MD4 Body Bore Defects

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Re: MD2-4 Body Bore Defects

I'm willing to bet Gene Malkoff will replace this ASAP and look into his machining source! None of my MD2s (and I have 3 right now) are anything like that. I had an MD4 once before I went all single cell and it was nice too.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's the sort of thing that Gene would want to know about.
Let him know, I'm more than sure he'll sort you out.
[email protected]
Just out of interest, did you buy your Wildcat direct from Malkoff?
P

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast

Only 2 post on this forum and both criticizing Malkoff, I'm suspecting a knucklehead or a troll.

If you've read any of the Malkoff thread on this site you'll realise that what you have doesn't come up to their usual standards, if you haven't given then time to rectify the issues before starting a new thread dedicated to it then shame on you.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any photos ?
Photos yes, but can't figure out how to post photos from my phone gallery? I have No PC..
I'm Not a plant, just an old Aerojet machinist with high standards when comes to machining.
I did finally get email reply from Malkoff. He did Not offer replacement parts, which I found interesting, but did offer a refund. This makes me think (maybe) he's back ordered on Grade A parts, and I may have received second rate parts. Btw, Originally my V6 order was "Not Available" then later that same day I received notice it was. When viewing by eye with a weapons bore light the inside finish isn't the best, and does Not effect functionality. So, pretty much what you can't see won't hurt yah

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Photos yes, but can't figure out how to post photos from my phone gallery? I have No PC..
I'm Not a plant, just an old Aerojet machinist with high standards when comes to machining.
I did finally get reply from Malkoff. He did Not offer replacement parts, which I found interesting, but did offer a refund. This makes me think (maybe) he's back ordered on Grade A parts, and I may have received second rate parts Btw, Originally my V6 order was "Not Available" then later that same day I received notice it was.. - If anybody would like to see the defects email me and I'll forward photos. I can't get into battery bore too deep with my phone camera. However, when viewing by eye with a weapons bore light the inside finish is shamefully bad.. IMHO
Email: [email protected]

In the event of (cosmetic) "blemish" parts, Malkoff sells these at a discount and clearly identified as such.

• (quoted from website) ...

Blem defects include, but are not limited to:

Anodizing Defects

Scratches, Scrapes, Dings

Lazer engraving errors

Structural integrity, functionality, and beam characteristics are NOT compromised. The defects are cosmetic in nature. The lens and gasket are included.

All Blemished Items are Clearly Marked with an Engraved "B"

Based on his long history of integrity, as many here can attest, I find it very unlikely that Malkoff would use "second rate parts" in any case where function could possibly be compromised.

Therefore, your speculation above seems unfounded, at best.

Have you returned your item(s) for a refund ?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Only 2 post on this forum and both criticizing Malkoff, I'm suspecting a knucklehead or a troll.

If you've read any of the Malkoff thread on this site you'll realise that what you have doesn't come up to their usual standards, if you haven't given then time to rectify the issues before starting a new thread dedicated to it then shame on you.

Love this. One in ten thousand Malkoff devices may be flawed. I've never got one, despite plenty of spending on the website. However, if I had a problem, I'd let Gene fix it before making an international case online.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Crazy things happen. We all know sometimes flawed stuff gets through the QC and out the door. That one in a hundred we forgot to check.

Unfortunately it seems this one was sent to a discriminating machinist. Doh!

@knuckle; the ugly body you received is not typical of Gene Malkoffs work.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

Spoke with Malfoff tonight, Not Blems, returning for exchange. I like the optics to much to ask for refund. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is my first Malkoff flashlight (fimilar with his drop-ins) I asked the public because wasn't sure if the flaws were common. My bad? Thx..

I have over a dozen Malkoff dropins and eight or nine bodies. After reading these last posts I took a few of them apart and saw no notable flaws or anything like knucklegary mentions. Probably you got the rare bad one. However I'm also not a machinist and my expectations are probably different. All I can note is that all of mine at least equal the best machining of any other lights I have from Elzetta, Surefire and Peak. Hopefully the exchanged one will be better- as you say, the light's beams/outputs are so good it's a shame to miss them!

dhunley1

Enlightened

I find it's always best to give people the chance to make things right before taking my frustration to the web.

Glad to hear that you're getting this sorted out, which comes as no surprise.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, my md-4 tube looks bad inside. First thing i noticed about the md-4 tube, many many years ago. It's so bad that i insert batteries from the head end, and worry about the battery wrapping everytime i swap batteries.

markr6

Flashaholic

I find it's always best to give people the chance to make things right before taking my frustration to the web.

I couldn't agree more. Once it's out there, it's out there. Then someone will come across this after a quick google search and say, "junk", move onto the next brand after reading the first 2 sentences of the OP, and call it a day.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

I couldn't agree more. Once it's out there, it's out there. Then someone will come across this after a quick google search and say, "junk", move onto the next brand after reading the first 2 sentences of the OP, and call it a day.

Strange that this MD4 tube issue is not unique any more (post #17).

Beard Man

Enlightened
My recently purchased MD4 body is roughly finished with very poor machining. Being a retired machinist it appears to me the machine tooling needed sharpening, and/or operator ran out of coolant cutting fluid - This Wildcat V6 is my first Malkoff, are all (current) MD2-3-4 bodies finished roughly? Appears ID is brush sanded inside body bores to clean-up poor machining, and/or anodize leakage during plating - My MD4 body ID at switch end and especially mid tube looks like it was machined using a paper clip for a cutter! From all the hype I've read about Malkoff poor machining was not expected after spending $170 for an American made flashlight.

My Malkoff MD2 machining just great!

Last edited: