Malkoff MDX22.3-M61HOT info needed

WebHobbit

Enlightened
Looking at the Malkoff MDX22.3-M61HOT Throw Head...the 500 lumen version. The store page doesn't seem to list the run-times. Anyone tested this with an 18650 3400mah? Can someone give me their impression of this head as an all around flashlight? I know this is mainly a thrower but is there enough spill to be a general replacement/upgrade for an M61 MD2?

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this turns into a vibrant discussion, because I'm eyeing the same purchase. My inner tint snob has kept me away from it until now, but I think I'm getting over that. I have other neutral/high cri lights, anyway.

Here's my question: I prefer to use unprotected cells. If I were using, say, an AW 3000 mAh 18650, would the output drop noticeably enough to warn me when it's time to switch the light off? Or would I need to conduct runtime/voltage tests in advance so I would know how much run time to expect?

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
3raYw1Y.jpg

1hr 25mins full output on lg mj1 3500mah 18650. Use cr123s in burst, they overheated during runtime test and i didnt finish it because of it

Beam shot time! Taken with cell phone right before dawn aprox. 40 meters

Surefire eb1 200lm 12kcd
6WqcQVt.jpg

E2 5kcd
A4C3es9.jpg

E2T 8kcd
PzgCB6Z.jpg

E2ST 15kcd
vggW8P1.jpg

M61 5kcd
TkHx0ux.jpg

M61T 10kcd
cVCwrDF.jpg

M61HOT 15kcd
0jwMSMv.jpg

HD XML 31kcd
idO1FPf.jpg

Reuploaded 9aug2017,suck it photobucket:twothumbs

Beam shots on malkoff junkie thread

I have several different malkoffs and when i edc one it's usually m61hot. 15kcd is a nice amount of throw and the low mode is great for walking at night. The m61 is definitely more floodier than the m61hot. I wouldnt say one is better than the other or one is an upgrade to another. the beam pattern isn't the best but using it outside isn't as noticeable

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I don't have a nice camera, the only way i could get the beam pattern to show is from 2ft on low but you can get the idea. Has a square corona with circular hot spot

eyRbjhy.jpg

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you unscrew the high/low ring, what do you find? A sealed drop in like the M60, or is it more like tearing down a hound dog?

Jose Marin

Enlightened
It's a proprietary drop in that doesnt fit other p60 hosts, atleast not 6p that i know of. The m61T, m61hot, m91t and the wildcat v6 have the same style dropin

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this turns into a vibrant discussion, because I'm eyeing the same purchase. My inner tint snob has kept me away from it until now, but I think I'm getting over that. I have other neutral/high cri lights, anyway.

Here's my question: I prefer to use unprotected cells. If I were using, say, an AW 3000 mAh 18650, would the output drop noticeably enough to warn me when it's time to switch the light off? Or would I need to conduct runtime/voltage tests in advance so I would know how much run time to expect?

The tint issue held me back from buying the M61T but I eventually gave in. The cool white tint isn't bad but I put in some Lee filter material and brought the color temp to a more pleasing neutral. I carry my MD2/M61T the most of any of my Malkoffs and have thought about the more powerful M61HOT and M91T as future purchases since I am so happy with the M61T.I probably sound like a broken record lately posting about the use of photography lighting filters but it is simple and works well on some lights without modding the LED or drop-in.
The M61T reminds me of the original M60 but of course the M61T is more powerful. No M61HOT yet but it should only be better than the M61T.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cool white tint isn't bad but I put in some Lee filter material and brought the color temp to a more pleasing neutral.

That's an insightful trick. Does the filter material not disburse the tight, throwy beam pattern? I was just thinking it might be better to start with a floody light in the prefered CCT. I'd be interested to see an indoor beam shot, if you were willing, sir.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an insightful trick. Does the filter material not disburse the tight, throwy beam pattern? I was just thinking it might be better to start with a floody light in the prefered CCT. I'd be interested to see an indoor beam shot, if you were willing, sir.

Sorry not really set up to post pictures currently. I don't notice any beam distortion,the filters are pretty thin. I am sure there is a little loss in lumens but the filter I am using doesn't rob too much there. Neutral LEDs are preferable in most cases but when I inquired about them in the T models Gene stated that the beams were too bad with the neutral LEDs, so in the case of the throw drop-ins the filter may be the best option. I can't remember the number for the filter I used off the top of my head but it was one of the lighter ones from Lee's daylight to tungsten set. I will try to find the filter number later when I get the chance.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the filter sheet was number 206. For a trial solution LEE has sample swatch books that provide their complete line-up of color filters that were not all that expensive when I purchase them a few years ago.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the filter sheet was number 206. For a trial solution LEE has sample swatch books that provide their complete line-up of color filters that were not all that expensive when I purchase them a few years ago.

Does the filter also affect the CRI or just the CCT?

archimedes

Flashaholic
How many versions have there been of the M61HOT ... ?

More than one ? What are the differences ?

(I realize this is different than the various M61T runs)

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many versions have there been of the M61HOT ... ?

More than one ? What are the differences ?

(I realize this is different than the various M61T runs)

Just one run...XP-L HI. If I recall correctly, the HOT was released after the switch from XPE2 to XPL HI on the M61T.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the filter also affect the CRI or just the CCT?

I think it does affect CRI but I am not sure of the extent without a second unfiltered module for comparison. Using another brand of light where I have one filtered and one that is not (both cool white LEDs) the CRI indoors is pretty similar but there is a little difference especially noticeable with yellow and off white. I don't think you will make any big gain/loss in CRI with filters but I have no scientific method of testing. It is usually outdoors where I notice a difference and not so much CRI as better rendering of details and less reflective glare. So much rests in the eye of the beholder here,YMMV. Suffice to say if I get the M61HOT or another T module I will be adding the filter.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to the M61HOT, but I'm impressed with the beam tint, despite a long history of neutral tint snobbery. It's a creamy white, without the dreadful greens or angry blues. I have other neutral/high CRI lights, when I need them.

Pleasantly surprised, but I think I will use the light without any filters.

Latest posts