Comparsions PR-T Lux III DB 917 to Arc 4+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even in the forced brightest mode it is obvious that my PR-T head sporting a t ranked lux III with DB 917 is probably about 40% brighter (to my eyes) than the ARC 4+. Why is that? I had assumed that the Arc 4+ would be a bit dimmer but not 40% dimmer. Does anyone have any comparisons such as this that they have made? Did you get similar results?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bushman,

A Lux III is rated for 80 lumens (typical) and the Arc is 30-35 lumens so 40% is actually pretty good, suggesting that the Arc you have is extra ordinarily bright or the Lux III is unusually dim. Actually I think the 80 lumens is overly optimistic since I perceive a similar 40% difference between my Arc4+ and TWOK at 1A in a KL3. My take on this comparison is that the Arc comes out *very* favorably since the Lux III should be almost 250% brighter.

CM

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is assuming that the Arc uses a 1 w emitter? I didn't know that! I bought this arc 4+ (second) on a whim and I have not followed ANY of the gobs of info on the Arc 4+. Do you happen to remember the title of the thread that has all of the build aspects of the Arc 4?

CM thanks for the info. I thought that I had really gotten a bum Arc 4 and it now appears that the one I have may actully be a "diamond in the rough" so to speak!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc4 does use a 1W emitter. I'm not sure what thread you're referring to (like you said, there's gobs and even I lose track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) but the Arc4 uses a 1W emitter with bin of the LED being secondary since Arc requires a minimum level of output for the Arc4+ to make the grade. I really think the Arc is too conservatively rated and Lumileds are overly optimistic. I have seen many Arc4+ (firsts and seconds) and I'd be damned if I can tell the difference in output between any of them without a light meter. So though you may have a diamond in the rough, so do many others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif which is a good thing.

On another note, the type of LED used in the Arc4+ is somewhat irrelevant due to Arc's light output requirement. If an N flux 1W can put out the light and not draw gobs of current, it will sell as a first. Hypothetically, if they happen to have some T flux Luxeon III's that can't put out the light, it sells as a second. Basically, Arc is playing the Luxeon lottery for us so we win. That's why I think all the calls for Arc to use Lux III's is pointless. Who cares if it's a 1W or a Lux III UWOJ? Their testing is the great equalizer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think they should use whatever good LED they can get a hold of at a price point that's beneficial for them, be they 1W or 3W lux. At the end of the day, we get a light in a little package that puts out lots of lumens.

CM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts