Wuben        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MD4 Body Bore Defects

Flashaholic*

Default MD4 Body Bore Defects

////// ISSUE RESOLVED -- COMPLAINT RESCINDED //////
    Last edited by knucklegary; 02-07-2018 at 12:50 PM.

A&Q Moderator

Default Re: MD2-4 Body Bore Defects

Did you contact the company?
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Any photos ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

I'm willing to bet Gene Malkoff will replace this ASAP and look into his machining source! None of my MD2s (and I have 3 right now) are anything like that. I had an MD4 once before I went all single cell and it was nice too.

That's the sort of thing that Gene would want to know about.
    Let him know, I'm more than sure he'll sort you out.
    gene@malkoffdevices.com
    Just out of interest, did you buy your Wildcat direct from Malkoff?
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 10-08-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Only 2 post on this forum and both criticizing Malkoff, I'm suspecting a knucklehead or a troll.

If you've read any of the Malkoff thread on this site you'll realise that what you have doesn't come up to their usual standards, if you haven't given then time to rectify the issues before starting a new thread dedicated to it then shame on you.

Just what I was thinking, Dave, but too shy to say it.
    P

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Any photos ?
    Photos yes, but can't figure out how to post photos from my phone gallery? I have No PC..
    I'm Not a plant, just an old Aerojet machinist with high standards when comes to machining.
    I did finally get email reply from Malkoff. He did Not offer replacement parts, which I found interesting, but did offer a refund. This makes me think (maybe) he's back ordered on Grade A parts, and I may have received second rate parts. Btw, Originally my V6 order was "Not Available" then later that same day I received notice it was. When viewing by eye with a weapons bore light the inside finish isn't the best, and does Not effect functionality. So, pretty much what you can't see won't hurt yah
    Last edited by knucklegary; 10-09-2017 at 12:37 AM.

You may use this one: https://postimages.org/. You don’t need a computer to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Photos yes, but can't figure out how to post photos from my phone gallery? I have No PC..
    I'm Not a plant, just an old Aerojet machinist with high standards when comes to machining.
    I did finally get reply from Malkoff. He did Not offer replacement parts, which I found interesting, but did offer a refund. This makes me think (maybe) he's back ordered on Grade A parts, and I may have received second rate parts Btw, Originally my V6 order was "Not Available" then later that same day I received notice it was.. - If anybody would like to see the defects email me and I'll forward photos. I can't get into battery bore too deep with my phone camera. However, when viewing by eye with a weapons bore light the inside finish is shamefully bad.. IMHO
    Email: perfengr@hotmail.com
    In the event of (cosmetic) "blemish" parts, Malkoff sells these at a discount and clearly identified as such.

• (quoted from website) ...

Blem defects include, but are not limited to:

Anodizing Defects

Scratches, Scrapes, Dings

Lazer engraving errors

Structural integrity, functionality, and beam characteristics are NOT compromised. The defects are cosmetic in nature. The lens and gasket are included.

All Blemished Items are Clearly Marked with an Engraved "B"

Based on his long history of integrity, as many here can attest, I find it very unlikely that Malkoff would use "second rate parts" in any case where function could possibly be compromised.

Therefore, your speculation above seems unfounded, at best.

Have you returned your item(s) for a refund ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    Only 2 post on this forum and both criticizing Malkoff, I'm suspecting a knucklehead or a troll.

If you've read any of the Malkoff thread on this site you'll realise that what you have doesn't come up to their usual standards, if you haven't given then time to rectify the issues before starting a new thread dedicated to it then shame on you.
    Love this. One in ten thousand Malkoff devices may be flawed. I've never got one, despite plenty of spending on the website. However, if I had a problem, I'd let Gene fix it before making an international case online.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Crazy things happen. We all know sometimes flawed stuff gets through the QC and out the door. That one in a hundred we forgot to check.

Unfortunately it seems this one was sent to a discriminating machinist. Doh!

@knuckle; the ugly body you received is not typical of Gene Malkoffs work.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic*

Spoke with Malfoff tonight, Not Blems, returning for exchange. I like the optics to much to ask for refund. Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 10-09-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Flashaholic*

This is my first Malkoff flashlight (fimilar with his drop-ins) I asked the public because wasn't sure if the flaws were common. My bad? Thx..

I have over a dozen Malkoff dropins and eight or nine bodies. After reading these last posts I took a few of them apart and saw no notable flaws or anything like knucklegary mentions. Probably you got the rare bad one. However I'm also not a machinist and my expectations are probably different. All I can note is that all of mine at least equal the best machining of any other lights I have from Elzetta, Surefire and Peak. Hopefully the exchanged one will be better- as you say, the light's beams/outputs are so good it's a shame to miss them!

I find it's always best to give people the chance to make things right before taking my frustration to the web.

Glad to hear that you're getting this sorted out, which comes as no surprise.

