Streamlight Protac HL-X & Strion DS HL

SevereWX

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a Streamlight Protac 2L (the 260 lumen model), since mid-2013. It has been a great light for the most part, except for that doggone pocket clip that seems to pop off the light every other time I try to clip the light to the pocket of my work pants. I use my flashlight almost every day for various purposes and it has never once left me in the dark. But, I'm getting tired of buying CR123 batteries for it, so I was thinking it might be time for an upgrade to a rechargeable model. I figured I'd stick with Streamlight since they've been good to me, I've also got a Streamlight Siege D-cell lantern, and a little Bandit headlamp I like to clip to the brim of my cap when I need both hands free for tinkering around at the workbench.

So, I got to looking at the various Streamlight offerings and came across 2 different models that really caught my eye that looked like they would be good for pocket or belt holster carry. First I was looking at the Strion DS HL, and then I noticed the Protac HL-X. They're both similarly sized, they both use lithium ion rechargeable batteries, albeit by different methods; a charging dock for the Strion, which seems more convenient than unscrewing the back of the Protac HL-X every time I want to charge the 18650 it can use. But the Strion DS HL has dual switches which could be nice, but the Protac HL-X uses the ten-tap system which I'm already accustomed to using. The Protac HL-X also seems to be a little lumen happier, though the difference between 700 and 1,000 lumens would likely be insignificant for all but bragging rights.

I know there are plenty of other brands out there to choose from, but I've been happy with Streamlight for this long, so I figure I'll just stick with the brand for a while longer. There seems to be a lot of overlap between the two, very similar specs as far as maximum beam distance is concerned, very minor differences in weight and body length. The Strion boasts being assembled in the USA, but to be honest my little made in China Protac 2L has given me no complaints in overall quality and functionality save for that aggravating pocket clip popping off all the time. So chances are I'll likely be buying one or the other, that is the Strion DS HL or the Protac HL-X. I just can't decide what would make one choice more suitable than the other for a bright EDC light. Maybe I just need to flip a coin?

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
There's also the 2L-X, which uses an 18650 just like the HL-X. I own this and it's a nice light. Make sure you double check the Strion, it may be a proprietary battery for in-light charging.

You may be able to tape the clip. I've done that with my Protac 1L-1AA (another nice light)
412871396.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you don't mind it starting on high the Strion uses a press and hold UI to change output levels. High, hold for medium, low, medium, high. But always restarts on high.
2 quick clicks for strobe.

I really like that interface but... there's something to be said about the ability to start your light on Streamlights version of low these days that puts out a real nice amount for general use with the ability to ratchet up brightness as needed (or wanted). I don't own an HL-X so I'm not sure about strobe for the HL-X but my other ten tap lights when programmed to start on low eliminate the strobe altogether. If most of your needs is 25 or so lumens the ten tap is great.

I really like my old Strions. But unless you buy an extra battery or two, you may find yourself in need of a charge at an inopertune time. I use the slow charger and keep extras ready to go.
I think the side switch/tailcap is a knockout. A side-switched light is a great thing. But if you end up in a position where the tailcap is more convenient, you have that option. Heck, you got me wanting a DS Strion now.

Another one to consider would be the dual fuel ProTac 1L as a backup. Feed it a double A or a 123. Using a double A provides a great general purpose light with an easy to find inexpensive fuel source. For added punch using the 123 will wow your friends.

Last edited:

SevereWX

Newly Enlightened
Extra batteries are always a good idea, and that's what I really like most about the ProTac HL-X is it can run off a single 18650 or in a pinch 2 CR123 primaries. Hard to ignore how nice the dual switch setup is on the Strion DS HL though. I know from time to time when working with gloved hands, the tailcap switch on a ProTac can be a real pain to manipulate. It's sure is nice to have options from which to choose, no doubt about that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 74619 kit is a dual switch Strion with a piggy back charger so you can charge a spare battery while using the light... or both at the same time. Both are 3 hour chargers instead of the 11 hour type.

Oh, and the Strion DS now uses ten tap programming.

Last edited: