Silicon grease

billgr

Newly Enlightened
I've read here that its good to put silicon grease on my O rings. Why? would vaseline be almost as good?
thanks

unnerv

Enlightened
the grease will lubricate the ring, and keep it from hardening. It also helps make the light more water resistant.

Depending on the oring, vaseline (or any petrolium based lube) may eat the ring. Silicon grease tends to be the most friendly. You can buy it at hobby shops that sell rc cars, or dive shops for high quality silicon.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two I have used and like are....

Please note these are dielectric (non-conductive) and may not be suitable on the threads if they are a part of the circuit. I use just a little on the o-rings only. If you get some on the threads you will be fine though. You do not need much of this stuff, just little bit.

Radio Shack Lube Gel

and

Do-It-Best Silicone Grease

**The Do-It-Best lube is 90% pure silicone and contains no petroleum additives.**

Mike

photon555

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a 3 oz. tube of Dielectric connector grease at a local Trak auto store for about 6 dollars. It is made by VersaChem and states it is 100% silicone. Part No. 15330. On the package it states that it is intended to lubicate spark plug boots, and resist arcing and voltage leakage on electrical connections. It also waterproofs and is high temp safe. I have used it on most of my lights with good results. It only takes a very small amount as you said, this tube will probably last for years. I put it on the battery terminals, O rings, threads, and the flashlight contacts. I think it is supposed to actually improve the electrical connections and prevent corrosion.

photon555

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I just noticed that the part No. on the package is 15339. On the tube it is 15330 as I stated. If you ask for it by part No. at the counter I guess it might be the package No.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire says "DO NOT USE PETROLEUM" grease on Orings- Slicon only. Vaseline works but is petroleum and probably rots the rubber after a few years.

NikolaTesla
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Lights: ******************* CAREFULL: The last one is NOT UL approved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STREAMLIGHTS: KEY MATE, TTL-2D, TTL-3C, TL3-LED(5watt), STINGER XT-HP,
TTL-2L, TL-3AA (1 watt LED). BRINKMAN LEGEND LX. VECTOR SPORT LIGHT 1 MILLION CP.
SUREFIRE: 6P, L6 (5watt)LED. Cygolite 16 watt dual beam.
MAGLITE 2AA, 3C. Acro X990 HID. NikolaTesla 1.5 KW 1.5 Million Volt Arc light (I have Torus
blown 15KW style primary Arc & 175 amp @ 12.5 KV High Q rated .068uf resonating capacitor)

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
My favorite O Ring (flashlight) lubricant is Super Lube. It is a clear synthetic grease with Silicon. It is dielectric, it has a temperature range of -45 to 450 degrees F and it is non-toxic. I get it in 3 oz tubes for $3.00 at a local industrial supply. You can also get on line at http://www.super-lube.com

James