REVIEW: NightStick XPP-5422GMX

nickdano

Newly Enlightened
Good morning to everybody, today wewill take a look to the review of the NightStick XPP-5422GMX,Dual-Light flashlight, sent to me from NightStick; so i'll takethe opportunity to thank the Nightstick for the opportunity given tome.

Here you are the official flashlightpage:

https://www.baycoproducts.com/product/intrinsically-safe-dual-lights/item/xpp-5422gmx

Iwant to remind you in advance that my reviews are at the amateurlevel, the data entered are found with common level tools (so theymay differ from those of the parent company) and only express mypersonal opinion.

NBWZHr6.jpg

Before starting the review, I wanted tosay a few words about this flashlight; it has not just been createdto illuminate common working environments (it can also be used insimple work environments) but in places where flammable and explosivematerials are present. In fact this torch has a series ofcertifications that prove its safety; ETL Intertek, ATEX, IECEx,obviously there is also the CE mark. These global certifications makeit usable and tradable internationally.
Below I will show you what thesecertifications mean:

ETL INTERTEK

KtXiyAd.gif

ETL Listed Trademark, Product Securityfor US and Canada
Certification of compliance with UL,CSA, ANSI, ASTM and NFPA standards: Export safely to the NorthAmerican market
The ETL Listed Trademarks indicate thatthe product has been tested by an accredited third-party labcomplying with applicable product standards (ANSI standard, ULstandard, CSA standard, ASTM, NFPA) and minimum security requirementsto be sold and distributed in North America. ETL (Electrical TestingLaboratories) is a private independent organization that has beenactive for over 100 years in the field of measurements, beingoriginally founded by Thomas Alva Edison in 1896.

ATEX

ZLS5JHQ.png

ATEX is the conventional name thatbrings together two European Union directives
TheATEX Directive2014/34/EU coversequipment and protective systems intended for use in potentiallyexplosive atmospheres. The Directive defines the essential health andsaftey requirements and conformity assessment procedures, to beapplied before products are placed on the EU market. It is alignedwith the NewLegislative Framework policy,and it is applicable from 20 April 2016, replacing the previousDirective94/9/EC.

IECEX

KEHbPAR.gif

It is a diagram of the internationalcertification created by IEC in order to facilitate trade and sale ofproducts Ex.
One of the main advantages is thereduction of the costs of entry into international markets since, ifrecognized, schema IECEx allows conversion of certificate IECExwithout having to perform tests of additional type or in any caselimited to the sole national deviations of the country in which youwant to export.
The main certification documents of thediagram are:
• IECEx CoC = IECEx Certificate ofConformity
• IECEx ExTR =IECEx Test Reports ofthe tests performed on the product
• IECEx QAR = IECEx QualityAssessment Report of

the above mentioned definitions aredrawn from the internet, from websites of companies that providethese certifications

Now let's begin with the review:

PACKAGE

the flashlight arrives in a flat packof cardboard with pasted above, a shaped cover in transparent plasticthat shows the torch; together with it comes the manual and 3 AAprimary. In the front part, in addition to seeing the torch, we findwritten the name of the torch, some data, the modes of use of thetorch and the marks of the various certification.
KaTV9Zc.jpg

In the back, however, we have writtensome data and torch characteristics in three languages: English,French and Spanish.

wieeO6e.jpg

UjoiMl5.jpg

OFMYGrx.jpg

In this torchyou can use only batteries like Duracell Alkaline PC1500, EnergizerEN91 or the ENERGIZER LITHIUM L91 .
The Flashlight

Torch XPP-5422GMX has the body in thepolymer of yellow color "Shock" which makes it very visiblein dark environments or badly lit, as can sometimes be certain placesof work.
The dimensions, albeit quite generous,make it normally used with a single hand, and perfect for the workingenvironment; nor too small ( could slip or be easily lost) it toolarge ( do not need to use it with two hands and is not too heavy),as written above is the perfect size to be used comfortably with onehand, what is fundamental in a working torch.
The torch extent length 18cm in height4cm ,in width 3cm and the diameter of the head is 4.5 cm abouteverything in weight of 222g.

LGKtNgz.jpg

on the head of the torch you willimmediately notice the voluminous Bezel, that protrudes from the headfor approximately one centimeter, thanks to a battlement adapted toprotect the slide (plastic material) of the torch.
You will also notice that the bezelwill cover a good part of your head, going below the glass level, asin this torch it also has the task of fixing all the "group":lens, parabola and LED seat; thanks to a screw (later I'll talk abouthow to put the batteries in the flashlight and then everything willbe clearer).

y26wegr.jpg

bqwRl6z.jpg

Under the bezel, the head of the torchcontinues with grooves that, after a narrowing of the head, will formof rectangular projections which will seat buttons (at the top of thetorch), and seat for a second led that illuminate total flood (in thelower part of the torch).

