SURE-FIRE 3P Light and caps

garbal

Newly Enlightened
Good day, I'm new to this forum and have little knowledge of flashlights.

My friend who served overseas gave me this light and I've used it faithfully as it is a great light.

The bulb burned out and I was searching for a new one and finally gave up. I was going to throw it out but

someone suggested it might be worth something.

It's a surefire 3p light and it has two caps and a filter attachment of some sort.

I'm wondering if any of you would know where I could get a bulb for it ... I see several on ebay but don't know which would be the best one.

It's a nice compact light.

I can be reached at [email protected]

I'll try to link to the pictures here

https://garrball.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-MTXKMKk/A
Thank you for your help. It's good to be a part of this forum.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello, and welcome to CPF !

Yes, that is indeed valuable, and in fact collectible.

You have many upgrade options available, too.

Others will be by shortly with many suggestions, no doubt :D

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
What an awesome friend:welcome:

+1 on malkoff, perfectly suited...........pick your flavour. Want more output.................almost endless options for p60's these days.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agree on the Malkoff.

A drop in is basically a module about the same size as the bulb module that came with your light. Remove the old reflector/bulb module and "drop in" the new one.

A Malkoff is an LED module in a brass casing with the LED "bulb" cemented by epoxy. That is called "potted" and makes the module very durable. The brass aids in radiating heat away from the LED to the outside of the light.

Finding a stock 3P module is like finding an honest politician.... not impossible, but very rare indeed.

I have a 1x123 light with the module from a Rayovac Indestructable ($14.99) from my local Home Depot that provides an hi and low. Nowhere near as durable as a Malkoff, but for the time being is an easy replacement for your burnt bulb while you learn about Drop In's.

Welcome to CPF

scout24

Flashaholic
Our friends at Lumensfactory will make you replacement 3 volt incandescent bulbs if you send an email and ask nicely. Otherwise, lots of good LED advice here! :) Keep it and enjoy it, they're great little lights.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
If for some reason you don't mind a cool white tint I have a malkoff m31 module that I can give you. It's pretty darn bright and simply sees no use at all right now. But malkoffs are great way to go. Or lumensfactory like scout suggested.

and WELCOME to CPF !!!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't throw it away! Someone here will gladly give it a home if you don't want it.

The Malkoff upgrade will give you much more light and run time.

garbal

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your help and advice.

I did just that... I bought the Malikof then moments later found an original 3v R30 on Ebay... bought that too... now I have a choice!

Again, thanks guys.

Here is the writing on the tail cap. (I've added Photos)

https://garrball.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/

garbal

Newly Enlightened
If for some reason you don't mind a cool white tint I have a malkoff m31 module that I can give you. It's pretty darn bright and simply sees no use at all right now. But malkoffs are great way to go. Or lumensfactory like scout suggested.

and WELCOME to CPF !!!

That is an amazing and generous offer, Please let me know how much to send you to mail it to Saskatchewan Canada S6V5R2 and I can EMT you some money.
Thank you very much!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Very nice condition, and great setup(s) now, with both modern and vintage accessories and options ....

Very cool offer too @Rstype :goodjob:

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decided to use rechargeable IMR 16340 battery, this could be your next choice.
Low cost bulb and no worry for high cost of primary batteries.
:twothumbs

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
garbal,
There are others who know far, far more about Surefire history than I do, but the asymmetrical plastic-y assembly is a clamp-on filter for your light. I cannot tell what type of filter it is from the photos, but Surefire has made that "clamp-down" filter in the proper size for that light (~1.25" diameter) in these types: an FM33 (an InfraRed filter, for use with night vision devices), an FM34 (a diffusion filter, or Surefire "beamshaper", which spreads the beam out to illuminate more area), an FM35 (red filter, which helps preserve night vision), an FM36 (blue filter, which I think helps one track a blood trail at night), and an FM37 (opaque protective lens cover, which I can tell yours isn't). I may have missed some. You can attach the filter by swinging the "arm' upwards, and sliding/pushing the unit onto the bezel (head), then pushing the "arm" back down against the side of the bezel (head). Once attached (or by itself), there is a tab/lever opposite of the "hinge". From the rearward side, pry the tab up, away from the filter assembly, and it will allow you to swing the filter around and against the hinge. The filter is disengaged at this point, and to use it, swing it back around the other way until the tab engages and "clicks". The other "cap" that you have is a later head (bezel). Since the bezel on your light is an earlier, more collectible version, I would make the suggestion of removing it, placing it in a safe place (making it a "shelf queen") and replacing it with the later, more worn, "faceted" bezel (head). The facets on that bezel are intended to make it an "anti-roll" bezel. If you place your light in its current configuration in a parallel orientation on a slanted surface (without the clamp-on filter), it can roll. The bezels on the other bezel are not to facilitate removal with a wrench, but to minimize it's ability to roll when gently placed on a slanted surface. Another potentially useful accessory to keep in mind is a Surefire Z26 lanyard ring - that goes in between the main body, and the tailcap/switch assembly, a wrist lanyard to go with it, and a more modern Z41 tactical tailcap/switch assembly (if you come across one at a good price), which will allow you to store your more collectible current tailcap/switch assembly next to your shelf queen bezel. Don't get rid of anything you have. Your friend has blessed you with a classic, collectible, and extremely useful light.

Last edited:

garbal

Newly Enlightened
Re: SURE-FIRE 3P Light and caps Thank you!

I had no idea flashlights were so collectible and popular... funny the things you might throw away might be valuable.

I guess the less on learned here is "do your homework".

Thank you all for your input and excellent sharing of knowledge!

Garr

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Epic scores there Garr. A 3P, the filters and an R30 module are getting scarce as there weren't that many made to start with way back when.
So having all three is certainly a triple play indeed.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened

The best thing you can do is to get a Malkoff M31W drop in just make sure you only use primary CR123s only.

I have an almost mint 3P with a
Malkoff M31W and RPM tail cap and it is one of my favorite old school lights.

Latest posts