Olight M3X - UT - Comfortable to Carry for General Use

Sun Boy

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

My son wants a high powered thrower. He is only11. He has chosen the M3X-UT.

Given the dimensions of this light is it comfortable to hold and carry for walks etc (i.e. is it front heavy given size of reflector and narrow body).

Any other alternatives with similar output / beam and more streamlined body?

Regards

Sun Boy

Keitho

Enlightened
The L16 comes to mind...a bit smaller, a bit less throw, more light output. Still pretty solidly built to withstand abuse from an 11 year old.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Hi. Yes the m3x-ut would be a great choice. Only thing is holster carry may be awkward. Also the in series battery configuration Comes into play.

My 9 year old has an m2x-ut which he loves. I chose it because its only a single cell. The size is ideal for him. He did a youtube review if you want to watch it.

Theyre not heavy lights. And the UI is fairly straight forward.

If you can spend more money look at silent Thunder Ordnance strike of hyperion its a small light.

I also highly recommend the dereelight XSvn from skylumen although it is front heavy

Last edited:

Sun Boy

Newly Enlightened
The L16 comes to mind...a bit smaller, a bit less throw, more light output. Still pretty solidly built to withstand abuse from an 11 year old.

The L16 has 2000 lumen with cd 90800 and the M3X - UT 1200 lumen with cd 250,000. Which one would appear brighter at say 500m. Also is cd linear? (i.e. is 250,000 say 3x more intense than 90,800 to the eye).

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both lumen and cd vary by the square root. So, the difference in lumens is 2.4 times, and the difference in cd is 1.6 times.
People tend to look only at the center of the beam (hot spot) to judge "brightness". Therefore, cd is more important in that respect.
There is a concern with batteries in series and youth. The cells need to be perfectly matched & charged the same.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure your 11 year old boy is responsible enough to not blind anybody with the hotspot of these super throwers?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Candela should be prioitised for throwers.
My dereelight XSvn is only 300 lumens but has 450000Cd and the beam is very impressive. It left much more of an impression then the thrunite Tn42vn i used to have which had over 2000 lumens and 775000Cd because the dereelight beam is so tight and penetrating.

M3x-ut is the way to go. But cells must be Matched! Safer option are single cell m2x-ut or dereelight XSvn

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a single cell convoy c8. It's cheap, it throws, only single cell so mutch more safe for a 11 yo. And if he looses it, you can buy another one. Get the one with xp-l hi led.