EDCing a Surefire 6px, G2x, Streamlight Strion or Similar?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I've been finding lately that I've been requiring more and more light for daily tasks. I guess I'm just spoiled by the high power lights at home and work, which makes my small EDC lights seem really weak.

I am considering carrying my Surefire G2x LE, Surefire 6px, or Streamlight Strion as an EDC to give me the amount of light I crave.

If any of you EDC any of these lights or something similar, how do you carry it? I don't like anything bulky on my belt, and I don't wear baggy pants to have a large light disappear in the pocket. I don't wear skinny jeans, but they aren't super loose. Cargo pants are a no go...wife hates them unless we are hiking/doing outdoors stuff.

I considered back pocket carry, but I am concerned that the lights will not be able to withstand the weight of being sat on...especially the G2x.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have my money tied up elsewhere, so a new light at this point is not an option :/

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My G2X-LE is always part of my rotation but I wear 5.11s to work.:)
Then again I have a Raven Concealment clip on it so if I decide to clip it to my belt when I wear jeans I could probably not mind the size.

Those three lights are just not the optimal size for pocket carry IMHO, more for belt/holster carry, so for tighter apparel I carry my E1D.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw a pocket clip of some kind on it. Check out the Dark Sucks Clip, Oveready Universal Clip or something like Robert mention from Raven. The Thyrm Switchback is another option as well.

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened
I back carried my G2X Pro with Raven concealment clip for a while. The problem I had with it was the switch is so proud I'm fairly certain it was being activated while sitting. Also, the larger diameter head is very noticeable in pocket. If you haven't looked into them yet, I recently picked up an atactical a1s and am very happy with it so far. It's slim, has a semi protected tail switch and puts out over 1,000 lumens for $30; usb rechargeable 18650 included.

Edit: I know you said no new lights, but a new clip like the raven concealment or dark sucks will run you $15-$25.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got Mountain Electronics highly rated holster for my G2 and 6P. Yes, they are on my belt, so they are noticeable, but I wear them at about 4 o'clock, so they don't get in the way of my pocket access or my seat belt. The only problem I ever had wearing them like that was with my first G2. I was wearing it more at the 2:00 to 2:30 position, and was slouched in a director's chair. I was carrying it bezel up, and noticed when I shifted position that my hip felt warm. My position had held the switch down long enough to bubble the plastic lens. This G2 was old enough that it did not have a lockout position on the tail cap, so I ordered a newer tailcap from Surefire, and have never had that problem again.

Keitho

Enlightened
I had the same issue, nephron, I wanted a better carry option without something on my belt, and rarely wear cargo pants/shorts. I ended up switching lights to the smallest 18650 I could find, the SC63. Spec sheet dimensions and weights seem close to other options, but make a large practical difference in my pocket. A 1" diameter vs a 1.25" diameter, for example, doesn't seem like it should matter, but it really does for me.

I always carry left front pocket, bezel down, with the pocket clip hooked to the outside of my pocket and most of the light inside the pocket. The top sticks out a little, and the clip is visible, which I'm ok with in most cases at work and in casual clothes. In dressier clothes, I usually go to a AA light inside a pocket.

EDC gear is all about compromise...looks vs performance vs size vs comfort vs cost...my personal compromises tend to drift and wander a little over time...

Nephron44

Enlightened
These are all great suggestions! I'll have to experiment a bit.

I recently saw a mysterious Surefire ad in a magazine that showed a sketch of a light with a normal G2x body and the smaller head of the G2z MaxVision. If only it were real, that would solve ALL of my problems!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You have good lights now.

There are other 'pocket clips' out there for less than the Dark Sucks clip, but they have a protrusion on the opposite side of the clip for attaching a lanyard. Well that thing ends like a pebble in your shoe. If you have a dremel or other way to slice it off the Solar Force clip is like $8 or something at places like Amazon or eBay.

Later when a few bucks shake loose perhaps consider a smaller 123 fed light like a Malkoff, FourSevens, PKDL or other 1 cell size.
Another option is the Pelican 2360 2xAA that easily pocket carries and is fairly bright. Look for the 5th generation version.

I really like the Maglite XL50 but found it tended to be turned on when I sit down. Sudden warmness inside my pocket coming from my flashlight was not a good feeling. If you don't mind twisting the tailcap to turn it on that's a good one because it can be locked out with a slight twist.

Last edited:

sc00ts19

Newly Enlightened