Epieon LED Replacement Bulb for C and D-Cell Mags

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used one of these guys: Epieon LED Replacement Bulb for C and D-Cell Maglites?

What are the realistic run times and outputs?

Mucho.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a page about the Epieon blub right here if it'll help.

The output will depend greatly on what flashlight you put it in. I don't have a 2- or 3-cell Mag handy, so I don't know what the output or runtime will be in one.

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
I have one in a 4C Maglite and I'm not very happy with it. With the hightly polished reflector of the mag, you get a small spot with almost no spill or if you try to widen the beam, you get a big ring with a very dark center. I haven't tried it in a faceted relector but that would probably be the way to go. I also have an Everled in a 3D Craftsman light that has some lines and rings in the beam pattern but is much more useable IMO. The high quality reflector of the Mag works against you with an LED.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Re: Epieon LED Replacement Bulb for C and D-Cell M

I've got a 3 cell version installed in a 3-D Mag. You can expect a good 10 days of continuous light on fresh D cells, steadily dimming the entire time. After 5 days it will give about Arc AAA/CMG infinity light level. When batteries are fresh it is very bright and a huge improvement over the stock Mag bulb. The beam is focusable, and yes you do get a very tiny hot spot on tightest focus, but it can be expanded out. Side-spill is as good as any bulb in a Mag. I think I won the Luxeon Lottery in my Epieon, the color is the whitest of all the high-dome Luxeon lights I've seen in person. There are definitly less rings and artifacts in the beam than with a stock bulb. I compared side/side with an Arc 4 a few nights ago and the beams look alike with similar hot-spot, but the reflector size difference shows in the side-spill area. A lot bigger with a Mag/Epieon.

The concensus seems to be that the 3-cell versions give the best brightness. The 2-cell verison uses hand-picked LED's to work with the lower voltage and are rarer to find, and the 4 or more cell versions simply increase the resistance value to keep current within safe levels in the LED.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

BF Hammer,
In what way is it an improvement over the Mag bulb. Is it brighter, longer throw, or just a bright white and wide beam?

If I have a light as big as a 2 cell Mag, I want brightness, including a good throw.

At $39.95 it would have to be very good to be worth the price.

Thanks,
Jerry

BF Hammer

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
BF Hammer,
In what way is it an improvement over the Mag bulb. Is it brighter, longer throw, or just a bright white and wide beam?

If I have a light as big as a 2 cell Mag, I want brightness, including a good throw.

At $39.95 it would have to be very good to be worth the price.

Thanks,
Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]
The beam is white instead of yellow, has less rings and artifacts in the beam, and noticably brighter than the stock Mag bulb. I realize that there are replacement incandescent bulbs that make the Mag very much brighter with longer throw, but the epieon won't burn out when the light is dropped onto a hard surface as all incandescents are prone to.

You have to choose what the flashlight's job is for when deciding on a bulb for it. Jerry, you if simply want to get brighter illumination for the extra size then you would be better served with an aftermarket xenon bulb. In my case I already had this flashlight for over 10 years and I wanted to convert to LED for the extra run time on batteries and better reliability - the bulb won't burn out. I got all this without sacrificing brightness using the Epeion. The whiter color and smoother beam was just an added bonus.