Led Lenser Trash P7 and P3

macropin

Newly Enlightened
Hi gang,

I've got a broken Led Lenser P7 and Led Lenser P3 here. Both have broken tail switches. The P7 has been "repaired" under warranty more times than I recall. I've probably spent close to $100 on registered postage shipping it back to Zen Imports for warranty service. Every time it comes back I have the same issue, the switch fails to turn off completely, then the batteries leak and corrode the innards.

Is there any point in saving these for mods or DIY repair? Or should I cut my losses and throw them in the bin?

It would be a shame to trash them given that the optics are pretty good. But I'm sick of looking at them considering how expensive they were especially since my cheap Ultrafires never fail me.

Cheers,

narmattaru

Enlightened
i`d throw them away

every time when someone tries to sell one of LLs at our russian forum he ends up with no success.
no one want to mess with them. too expensive for such bad quality.

stephenk

Enlightened
I've dropped my P7.2 and P7QC countless times and they still function perfectly. Overpriced, yes, but they are solid and reliable. You must be pretty unlucky to get so many failures!

macropin

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, whilst they look decently made, they must to use poor quality switches. Last time the P7 was repaired it came back with a "new" tailcap that doesn't even fit right. :thumbsdow So even their official "repairs" are terrible. Whilst the P3 got used a bit as my desk torch for peering into computer cases, the P7 literally got repaired every time I used it. It's basically mint except for the incorrectly fitting tailcap, oh and the slight internal corrosion from the leaking batteries.

i`d throw them away.

Thanks. I thought that would be the case, unless there known fix for them they're gonna be binned.

I've already replaced the P3 with UltraFire WY-3... what a bargain!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lenser makes me want to retch.
They sat on their cool zooming light head patent and made expensive, mediocre lights, now the best option to get a zoomie is buying a super cheap knockoff and modifying it.
They could have licenced that patent to other manufacturers, and then quality, focusing lights would have been standard fare for a long time already.
I think that first overpriced 3AAA Lenser that I got before I knew anything might be the only light that I've actually discarded in disgust, the others I've let go were sold or gifted.

Last edited:

macropin

Newly Enlightened
Lenser makes me want to retch.
They sat on their cool zooming light head patent and made expensive, mediocre lights, now the best option to get a zoomie is buying a super cheap knockoff and modifying it.

Geez I wish I'd known that earlier.

So many situations these days where companies misuse their patents, or effectively stifle the very innovation that the patent was meant to encourage.

The worst are patents for obvious or trivial inventions. A zooming light design seems pretty trivial to me...