windows xp logout?

kev1-1

Enlightened
In windows XP how do you stop, or increase the length of time it takes, the computer from dropping you back to the login front page if you don't move the mouse for a while?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the screen saver window. To do that you can right click on the desktop, then click Properties > Screen saver.

If you don't want to get logged off, uncheck the "on resume, display welcome screen" box.

If you click the Power button, you can adjust the time before it shuts off the monitor. I guess you could keep it going forever, but I think that would be a bad idea.

If you never shut it down, you will wear out the "picture tube" on a CRT or you will wear out the backlight on a FPM.

By the way, the actual screen saver that moves stuff around on the screen, serves no purpose anymore since the monitor can be put on standby. But if you find it entertaining, I guess you could use that too.

If you really like screen savers, try Linux. I'm not sure what else Linux is good for, but my Red Hat Linux sure has lots of screen savers.

Oh oh, now I've done it. I was just kidding about Linux, honest I was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Microsoft really outdid themselves obfuscation wise, when they called that box "on resume, display welcome screen".

I would have overlooked it too, except in Win2000 (and NT) it's called "require login after screensaver", or something like that.