Nitecore Concept 1 Review (Best EDC ever?)

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore Concept 1 Review

Hey folks today we will be be reviewing the Nitecore concept 1. The Concept 1 is a super small EDC friendly 18650 flashlight. Lots of review have already been done so I will make this review short and sweet I hope! I have beam shots from the park because its a tad bright for my yard. I have EDC the Concept 1 for about a month now its been awesome so much power in my hand.
The light was sent to by Gearbest for review i will leave the link here and i will try and get a coupon code.
Concept 1 (link is external)
Okay so where to start? Quality is what you would expect from a major brand like Nitecore. My Concept 1 is flawless I mean flawless even after owning it for about a month its still perfect! Not a single mark or scratch on it as of yet. I know I will drop it now and ruin it lol. I think Nitecore does a good job on finishing there flashlights. I have never had issues with there lights in the past.
My Nitecore HC30 is heavily used and still looks really good almost new besides where the clip sits. My HC30 will have a few hundred hours on it as its used as my fishing headlamp probably 300+ hours of use. I may be a biased because I am a fan of Nitecore. I do EDC the Nitecore TIP and my most used light is by far the HC30 so much so I need a new headband.

Build quality on the concept 1 is really good. No defects and the threads are cut perfect and the anodizing is super clean. Why mention this? When buying a cheaper light I don't expect this quality. Usually a cheaper flashlight will not come so flawless. There are exception of course.
The Concept 1 is using hard anodizing type III and is made out of Aircraft grade aluminum alloy so nothing special here. The finish is dark black and is really strong on Nitecore lights. Even when compared to another major brand like Klarus the Nitecore seems better wearing.

The Concept 1 is using AR coated glass and an SMO reflector with a XHP35 HD E2 LED. So many caps lock lol. This system Nitecore calls PDOT (precision digital optics technology) they use it on most of there lights. The lens is called crystal coating technology that is some fancy lingo for a fairly standard setup. At best the lens could have a better specification AR coating which will help with scratch resistance and light penetration.
This set up gives a fairly floody beam profile with a little bit of throw. You get a candela number of 12100cd and a total throw distance of 220m.
Throw numbers

• 12100cd

• 220m
End tree is 110m

The beam profile on the Concept 1 is different for a small light its got a similiar beam profile to a thrower. The hot spot is very visible but it is wide enough for EDC use so its very usable. The overall beam is much wider then a proper thrower seeing as the lens is fairly shallow. The Concept 1 does use the XHP35 which is 4 small die LEDs put together you do get a little donut hole in the middle of the beam. This is not noticeable outside you will see in my pics. I will leave a pic here so you can see the donut hole mmmmmmm donuts!. If Nitecore would have used optics or a XHP35HI to help with this issue. If it is an actual issue? i will add a pic soon.

The Concept 1 is extremely well sized coming in on the smaller side of a standard 18650 flashlight. The concept 1 is even smaller then a S2+ which is a fairly small light. The only way you will get a smaller 18650 flashlight is by using a headlamp and they often will not have the features included with the concept 1. Plus they are aimed at a different market then the Concept 1. I did EDC my HC30 for a while it was great so it can be done. The weight is truly amazing the Concept 1 comes in at a tiny 61.9 grams which is truly light weight. The weight of the Concept 1 is pushing into headlamp territory which is amazing. I own 14500 and 16340 flashlight that weight more then the Concept 1. By far the lightest and smallest dedicated 18650 flashlight I own. Also keep in mind this weight included the clip and magnet. While other lights will be completely bare.
Size specs

• Length: 111.5mm (4.39 inches)

• Head size: 24.5mm (0.96 inches)

• Tail diameter: 23.8mm (0.84 inches)

