Seeking AA light 250lm >6 hrs but </=2 mode

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking for an easy light to source batteries for, so I'm choosing AA, but I want about 200-300 lms at greater than 6 hours out of it, and only has 2 modes or less (definitely no strobe).. The only thing I could think of is something like this Streamlight, that does three AAs for 270lm at 11 hours:

http://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/twin-task-3aa

Any other ideas? The primary use is for my wife or kid, or neighbor during a power outage situation. I can't have them trying to work through modes, or trying to find 18650s. Obviously, something like this probably won't tailstand, so that's ok. Some weather resistance would be nice though. Under $50 would be great.

Thanks!
Paul

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
For power outage, would headlamps be an option? If so, then there's a greater range of AA-lights in that lumen range. In addition to intended usage, then can also be ceiling bounced, or strapped to water bottles.

I came to a different conclusion for my own family btw. With AAs, alkalines are out (for us), and LSD NiMH isn't much more available than 18650s, thanks to vaping. During disasters, several have reported that AAs Are also among the first to disappear from shelves. Then there's also the issues of mixing different batteries in a multi battery light, and so on. We've ended up standardizing in 18650 for the whole family, CR123 as primary backups for some of the lights, for disaster/outage use. We do also have single AA-lights, for options and reading in bed. Single-battery lights are significantly easier to operate in some situations.

On that note, would you need/want 270 lumens for dark-adjusted personal lights? If not, single-battery Zebralights might be worth looking at, regardless of 18660/AA.

(Not intending any of this to put down what you asked for, just sharing our own thoughts on the issue)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not even sure 3-4 regular alkaline AA batteries would sustain 250 lumens for 6 or more hours.

If the streamlight quotes 270 lumens for 11 hours out of only 3 AAs, then it's most likely not regulated, so the light will dim over time, artificially inflating its runtime.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
For power outage, would headlamps be an option? If so, then there's a greater range of AA-lights in that lumen range. In addition to intended usage, then can also be ceiling bounced, or strapped to water bottles.

I came to a different conclusion for my own family btw. With AAs, alkalines are out (for us), and LSD NiMH isn't much more available than 18650s, thanks to vaping. During disasters, several have reported that AAs Are also among the first to disappear from shelves. Then there's also the issues of mixing different batteries in a multi battery light, and so on. We've ended up standardizing in 18650 for the whole family, CR123 as primary backups for some of the lights, for disaster/outage use. We do also have single AA-lights, for options and reading in bed. Single-battery lights are significantly easier to operate in some situations.

On that note, would you need/want 270 lumens for dark-adjusted personal lights? If not, single-battery Zebralights might be worth looking at, regardless of 18660/AA.

(Not intending any of this to put down what you asked for, just sharing our own thoughts on the issue)

Thanks for the recommendation! I suppose a headlamp could work, awkward, but could indeed work. I will check a few out, probably from Zebra and Nitecore. BTW, your post was entirely helpful, no perceived insult at all., so no worries! :)

I'm not even sure 3-4 regular alkaline AA batteries would sustain 250 lumens for 6 or more hours.

If the streamlight quotes 270 lumens for 11 hours out of only 3 AAs, then it's most likely not regulated, so the light will dim over time, artificially inflating its runtime.

Quite possible! I suppose for the price, it couldn't hurt to just pick one up and see how long it runs on three Eneloops. Thanks!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a quick calculation and figure 4 x AA batteries should be able to last about six hours at roughly 250 lumens like you're seeking. That's really ample light for a power outage situation in my opinion. I usually leave a ~10 lumen light tailstanding in the main room for basic vision for walking around and have a headlamp or flashlight running 10-50 lumens for up close task lighting or reading.

But if you want a nice high level of light for extra comfort, there are AA lights in this range like the Thrunite TN4A and Nitecore EA41m but they have more modes. I think strobe mode is hidden with extra button pushes on both, so they shouldn't accidentally activate.

Although I'd normally lean towards a flashlight for this kind of use for versatility, if simplicity is your priority, there are electric lanterns that are often quite basic. 3x or 4x D cell lanterns like the Rayovac Sportsman are easy to find in stores, usually have only 2-3 modes, and should run well beyond what you're looking for. The main downside is probably that they're usually a cool white light that can seem a bit harsh. The Streamlight Siege and UST Duro lanters are probably a bit nicer and available in either D-powered or AA-powered versions.