Cm1iLz0.jpg

hY2nr0c.jpg

kp9Nji6.jpg

The two buttons are covered in blackrubber, with small furrows to give greater grip; both offer aconsiderable resistance and an audible click. The first (whichcontrols the led in the parable, which provides light throw) has alonger stroke with respect to the lower one, in that it can beactivated in momentary on; the bottom button instead has a shorterstroke ( controls the led without parable, total flood).
hY2nr0c.jpg

The body of the torch at the top issmooth, while the sides have grooves that increase the grip

pHSgX6m.jpg

h7h2FcR.jpg

Always on the body in the upper part tothe opposite side of the head, we find a clip of black plasticmaterial. This clip offers a considerable force which grips, thanksto two protrusions; a half torch body , the other on the trailingedge of the torch: The first is a small protrusion that creeps in theleaf of the clip, in such a way as to create even greater friction.The other projection ( larger dimensions) is the seat of the mightyspring which by force to the clip, and has a hole where his passesinside a metal ring; which in turn is attached to a lanyard ofbraided fabric black.

RFSviWj.jpg

gvisrSU.jpg

On the clip there is also one of thetwo magnets that lend an extreme comfort to this torch.

nJCS2pa.jpg

on the torch body are also present: thetrademark Nighstick and all certifications of the torch.
The lettering is perfect.

aRizm0o.jpg

RSMymE1.jpg

on the bottom of the torch is presentthe second magnet.

bIVo8a1.jpg

The parable is protected by a lens ofplastic material and , in the part furthest from the led iscompletely smooth; while in the part closest to the LED isorange-peel ( this means that the beam of the torch is at the sametime concentrated and that does not have imperfections such ascircles more or less bright etc.). The LED is perfectly centered inits seat, at the base of the dish.

p1ufUTS.jpg

uUmEpY1.jpg

The led on the bottom of the torchinstead, has not parable and is fixed on an electronic board;realized is protected by a lens the plastic material.

6Wd0oqh.jpg

Avik3kK.jpg

HOW TO INSERT THE BATTERIES?

To insert batteries there is a specificway, that is:
• Unscrew the screw on the bezel
• Once this has been done, remove thebezel by turning the lens (it will also be off)
• Slowly remove the parabola with theentire torch side inserted (the wig is secured by two screws to thepart where the two buttons, the second led, and the area where thebatteries are inserted, on the side of the latter zone there is asticker with all the torch certifications)
• Insert the batteries (only thoseindicated in the instruction manual) in the appropriate spaces
• Replace the battery compartment,with buttons and parabola attached, in the torch body
• Insert the lens and bezel (so thatit fits all)
• To stop the bezel you have tore-insert the waist at the beginning of the hole; be careful not totighten too much, otherwise they may cause damage to the lens.

OLmXOpp.jpg

s7rjcuW.jpg

uUmEpY1.jpg

5NeLJ3f.jpg

7FEibvp.jpg

pxJLqSm.jpg

WLZjwjb.jpg

QHVxboR.jpg

mf2raPp.jpg

51AhrwO.jpg

By opening the torch, you will noticejust how robust it is, as you will see that the torch body is reallythick and inside it has only the exact space to insert the batteryseat.

wD3e8eQ.jpg

PARAPHERNALIA AND COMFORT

As I have already said, the torch wasborn to be used in workplaces, so it needs to be handy andcomfortable; For this reason the torch is equipped with a lanyard andtwo magnets: the first one is of a highly woven fabric. This lanyardis adjustable to the wrist by means of a hexagonal plastic tubewhich, by friction on the lanyard, allows it to clamp and attach itto the flashlight holder.

RFSviWj.jpg

7YDWiQl.jpg

In the final part of the lanyard thereis a plastic block hex that unites and stops the two ends of thelanyard.

o0EdeU9.jpg

The two magnets present in thisflashlight are really useful, they can do so that the user does nothave to put the flashlight under the armpit, between the cheek andshoulder, and in any other area of the body that allows you to havehands free. Simply put the flashlight on a metal surface and you'redone; you can either have a flood lighting of the area in which youare working ( most of the times you will use the led without aparable), is a beam that will illuminate at a greater distance.

usa5tAn.jpg

vUggioH.jpg

NNQYjww.jpg

UI

The ui of the torch is really simple:
• The top button (closer to the torchhead) will light the led with the parabola, so you will have thethrow beam
• The lower button (far from thetorch head) will turn on the non-parabolic led, so you will have atotal flood lighting
• The two leds can be switched oneither individually or in pairs

BEAM AND PAINT

As I mentioned before, the torch isequipped with two lights; one with parabola and the other without, sothere are two completely different beams: the first one (given by theparabola led) is a throw bundle formed by a well-lit and concentratedspot, and by a not very bright spill that starts at 2.20 mt feet fromthe toes (with the torch set at about one meter in height). In thismode, the torch illuminates up to 187 m (ants), you can distinguish aperson about 110 m. The tint of this beam is very beautiful, it isnot the usual coolwhite or neutralwhite, it is a crystalline whitewithout any dominant.

