Looking for the torch the Nitecore Concept should have been

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Just took delivery of the Nitecore Concept, and straight away it's obvious that on/off switch is terrible design! The instruction leaflet actually states that you should loosen the rear battery compartment cap to prevent accidental activation, and the switch actually looks like a hard knock could destroy it.

So, what torch should I have got?

I bought the Concept for a slightly odd reason - I'm going on a long night hike and wanted a back up torch that would essentially serve as a spare 18650 holder for my main torch for the walk which will be a Fenix HP25R headtorch.

I wanted something very minimal, but robust, ideally with very few modes - so that it could supplement my headtorch - either as a bright thrower, or as a very dim map-reader.

Unlike the Concept - I'd like it to have a decent activation mechanism that isn't so easily activated accidentally.

I'd like to get away with $50-60 dollar price range if feasible.

ven

Flashaholic
Check the Emisar D1 out, recommend the 5000k xpl HI version for colours over the 6500k option(subjective). Great UI, around $40 of you hard earned....................and a bargain! Mtn electronics USA side or int outdoor from Hank, they guy who makes them.

Next to the 18650 fed predator pro v2.5
gWYByC2.jpg

B3qIYCn.jpg

Last edited:

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Check the Emisar D1 out, recommend the 5000k xpl HI version for colours over the 6500k option(subjective). Great UI, around $40 of you hard earned....................and a bargain! Mtn electronics USA side or int outdoor from Hank, they guy who makes them.
Thanks Ven - they look decent. Do they have protection circuits or is this for protected cells only? Also, How do you rate them in terms of build-quality compared to say Fenix and Nitecore?

Klarus XT2CR
Thanks Stephen. I checked out your review as well, and that seems like a very capable torch. You mention the lack of moonlight mode, but I suspect 10Lm will make a decent map-reading mode, if needed. Like I asked Ven about the Emisar, how would you rate Klarus for build quality compared to Fenix and Nitecore? - 2 brands I know reasonably well and consider robust enough for my purposes.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they do.
Emisar D1 and D4 cannot use protected batteries. The battery compartment is too short for protected cells.

Build quality is excellent. UI is one of the best in any light. Much better than other lights on the market.

The D1 has a reasonable amount of throw (approx 450 meters), while the D4 is a flooder.

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
Emisar D1 and D4 cannot use protected batteries. The battery compartment is too short for protected cells.

Build quality is excellent. UI is one of the best in any light. Much better than other lights on the market.

The D1 has a reasonable amount of throw (approx 450 meters), while the D4 is a flooder.
Sold! My order is placed.

Thanks a lot for all of the assistance everyone.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks fireclaw, yes build is good, components are of a higher standard than most lights costing quite a bit more. Ano itself is not the greatest, by that I mean it will mark relatively easy but so do many other Chinese brands! To put another way, it is no worse than nitecore ano that I have experienced. Although not as good as zebralight, it's around average imo.

Enjoy! It could quite possibly be the best $40 you have spent on a light. Problem with this is not spending on more of them;)

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fireclaw, yes build is good, components are of a higher standard than most lights costing quite a bit more. Ano itself is not the greatest, by that I mean it will mark relatively easy but so do many other Chinese brands! To put another way, it is no worse than nitecore ano that I have experienced. Although not as good as zebralight, it's around average imo.

Enjoy! It could quite possibly be the best $40 you have spent on a light. Problem with this is not spending on more of them;)
It's type II hard anodizing instead of the robust type III.

ven

Flashaholic
I dont think there is a hard ano II, only the type III which is actually HA. Yes II will wear quicker than III, some manufacturers state II but its not! If its shiny its not III. III is usually a matte black or an olive green shade in colour. Also they usually dont match perfectly either. The 6p is II, shiny black ano. The C2 is III and a shade of green.

Here are a couple of z2's which are II, then an M2 which is III...........

So if glossy or shiny it has to be a II iirc...............as III is more of a flat colour. Not an expert, sure others will add better info. The III is usually twice as thick as II when applied.

Last edited: