Flashbang flashlight for selfdefence?

avalon11

Newly Enlightened
Anybody heard about compact flashlights with blinding flash? I researched best legal pocket selfdefence weapons and powerful flashlights looked promising especially intergrated with kubotans, pepper sprays or tasers. But I couldn't find flashlight that would feature high powered flash which would actualy require capacitor. That could be great weapon against bad men and carnivores. In dark 1000 lumen flashlight can blind but in daylight it's nothing because Sun can be bright as 100.000lux. Also these flashlights are bulky. For selfdence I want to carry something I can easily keep in pocket, keychain or clip on clothes and at same time have enough lumens to temporarelly incapacitate predator. Don't need to have long duration light, just few crucial second burst of light. So something like powerred with CR2032 batteries and capacitor should do the trick.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not aware of any such device. Many people use tactical lights that feature a strobe mode, although I don't think any handheld light will be useful for self defence while you and your attacker are both in broad daylight. That is, unless its used as an impact weapon.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To answer the question, no there isn't one. At least not yet, but when super capacitors become more wallet friendly then they'll probably be the next big thing "as seen on tv".

Kinda like those old camera flash bulbs. A modern day "flash light". Perhaps the military is working on it since they have big R&D budgets, but for the everyday user... not yet.

Kubatan is probably your best bet for the time being anyway.

Welcome to CPF.

Last edited:

CONCEPT1

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the Klarus XT2CR is something for you? Strobe with 1600 lumens , direct accesable with the special 'instant strobe' button and you have a strike bezel that you can use after blinding your enemy.

Light can be a very peacefull and lethal weapon, police and swat teams are also using lights to blind enemies.

stephenk

Enlightened
I'll second the Klarus XT2CR for being a good compact "tactical light". Link to review is in my signature.

I'd also be interested in a light than can deliver a flash (especially on a timer) for light painting purposes.

avalon11

Newly Enlightened
To answer the question, no there isn't one. At least not yet, but when super capacitors become more wallet friendly then they'll probably be the next big thing "as seen on tv".

Kinda like those old camera flash bulbs. A modern day "flash light". Perhaps the military is working on it since they have big R&D budgets, but for the everyday user... not yet.

Kubatan is probably your best bet for the time being anyway.

Welcome to CPF.

There are lots of effordable powerful 18650 flashlights but it's hard to find powerful pocket flashlights that can be carried anywhere. Don't know there isn't still electronic flashbang devices for selfdefence, they great make nonlethal weapon even attackers with guns. There are even tactical balls with lights that can work in dark: http://brite-strike.com/tactical-balls.html
Flash unit isn't actually that big, biggest thing is capacitor which is size of finger. Maybe breakthough in graphene technology will give supercompact capacitors and well they could replace traditional batteries.
It would be really good to have strobe flash but I guess three blinding flashes should be all needed to escape from danger in average situation. Powerful light production not also drains power quickly but also causes overheating, when it's limited to seconds these things less of an issue.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There are lots of effordable powerful 18650 flashlights but it's hard to find powerful pocket flashlights that can be carried anywhere. Don't know there isn't still electronic flashbang devices for selfdefence, they great make nonlethal weapon even attackers with guns. There are even tactical balls with lights that can work in dark: http://brite-strike.com/tactical-balls.html
Flash unit isn't actually that big, biggest thing is capacitor which is size of finger. Maybe breakthough in graphene technology will give supercompact capacitors and well they could replace traditional batteries.
It would be really good to have strobe flash but I guess three blinding flashes should be all needed to escape from danger in average situation. Powerful light production not also drains power quickly but also causes overheating, when it's limited to seconds these things less of an issue.

Good points. I was thinking special ops folks have a sort of hand grenade device the does the big flash a few times and maybe some smoke with it?
Best in darkness, or room clearing roles.
But for consumers, I dunno.

Gunpowder capacitor = Flash Bang Selfdefense. Magazine holds 15 flashes, no waiting.

~ Chance :p

NilacWC.jpg

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't think flashlights make good weapons for self defense with the possible exception of the MD2. It is a little brick so could be tossed at an assailant in legal self defense. It will probably work fine after because of the great build and potted electronics. Generally speaking flashlight self defense threads come to the same basic conclusion. They don't really work for self defense. Also they tend to get closed.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gunpowder capacitor = Flash Bang Selfdefense. Magazine holds 15 flashes, no waiting.

~ Chance :p

1238005822204_f.jpg

Good point. Maybe we can figure out how to mount an old rotating Kodack p&s film camera flash to a 2D Maglite.
If nothing else you'd buy a few seconds while the perp looks at you all puzzled like going "huh"...

I don't think flashlights make good weapons for self defense with the possible exception of the MD2. It is a little brick so could be tossed at an assailant in legal self defense. It will probably work fine after because of the great build and potted electronics. Generally speaking flashlight self defense threads come to the same basic conclusion. They don't really work for self defense. Also they tend to get closed.

Elzetta Alpha is the official David vs Goliath tool for the Bykfixer house.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rear Window is a good movie by Alfred Hitchcock.
The protagonist is stuck in a wheelchair with a full leg cast, he buys time as the killer approaches by repeatedly firing off camera flashes at him.
Hitchcock produces a killer's eye view of the flashes and momentary blinding, pretty good stuff.