9tluWAv.jpg

Photos about 20 cm from the wall

cRj8kIB.jpg

Beam Amplitude

k2QxhKy.jpg

Beam throw at 10 m

D1lmEQG.jpg

Beam throw at 25 m
The second beam is a total flood, thereis no spot, but a single spill. This bundle, like almost all of thistype, has a cold color and tendency to blue.
This mode is great for being used insymbiosis with the throw beam as it illuminates the walking areawell, thus avoiding the spill that departs far from the walkway.Overwhelmed by the flood mode, it illuminates tight spaces withouthaving to use speakers, and this bundle lights up well at a distanceof about 10-15 m.

z3hD3dX.jpg

Bake food about 20 cm from the wall

t7HoSDN.jpg

Flood beam amplitude

ODtB4Ik.jpg

Flood beam 10 m

LbmMEKh.jpg

Flood beam at 25 m

58pg1gO.jpg

Here, the torch is hung by a magnet,switched on in floo mode; note the comfort of these magnets

77I9fX2.jpg

Here 25m throw beam and at the sametime flood bundle grounded, in dual-light mode there is no problemwalking; as the flood beam illuminates the walkway, obviating thelack of spill on the tip of the feet.

DATA AND RUNTIME

The Lumen diagrams, lux and runtimecharts:
Specifically, the surveys were madewith common, non-professional tools, so the results are subjected toa higher level of errors from the (non-professional) tools and theoperator.

In lumen detection I found an increaseof about 40 lumens on both levels.
(the levels stated by the house are 210lumens for the throw bundle and 130 for that flood, I have detected252 and 170 lumens respectively)

WymSmUU.jpg

In the lux chart I found a slightlyhigher intensity. (The house declares 7970 cd, I have detected 8100lux / 1m). The luxometer detected 55 lux for the flood beam.

goaVfEf.jpg

Follow the runtime chart:

2NwJO9q.jpg

Below is the manual in English:

Lg5YCKj.jpg

SMALL PLOT

I want to point out some things:
• This torch isrequired / mandatory (written on both the manual and the box) onlyuse the following type of primary battery; DURACELL PC1500, ENERGIZEREN91 or ENERGIZER LITHIUM L91.
• Whenreplacing batteries, do not have to be in the presence of gases ordust that could ignite or explode as they could contaminate theinside of the torch and thus increase the risk of flames orexplosions.

PROS
• Various certifications for highrisk environments
• Quality of construction
• Double magnet
• Easy management of LEDs with onehand
• Perfect size and weight for a workenvironment
• Definitely not high price for atorch with these specific features
• Double led

CONS

Being a torch specifically designed towork in high-risk environments, I found nothing to detect.
PERSONAL OPINION

This torch really impressed me for itsqualities: I had to try it at home and at work, and I have to admitthat the coupled double led and double magnets are of extraordinarycomfort; allows it to be used without the hands occupied and withoutthe need for a diffuser filter. Besides, I was struck by the qualityof construction, holding it in the hand immediately feels thesolidity of this torch.

Here are some photos of the hand heldtorch; really comfortable, you can manage both led with one hand:

zSx9QOg.jpg

4xmWlWu.jpg

DO YOU RECOMMEND?

Obviously, all the certifications ofthis torch speak for themselves. This torch is perfect for anyone whodoes a job where he needs all these safety equipment.
But I want to spend two words on theflashlight in general:
it's really a well-made torch and thetwisted double magnet and double led I find it very useful andspectacular; it is not perfect for work alone, these features make itperfect even as a torch or emergency (I've also tried a tacticalmodel of this brand, TAC-540, and found it great). For this I'llattach the Nightstick product link:

https://www.baycoproducts.com/product

I take the opportunity to thank all ofthose who will take a few minutes to read my humble impressions andleave comments, advice, criticism and questions.

Greetings to you all! Stay tuned forthe next review!

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very thorough review!

Nice of them to include certification with Lithium/L91 batteries, as most manufacturers I see that make intrinsically safe lights only test(and certify) them with alkalines.

Considering that changing the battery involves taking out a screw and because of the more involved procedure some of these may end up loaded with cells and stored for long periods of time and may not be checked very often, the better storage life, performance and leakage-free characteristics of lithium cells will be a huge advantage.

The flood beam is also a very useful feature as a lot of lights meant for this type of usage produce very intense throwy beams.
Nice to have that option.

Definitely a nice alternative to other intrinsic lights out there.