• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler on custom lights

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been building lights to accomodate the Pila 150S. I figured that this was a niche that hadn't been covered yet, but I haven't had much interest in them. Lots of lookers, but no takers.

My question is this, would it make the lights more appealing if I were to include a spacer that would allow running the light on a single 123 as well as the Pila 150S. These lights are only a little longer than a single cell light, but will run a BB700 in full regulation when used with a Pila 150S.

Would the spacers make a difference, or should I abandon the idea?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Tony, not to discourage you, but i believe it is a niche for a reason - the batteries themselves are kinda expensive, and so is the charger. Both are items not many people have at this moment.

But then, anyone who can afford your lights can also probably afford a 150S and charger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So i'd say just keep building your beautiful lights and they will come.

jtice

Flashaholic
Tony, Mark has a point about not many ppl having the Pilas.

I think you would have better luck if you made 2x123 size lights, that way, ppl can use 2x123s OR pilas.

Your lights seems great and are nice cuz they are CUSTOM. I am alittle surprised they havent sold better.

Maybe make them large enough ID for the larger OD Pilas, and provide a spacer, to they can use the smaller OD Pilas, and 2x123s.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice,

The problem with building a 3W light to run on a Pila is this. If I build a light in a size to accomodate a Pila 168 or 2X123's then you are limited to using the Pila 168S anyway. This is because a light with a DownBoy (buck) converter, to run on 2X123's, will not run a light in regualtion when feeding it with a Pila. Although it does run in a BRIGHT direct drive mode, it's still not regualted. I've been building my lights with Badboy (boost) converters and they will run the light in regulation with a Pila cell; however, putting 2X123's in the light will fry the light.

That why I settled on the Pila 150S. It's small. It will run in regualtion for an hour at 700mA and there's no chance of accidentally putting 2X123's into the light. I was under the impression that lots of guys had the Pila 150S cells to run in their 3 cell Surefires and I thought that my light would make a good compliment to those lights by using the same batts.

Here are a few links to some of what I've turned out.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MODS&Number=476283&Forum=

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MODS&Number=480651&Forum=

I just put a piece of aluminum into the lathe and what comes out, comes out.

I have another that I'll be posting soon.

links shortened by rothrandir to reduce horizontal scrolling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Chop,

Your design considerations are very well thought out, but I do agree with jtice and mark about the number of folks actually using Pila batteries.

One alternative, which may sell would be a light built around a Downboy that will use 3x123 or 2x150s. You would have to sacrifice the smaller form factor, but it would enable users without Pila's to use the light.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about putting together longer lights, but we already have the well designed and built McLux power packs as well as the UBH's.

If I start building lights with the intention of selling them, rather than selling them as an after thought, I suppose I'll have to start building them in a form conventional way.

Thanks for the input guys.

Greymage

Enlightened
Tony,

What about building very small luxeons? Judging by the results of the auction for the keylux lights there's some demand there.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in getting tube (similiar as UBH) that fit 1x168A and 2x150A. UBH doesn't fit Pila, not even 168s or 150s due to tight fitting. I think 168A would be great for 5W such as Mclux PR and KL4. 150A would be great for Mclux PR LIII.

For the moment, Pila 168s doesn't fit Mclux PR + E2 body due to its tight tolerance.

I think there're quite a few members out there does have Pila and KL4 or Mclux PR stuffs.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I forgot tube that fits 2 x 168A that fits P9/C3/D3. With 1.8A 168A, all of us could enjoy p91 better:)

You could sell it in mass through Pila dealers internationally too:)

Alan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of tubes, how about a 2x123 pack for the Arc4+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Chop,

I think you have a large market open if you make "tube" for some very friendly light like ARC4+.
You can made a set of tube, 1x150S + 123A adpator, 2X123A or 168S, 2x150S but not for 3x123A (9v are too hight), It's only a different size of tube, because the Arc4+ tailcap switch is removable !!