• Weight: 61.9 grams (2.18oz)
Finishing up with body the Concept 1 includes a staleness steel clip which in theory is none removable and sits reverse to normal clips to the Concept 1 faces upwards. It can be taken off but you will be stuck with holes in the concept 1 because it is screwed to the body. I am glad they went with a reverse clip it makes the Concept 1 more EDC friendly I can stick it on my hat and use it as a headlamp.
Gold plated springs and removable magnet
!!​
Hows it hanging?
!!​
The Concept 1 also includes a tail magnet which is strong enough to hold the concept 1 upside down and side ways without budging. The Concept 1 uses a single side switch which is made out of some sort of alloy its not magnetic. The clip is magnetic if you are wondering.
I will leave some pics here so we can compare size! (if you know what I mean).
!!​
The concept 1 is IPX8 rated to 2 meters (waterproof and submersible) and has a drop resistance rating of 1.5 meters which is plenty for a EDC flashlight. This is actually higher drop resistant rating then I was expecting seeing as it uses a boost driver its probably potted in.
Output and performance of the Nitecore Concept is next level. Like I mean really good my review is later then most peoples so I have read a few reviews already. Every one who tested the Concept 1 got over the 1800 lumen specified by Nitecore. I seen it tested up to 2000 lumens with a Samsung 30Q. Which is not surprising Nitecore does often under rate there lights I have found. My numbers are higher then every ones else but no one tested the light the with a proper IMR cell like super high drain. My Concept 1 tested with a Samsung 25r gave me a max output of around 2200 lumen on start up which is truly amazing.
!!​
The Concept 1 does drop from the start up output but it does settle and doesn't drop crazy fast unless it overheats. I had the Concept 1 settle at over 2000 lumens. I found the best way to test output is by holding the side switch this temporary disables the thermal throttling.
Thank you Nitecore for recognizing that we can be trusted to use a flashlight. Push and hold the side switch and after about 30-45 seconds it feels like you stuck your hand into an oven. You get a Nitecore symbol branded onto your hand lol. This is probably the main reason why Nitecore lets us regulate the turbo. We will catch on fire before the light over heats lol. It does throttle after some time when holding the side switch but it gives you at least 45 seconds on a cold light. So if you wear gloves there is still come protection.
Hands down Nitecore has some of the best driver in the flashlight business. Nitecore drivers are on point in every aspect like output and performance and features and modes. This is one area they can not be faulted. Nitecore has not yet paid me for this advertising if you would like to I wouldn't say no :p.
The driver featured in the Concept 1 is no different. It has every thing you want in a regulated driver. Lets do some thing different lets list them all.
Driver features

• Constant current driver (Boost driver)

• Reverse polarity protection

• ATR (Advanced tempurature regulation)

• Integrated power circuit (Battery voltage readout to the nearest 0.1 volts)

• Runs on a single 18650 or two CR123 or two 16340
!!​
So from the list you can see how advanced the driver is. It is fully regulated as it would have to be seeing as its a boost driver. A regulated driver is more efficient then a direct drive but not as efficient as a buck driver. After using the light to take video and pics say for about 40min on and off the battery was still at 3.80 volts not bad for the Samsung 25r.
Nitecore does say to use an IMR battery of at least 8amp current draw in the manual. So its pulling some high amperage as to be expected it has to boost the voltage to 12v from 4v. Seeing as the XHP35 is a 12v LED it doesn't take much current to run only around 1.5amps.
Driver option like battery check is great. When you undo the tail cap and put it back on it will autocratically read out battery voltage. If the battery is 4.2v it will blink 4 times then rest for a few seconds then blink 2 more times. Its a very simple feature and is extremely accurate.
!!​
ATR is a great system this is a Nitecore trade mark system but similar systems are used by other companies. Basically the driver will have a set temperature it can run at and will step down the light to keep to that temp. I was going to add a chart here of the step down and temps but I can not find my K-probe I will add a chart or some extra info when I find the probe.
So its more of an active cooling then a normal timmed step down when you select the turbo mode from the mode select it does ramp down and it is visible. It wont step down if doesn't have to maybe stick it in some dry ice?. Id love to test it in snow. Holding turbo does some what limit the effect of ATR which is awesome but then you have the effect of 3rd degree burns lol.
As said above the Concept 1 runs on a Cree XHP35 HD so it uses a domed LED. Most lights you that use the XHP35 are dome less but the domed LED does produce more lumens when used up to the rated amperage. The binning of the LED is an E2 from what I can tell the E bins are top of the line and depending on CRI and tint the E2 is either the top bin or second bin LED. It kind of looks like Cree might have added the E4 binning in after the E2 was already out because its not on all tint variants. The Concept is using a white tint some where around the 5500k mark if I had to guess. It looks almost NW. It does suffer from tint shift like all the XHP series but what can we do?
!!​
Output and modes 18650

• Turbo mode: 1800 lumen at 30mins (2200 rated by me)

• High mode: 810 lumens at 1h 30 mins

• Medium mode: 300 lumens at 4 hours

• Low mode: 80 lumens at 15 hours

• Ultra low mode: 1 lumen at 300 hour
Output and modes CR123

• Turbo mode: No turbo mode with CR123s

• High mode: 810 lumens at 1h 15 mins

• Medium mode: 300 lumens at 3h 30mins

• Low mode: 80 lumens at 13 hours

• Ultra low mode: 1 lumen at 200 hour
!!​
Funnily enough Nitecore tested this light with a Nitecore 3100mah IMR cell maybe a re-brand 30Q? Could also be LG cell so obviously Nitecore recommend there cells first but any high drain cell and IMR will be access turbo mode.
Battery types I will leave some examples of cells to be used I am sure you already know what cells to use.

