My First Problem in a Long History of Streamlight

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I am a loooong time Streamlight user. I have a drawer full of Protacs, a Strion for duty, and a TLR on my sidearm. I absolutely love Streamlight, and I've never been let down.

A few weeks ago, my Protac 2L, which I use for a backup light on duty, started to dim and flicker. It was on the original batteries, so figured they were running out of juice and I replaced them. The light worked fine when I tested it.

Fast forward a few weeks without ANY use...I went to put the light in my pocket for a night out because it was raining and abnormally dark, and I wanted a brighter light than the Protac 2AAA that I normally EDC. I tested the light, and it wouldn't turn on! At first I thought it might be the batteries again, which is odd since I didn't use the light at all. I inspected the light inside and out, and everything looked fine.

This morning I took the batteries out and put them in a different light...they worked just fine! This is the very first issue I have ever had with Streamlight! While I am disappointed that it just quit working, I can't be too upset seeing as this is the first issue out of many many lights.

I plan on bringing it to my local Streamlight dealer/authorized repair center to see what they say.

Thanks for reading!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight has become a big, rich light making company. Yet rumor has it their customer service is still pretty good and a human still answers the phone.

The only contact I ever had with them was in regards to a light they made 3 logos ago. I sent an email on a Saturday and had an answer Monday.
Head of sales guy didn't know they had ever made an incan Keymate. I was looking for a part for it.

Other than that I've never had a need to contact them.

Try cleaning the threads. It sounds stupid simple but may be all that is wrong with it. Some of the ProTac I've used over time have contact issues if the tailcap is barely loose. I mean like 1° loose. Try removing the o-ring on the tailcap and see if twisting it slightly tighter causes it to work. If so contact Streamlight and tell them. They'll make it right.

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
Streamlight has become a big, rich light making company. Yet rumor has it their customer service is still pretty good and a human still answers the phone.

The only contact I ever had with them was in regards to a light they made 3 logos ago. I sent an email on a Saturday and had an answer Monday.
Head of sales guy didn't know they had ever made an incan Keymate. I was looking for a part for it.

Other than that I've never had a need to contact them.

Try cleaning the threads. It sounds stupid simple but may be all that is wrong with it. Some of the ProTac I've used over time have contact issues if the tailcap is barely loose. I mean like 1° loose. Try removing the o-ring on the tailcap and see if twisting it slightly tighter causes it to work. If so contact Streamlight and tell them. They'll make it right.

I'll try those troubleshooting tips. Otherwise, I too have heard good things from Streamlight, but instead of calling them and then paying for shipping to them, I figured I'd stop in my local police supply store and have them take care of it, seeing as they are a repair center. They can repair the rechargeable, but send the non rechargeable to Streamlight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ That is fantastic. Cop supply stores RULE!

Be sure to buy a hat or something from them. Last time I went in one I bought a pair of tactical gloves. Style points at my job around construction sites.

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
^^ That is fantastic. Cop supply stores RULE!

Be sure to buy a hat or something from them. Last time I went in one I bought a pair of tactical gloves. Style points at my job around construction sites.

Yeah, I always buy at least something every time I go in there...I always pick up some batteries or a handcuff key or something, even if they don't have what I initially went in there for. Sometimes they are a bit more expensive, but I don't mind...I just want them to stick around!

I'll see what they say about the light and report back.

Thanks!

Nephron44

Enlightened
I dropped off the light. They said they only service the rechargeables in house and they would have to send out the 2L. 5 dollars for shipping, and they take care of the rest. They straight up said I'll probably just get a new light. We'll see what happens!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight will most likely just replace it with a new light. Streamlight has one of the best warranty service.
Next time check the tailcap to see if it has a retaining ring with 2 holes where it can be tightened. The retaining ring comes loose causing a bad connection.

I dropped off the light. They said they only service the rechargeables in house and they would have to send out the 2L. 5 dollars for shipping, and they take care of the rest. They straight up said I'll probably just get a new light. We'll see what happens!

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
So I got my light back today! They fixed it instead of replacing it, and it works great! The guy at the shop said Streamlight didn't indicate what was wrong with it, which is a bummer because I was really curious! At least it works, though! And they put a fresh pair of batteries in it at no cost!

IrishGreen

Newly Enlightened
Interesting!

Well, after using Streamlight Microstreams for some years I have had two dead switches as well. And Streamlight products seem very realiable I wondered if that switch in the tailcap may be less reliable. Seems you have had the same problem...

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you have time check to see if there is a ring with 2 holes that tighten the switch assembly.
So I got my light back today! They fixed it instead of replacing it, and it works great! The guy at the shop said Streamlight didn't indicate what was wrong with it, which is a bummer because I was really curious! At least it works, though! And they put a fresh pair of batteries in it at no cost!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be wrong as I don't own a Streamlight ProTac 2L, but if your tailcap unscrews you would look at the inside of the tailcap for a retaining ring with 2 holes. My older Streamlights had the retaining ring with 2 holes which came loose causing problems.
Where would I see the two holes? I looked, but can't find anything...maybe I just don't see it?