Flashaholic*

Yes, my md-4 tube looks bad inside. First thing i noticed about the md-4 tube, many many years ago. It's so bad that i insert batteries from the head end, and worry about the battery wrapping everytime i swap batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    I find it's always best to give people the chance to make things right before taking my frustration to the web.
    I couldn't agree more. Once it's out there, it's out there. Then someone will come across this after a quick google search and say, "junk", move onto the next brand after reading the first 2 sentences of the OP, and call it a day.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Once it's out there, it's out there. Then someone will come across this after a quick google search and say, "junk", move onto the next brand after reading the first 2 sentences of the OP, and call it a day.
    Strange that this MD4 tube issue is not unique any more (post #17).

Default Re: MD4 Body Bore Defects

My recently purchased MD4 body is roughly finished with very poor machining. Being a retired machinist it appears to me the machine tooling needed sharpening, and/or operator ran out of coolant cutting fluid - This Wildcat V6 is my first Malkoff, are all (current) MD2-3-4 bodies finished roughly? Appears ID is brush sanded inside body bores to clean-up poor machining, and/or anodize leakage during plating - My MD4 body ID at switch end and especially mid tube looks like it was machined using a paper clip for a cutter! From all the hype I've read about Malkoff poor machining was not expected after spending $170 for an American made flashlight.
    My Malkoff MD2 machining just great!
    Last edited by Beard Man; 10-10-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post

Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Beard Man View Post
    My Malkoff MD2 machining just AWESOME!
    Mine is absolutely OK as well. I guess this might be MD4 issue exclusively.

A&Q Moderator

My MD2 is flawless but don't own a MD4 body.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

This is my first Malkoff flashlight (fimilar with his drop-ins) I asked the public because wasn't sure if the flaws were common. My bad? Thx..

Yeah kind of, at least among a few brands in particular. You either quietly get a refund and never mention it, or exchange it for one you love & praise their stellar CS for doing so. But never complain on the forum before contacting the maker (or after). Or else face the consequences of collectors on the internet getting mad at you. And forgive me, because now I do have to join the chorus here, and pull my weight helping admonish you:

It's a TOOL, not jewelry. HOw much time do you spend looking INSIDE the tube? Hey I'll buy it from you heh heh heh. Not for white wall hunters. Just USE it etc. etc.
    The TEN POSTS PER DAY post count challenge:
    Click the "About Me" tab on your profile page and see how YOUR post count stacks up with the competition (Current Champ: 11.34 posts per day)!

Flashaholic*

Both my md-2's are great, but not the md-4. Not a big problem to fix if i want to. some sandpaper, a stick and a drill and it's done faster than i can write a email. So some day i might fix it.

Last edited by jorn; 10-10-2017 at 01:08 PM.

I find it ironic that the loudest voices when it comes to tint, runtimes, interface and even body coating are shouting "shouldn't put your complaint on the web for everybody to see new guy".

Look in the mirror fellas before telling a new member what is in good or poor tastes in your collective opinions. Not calling out any names here. Just saying think back before boasting how others should handle themselves.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I find it ironic that the loudest voices when it comes to tint, runtimes, interface and even body coating are shouting "shouldn't put your complaint on the web for everybody to see new guy".

Look in the mirror fellas before telling a new member what is in good or poor tastes in your collective opinions. Not calling out any names here. Just saying think back before boasting how others should handle themselves.
    Maybe it's a gray area. Everything you describe are aspects of the light. Machining is different...it IS the flashlight. The components or features put into the flashlight (UI, LED, etc) are different.

Tint is so wildly varied, from another 3rd party have you, that it's always going to come up. That's just subjective feedback. The UI is a choice by the manufacturer, all or nothing. 1 mode? 5 modes? Easy? Difficult? You don't hear "the UI quality is ok but not great".

Runtimes are the same. Did they do a good job creating the circuity and choosing the modes? They either did or didn't. It probably won't vary between flashligh A, B and X off the line.

I can go on and on, but people are going to be on either side of the fence on this one. But I think it is fair to work "cosmetic defects" out with the manufacturer. Other features like UI or characteristics like tint are fair game to be criticized just like anything else you buy, from a car to coffee to toilet paper.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    It is one thing to disagree about the features you have listed. It is another thing entirely to accuse a reputable manufacturer of substituting second rate parts for grade A, especially before to warranty transaction was complete. Everything, even criticism, is open to criticism.

By by the way, no offense intended toward the OP.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

When I got my MD4 with Hound Dog head (older toilet plunger shape) I noticed the bore looks messy. Functionally it's fine but has obvious banding and machining marks. If I put my pinky in there I can feel an uneven texture but it's not rough, the main thing being that even my fattest 18650s have a little rattle due to the size of the bore.
    Just checked my MD2, no banding but still obvious unclean machining with a textured feel and reasonably large bore.
    Functionally they both work fine and don't damage batteries so no issue to me.

This guy has got a pretty rough trot here with some posts. He stated he was some kind of machinest with high standards so I can see how he might question quality of the bore so I wouldn't simply write him off as a goose as some have done.
    This seems to happen quite a lot when people call out favoured brands unfortunately.

^^ Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast