminal on the top battery. After enough switching, the light flickered because of poor battery contact.

I rotated the batteries, but they all become dented before they run out of juice.

I ended up wiring a regular switch into it. It works well now, but now I like better lights.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one. Earlier model, with NO regulation nor resistor(s), and one of the LEDs decided to become a strobe light. It is made by Tektite.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Josey said:
The problem I had with the CCTrek is that the screw down head, which acts as the "on switch," dented the nipple of the positive terminal on the top battery. After enough switching, the light flickered because of poor battery contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new one has a spring, so the batteries don't get crunched when you tighten the head. It also has a single-piece lamp assembly with the LEDs epoxied in place.