Thoughts on Maglite Mag Tac Series?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I know there are so many more lights that you would all recommend over Maglite any day, and I know that there are many threads debating the worth of Maglite. I want to preface with the fact that I am not looking for opinions on Maglite in general.

What I am looking for are opinions on the Mag Tac Series, particularly the 2 cr123 model with the crowned bezel.

I have many Streamlights and a few Surefires, but each and every light I own has a flaw that I can't get past. Either it's too long, too short, the head is too big, beam isn't bright enough, body is too thin, etc. Also, price steers me clear of a lot of the higher end lights, like the Surefire Aviators or backups.

I find myself coming back to the Mag Tac over and over and over again. I have held one, and it is the perfect size, weight, and brightness for what I am looking for in an EDC/work light. I have a desk job, and metal clips have been wreaking havoc on my slacks and shoulder bags; perhaps the polymer clip may be beneficial!

I would have bought one already, but the reviews I have found on this forum are not great at all. However, all the reviews I found were at least a few years old, and products do improve over time. It's also endorsed by the NTOA, so they must not be all that bad...

I'm hoping to gain some input from someone with more recent experience with this light.

How's the switch?

How's the clip?

Any problems with the lens?

Is the lens glass or cheap plastic?

How's the battery life?

Any significant battery drain when not in use?

Any problems with accidental activation in the pocket?

Any experience with customer service or getting replacement parts?

Any input will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I had the foliage green version and sold it. The lens is plastic. I thought it went through batteries too fast; parasitic drain? And the color/tint on mine was too cool. I have gravitated more towards neutrals and warms...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 3 Mag Tacs and wound up giving them away. For the money what you are actually getting is a good host for a project. The grenade grip pattern, very high quality anodization and good switch are all very very good. What is not good is that this "tactical" light has a cheap plastic lens. The head of the light where the reflector is made of plastic not metal for some reason. Output is low for the layout of the light. I will say that the light feels very good in hand. The machine work on the aluminum body is very good. Was really let down by the Mag Tac I got one as soon as they made it into stores.Mag needs to at least change the name of the light. It just is not really bright enough to be tactical and I think it is IPX4 rated either that or IPX6...The closest in size light I have to it is believe it or not my several years old Fenix PD32 XPG2 S3. The Fenix has an optical grade glass lens, the PD32 still has a visible output advantage of the Tac. PD32 is also IPX8.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine.....feels great in hand, the electronic tail switch is very nice and it is bright enough for my uses with very good throw. Would like a little warmer tint and maybe a different clip (I don't really use the clip much, I usually carry it in a belt pouch).

aphid

Newly Enlightened
I gave one to my SO to use and she is very happy with it although she is far from an expert on Tactical flashlights(she does however scream crenellated bezel at the top of her lungs when I ask for her opinion)

Hollywood5926

Newly Enlightened
I have the mag-tac rechargeable light . I purchased it about a month ago and have read a few bad reviews on it prior to purchase.
despite the negative reviews I purchased anyhow.
once I received the light I was initially impressed.
throught use over the last month I've had some issues. the batter is a lifepo4 and has 1.4mah which is quite small, the run time is actually pretty horrible in my opinion.
The pocket clip uses the cheap plastic tool to tighten it against the body which requires you to really tighten it or else it will slip on the light. If you use the toll they give you it damn near snaps off the first time. I used an Allen wrench instead.
some complaints about the tail cap switching from high to low I've found to be true. It's for sure a known issue with maglite because they put it in their 300page instruction manual.
Mover all I like the light. Wish it had a high mah. Battery and wish they had a lower profile clip design. And fix their known tail cap issues .