Xyrium

Newly Enlightened
Yep, that would be great. Do that at 4500-4800k, and I'd be pretty happy. The two modes would be nice, one just for close proximity work, perhaps refilling the generator, checking the breaker panel...and mode two for any distance stuff such as looking around outside to help others.

Oddly enough, Petzl is doing some misleading marketing with their latest 3xAAA headlamp. 60 hours at 300 lumens? Yeah, sure...

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/ACTIK

Edit: Noticed the Nitecore EA45 does 210lm at 7 hrs. Is there an easy way to disable the other, higher modes?

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/E/EA45S/

Anyone doing custom lights this cheap, that could handicap a high output light to only two modes, one below 300lm the other below 100lm?

Last edited:

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that's reasonably possible. I would say 100 lm/W is a good estimate for reasonably possible maximum when you consider board and optical losses. So you need 15Wh of usable power to have 250 lm for 6 hrs. The only way to get that much is with four lithium disposable AAs

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
I would ditch the multiple-cell approach, as laypeople have a talent of mixing cells with different states of charge. Having several cells as reserve is better than having them all in the light when it comes to achieving long run times.

I have two of these a beater lights:
http://www.dx.com/p/fandyfire-g10-c...led-flashlight-w-strap-1-x-14500-1-x-aa-91700

They are great, and even better with this driver:
http://kaidomain.com/p/S025419.CF-FX-2AA-16mm-0_9V-3V-3-Mode-Boost-Driver-Circuit-Board

Some images:
https://imgur.com/a/A0QVv

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Rayovac 2x AA Indestructible, and a spare set of AA batteries?
For less than the price of a fancier light you could get two of them and a 20 pack of AA and call it good.

... My, uh, favorite review of the light, from the Rayovac website:

"A TIGER TO REMOVE FROM PACKAGE
I wanted a high performance flashlight finally for our apt. & bought this 300 lumens flashlight at Home Depot today. I suggest Rayovac staff try to open the package and remove the flashlight. Unbelievable!! After inserting the batteries, my wife and I could not figure where the switch was until I went on to the internet. I am not a dummy. I have an MD degree and have been a professional furniture builder. I still cant figure where the switch is for low and high beam. Try including a few instructions in your next model."

I guess it's true what they say, that C=MD. ;-)

Hey, Julian!
Thanks for the link to that great, cheap driver!
That has got to be the stamped SKS of 1x, 2x alkaline battery led drivers!

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
How about a Rayovac 2x AA Indestructible, and a spare set of AA batteries?
For less than the price of a fancier light you could get two of them and a 20 pack of AA and call it good.

... My, uh, favorite review of the light, from the Rayovac website:

"A TIGER TO REMOVE FROM PACKAGE
I wanted a high performance flashlight finally for our apt. & bought this 300 lumens flashlight at Home Depot today. I suggest Rayovac staff try to open the package and remove the flashlight. Unbelievable!! After inserting the batteries, my wife and I could not figure where the switch was until I went on to the internet. I am not a dummy. I have an MD degree and have been a professional furniture builder. I still cant figure where the switch is for low and high beam. Try including a few instructions in your next model."

I guess it's true what they say, that C=MD. ;-)
That is what I was first thinking and what is good about the Rayovac light is the price has been REDUCED from $15 to $10 now so you can buy $5 MORE in batteries than before and with L91s dropping in price about $3/4 now 2 lights plus 4 extra batteries for under $30.

Last edited:

sbslider

Enlightened
At the other end of the spectrum from the Rayvac light (likely a good choice from you) is the Thrunite TN4A. Definitely does not check all your boxes, as it has multiple modes and a strobe. But it does have 12-14 hours on alkailne AAs in its medium mode. Very easy to use and avoid the turbo and blinking mode. $50, so at the top of your price range. I know there are other soda can AA type lights out there that may be simpler and cheaper. If it is for a emergency situation, as others have suggested use primary lithium cells.