Variations in Stylus Streamlight light patterns vs. pricing?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in danger of Stylus addiction, but having paid both high-end and low-end prices I'm wondering if others have noticed a difference in light pattern?

The Stylus 2 and 3 I first bought -- more expensive source -- had very smooth light patterns, with no obvious rings and shadows.

Later I found a low cost source, bought another Stylus 2 and 3, and both of those had obvious rings and shadows in the light pattern; the Stylus 2 light was also entirely off-axis, the LED was tipped.

That makes me wonder whether Stylus sorts them by quality of illumination and wholesales them at different prices -- but with a sample of 4 it could well be coincidence. Anyone else noticed a variation in the product's light pattern?

Heck, anyone else noticed the wide range in prices for these things? I've wondered if folks here are tracking retail prices, which vary a lot. If the price and product quality correlate, that'd be useful to know.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible that manufacturers do this kind of thing with LED's ?
I've read so much about variations in same specification LED's.

Hey, I wonder if there is a warehouse somewhere, full of low-paid workers grading the finished products for allocation to favoured outlets ......

lite-lover
frown.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif

steinie

Newly Enlightened
Dunno, but I sent Streamlight an Email about this one time. I've bought over 35 Stylus 3's, most all of them for Xmas presents. I've used 7-8 different ones myself, seems I keep giving them away to friends and family, and then opening another one for my daily pocket carry light.

Anyhow, the first batch I bought had a whiter, smoother light, or so it seems to me. The later ones were bluish, not as smooth. I even started checking serial numbers when I was opening the new ones to see if there was a correlation. I had asked them if they changed LED suppliers, or had switched production in mid-stream. Streamlight said "NO", same LED's and same supplier. This was about 3 months ago they said that. So, I don't know, but I do know that to me, the later ones I have **are** bluer, with a less smooth beam..............

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've encountered that too, but all of mine were bought online from the same (inexpensive) vendor. My first is a green one that has a smooth beam. The second is a white that also has a smooth beam. The third is a blue one that has a couple of rings. All of them seem to be on axis (enough for me anyway; I didn't expect them to be laser pointers). I assumed that different batches of LED's would make a difference since I don't have high expectations of quality control.

I've always wondered about the disparity in price that I've encountered. I got each of mine for $12, but most vendors seem to seem them for around $20. I still have yet to see them at a B&M store.

pro

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pointer; this place has had the lowest 2 and 3-cell Stylus prices I've found so far. And today-only 5/31 prices are 15% off anything in stock (mostly police-related gear): www.botachtactical.com. I haven't bought Stylus lights from this supplier yet, though they're my current first choice - so can't speak to quality vs price for this source yet. Odd little stuff; glare collar for the Stylus; a 'baton' 3-LED (3 "N" battery) keyholder/flashlight from Streamlight etc.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hank.... I'm sure you know the meaning of "trap", where you make something nice and attractive to your target prey, and once your prey is inside then you can do all the bul*@!#* to the hapless creature.

Once in a while other preys are treated well but those seems to be very very exceptional small number of preys. So you want to take your chance? Do you feel your an exceptional case? Do you feel lucky?

(edit) Btw, how'd you get those 5 stars? 2 months member with 9 posts...
confused.gif
let me in on the secret.
wink.gif

- verge -

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, Hi Hank, I know you are probably wondering what`s going on...over the past year or so some (many) of our members have had less than pleasant experiances with Botach. Enough so that even the mention of their name sends ripples through the forum.
tongue.gif

Some folks have had good service from them, though at the moment I can`t think of anyone.

Please forgive us for not explaining our reason for not being thrilled with their prices.

Edge, you deserve some stars, I always enjoy your posts, good thoughts/advise and you have been around for...well, longer than I can remember. Sorry, I very rarely think about rating a member...

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edge, I gave you 5 stars and noticed you had been given many before.

I removed my member rating myself...I keep loosing stars...trying to hold on to the few I got left...must be offending to many members as I get older and gruffy.
grin.gif

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
You folks qualify as guardian angels! I hadn't thought to search the site for the company's name but I will always do that from now on, before I mention one. I guess just searching for "www. " ought to find most of'em!

Maybe a list of good and not so good vendors is worth compiling, can they be awarded stars too? Thanks for the fast red flag on the item!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

LOL, Thank you.. thank you Ken, LOL....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

what's the burntime of those stars with 1AA batt?
confused.gif

- verge -

napalm-2002

Enlightened
i have bought a few of the stylus lights and can see a little difference between the.lets remember that leds are mass produced and there will be some flaws some times.

and yes i bought them all from Botach.
blush.gif

but,wait it was before i knew of this forum and their horror.

so i don't buy from them any more.
their 15% sale was tempting.they had the streamlight scorpion (my personal favorite) for 33$ + 15% off
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

but i held out.thanks everyone who enlightened me of botach
smile.gif

Latest posts