• High drain IMR 18650 (25r,VTC5/6,30Q)

• High drain standard 18650 (NCR18650GA)

• Standard 18650 (turbo mode is inaccessible)

• Lithium primary CR123

• Rechargeable RCR123/16340
!!​
*Modes and UI *are easy enough you get ample options you can choose from 2 mode selects. They both give you the same modes just in different ways. The Nitecore Concept 1 has a memory mode it will remember your last used mode.
General Mode: offers direct access to the Turbo brightness from Standby

• Tactical Mode*: offers direct access to the Strobe from Standby
To change the mode select do the following its not the hardest switch I have ever done. Loosen the tail cap for half a turn. Tighten the tail cap while pressing and holding down the side switch simultaneously. The light will blink to indicate which mode has been selected. A single blink indicates General Mode, and two blinks indicate
!!​
In tactical mode you can access turbo from any mode by pushing and holding the side switch. General mode offers direct access to the Turbo brightness from Standby (fast click 3 times). Tactical mode offers direct access to the Strobe from Standby (fast click 3 times). Either option still gives you push to hold turbo from mode when the Concept 1 is already on. Special modes are easy to access with 3 fast click from any on position or 3 fast clicks when of in tactical mode.
Instant Moonlight access! It doesn't say in my manual unless I missed it but double click from off will always access ultra low mode. In either group mode so you moonlight lovers will love this feature.
Changing modes is okay once you have a selected a mode by pushing and holding from of. You will have to turn the light of then on again to change modes its a pain yes but is becoming more common with lights. I can see why it does that because you can always instant access turbo by pushing and holding and the Concept 1 is a single switch light. But seeing as the concept 1 has two mode groups Nitecore could of made one standard with allowing to change modes any time. Not a big issue just means you need to turn the light of to cycle modes.
Overall the Concept 1 is a great flashlight whether it be for EDC or any old purpose flashlight the Concept 1 will fit in well. It packs a punch and comes in a super small package. I would like to see a lockout put on the side switch but besides that to me the Concept 1 is flawless it does all it says it does plus much more.
All these pics where taken with ISO400
Ultralow mode 1 lumen
!!​
Low mode 80 lumens
!!​
Medium mode 300 lumens

High mode 810 lumens

Might as well add a turbo mode for my yard and you can now see the rain

Turbo Concept 1 end trees 110m

Trees here are 25m away

65m to end tree

Concept 1 left and Stock S2+ right
!!​
Concept 1 left and BLF A6 right

Concept 1 left and Klarus G20 right

Concept 1 left and Haiklite SC02 right

Thanks for taking the time to read the review i will update some aspects of the review soon.

Thanks!

Regards Chris

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Concept 1 is a nice light except for the switch that is far too easy to turn on in your pocket.
This review should probably be moved to the commercial corner Gearbest section.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review.

I have a Concept 1 and like it. The best ever EDC though? ... no.

Biggest problem with the Concept 1 is the switch. Far too easy to accidentally press, making tailcap lockout required. Unfortunately, using tailcap lockout makes the light a lot less convenient.

In my opinion, Zebralights and Emisar are both much better than the Concept 1.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Finishing up with body the Concept 1 includes a staleness steel clip which in theory is none removable and sits reverse to normal clips to the Concept 1 faces upwards. It can be taken off but you will be stuck with holes in the concept 1 because it is screwed to the body. I am glad they went with a reverse clip it makes the Concept 1 more EDC friendly I can stick it on my hat and use it as a headlamp...

Well, it is funny that you should mention that. I currently use a Fenix RC09 as a cap light. I have always thought that ANY 18650 light would be way too big to clip on a cap. After reading this, maybe I should reconsider!

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Yea lads i 110% agree! The button is painfully hot lol let me show you! It burnt my sheath when i was driving. Most of you are smarter then me and will lock the tail cap out. I try and EDC all my lights when i get them so it was going through the cycle of EDC use. It would be good to recess the switch. I EDC my lights in a pack and i have been lucky with my Nitecore TIP its never locked out and doesn't turn on. At least seeing as the threads are anodized its a very easy 1/4 twist to get it locked out.

(if the thread has to be moved let me know i always post here)

narmattaru

Enlightened
the guy i know order this one, was very exited about this (1st brand flashlight, not cheap ultrafire stuff)

his positive disappeared when Concept suddennly tuurned on and made a hole in holster, like blaster from Star Wars. that happend two times!

i think this product had to be postponed for better R&D work. I was offered to get it for review, but i refused.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need to twist the tailcap in one end, AND push a button in the other to use the light, then a regular twisty is far simpler to use...

hazard2036

Newly Enlightened
Lol to funny! Yea a recessed switch would be good. Check out the HC33 its the headlamp version of this light it looks like most issues are fixed expect for the heat issue.