Longbow 5210

Kbarrera

Newly Enlightened
Ok. Here goes. My son is a patrolman for the NYPD and got this light as a gift when he was a rookie.
quite simply....it doesn't work. I checked the switch...it's fine. So I just want to replace the led and control board or whatever. I'm a contractor with extensive experience trouble shooting boiler and hvac wiring, however I just would like to get a replacement led and get on with it.
so I need some help.
thanks

Al

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
I love these Longbows and you don't see them come up very often. they were from the best time in flashlight progression for me. Back when there was HDS and the venerable LUXIII was king of the hill.

I actually did some light modding on a cpl of them back then. I had the 1 cell and 2 cell versions just like the one in the link. They had a "pill" or separate capsule that contained the driver and led if memory serves. There was a place called the Sandwiche Shoppe that was a modders paradise for e series and Long Bow lights as well as others.

You could get capsules and leds there and boards. I think they are gone now along with most of the other cool places for flashlight enthusiasts as the hobby has changed so much since then.

You could very easily modify the light by at the least swapping out the led. I do know the light engines or capsules were potted. which means the electronics were encased in epoxy. this makes for a very robust light but it also makes getting the board out almost impossible .

you can try swapping out the led but some things to consider. Back then you had the domed LUX III led. the leds now are different so you will probably have to shim the led to make it work good with the optics used in the Longbows. there were some reflectors made for them back then but you will have a hard time finding them if at all.

the new leds may not work well with the optics used in the LB I don't know.

But swapping the led is simpl enough. you de-solder the leads and put a thin base of cheat transfer paste down and nest the new led ontop and re solder the wires onto the new led leads. I cant remember what the drive current was on those LB but maybe somewhere around 400ma? maybe higher?

I sure do wish I had my Longbows still now. I loved them and kick myself for selling them. they were top level quality front to back. I wish the industry would go back to its roots .

Hope this info helps and if you ever want to sell that Longbow let me know ok?

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
I see you said you checked the switch

I know they came out with a clicky at some point . the one shown and the ones I had were twisties. though you checked the switch if its a twisty are you sure you cleaned it well? if its been sitting for ten years it probably needs a good cleaning

Kbarrera

Newly Enlightened
It's a click switch. I checked it with a continuity tester and it definitely works. Still trying to find someone here that can change out the led for me.

Al