**When will CMG Infinity answer the Arclite?**

nonbox

Banned
The Arc lite kicks the CMG Infinity's ***. When will CMG Infinity answer the Arc lite? Or is CMG selling well and don't care that the Arc lite is a better flashlight?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I am not so sure that the CMG Infinity Task Light is such a bad light.

It is very sturdy and waterproof, as is the Arclight. Its' main difference is that it will last four times as long. Its' main shortcoming is that it is not as bright.

There is a place for long lasting but not so bright lights. Such as the (old style 1.5V) green Photon.

Walt

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've wanted to do a side-by-side time-lapse photo of Arclight and Infinity but its like pitting a 100-yard sprint runner (5 hrs) against a marathon runner (40 hrs).

What I'd like to know is how much of their rated burntime is bright beam of light or close to its initial brightness when flashlight is switched "ON".

Right now (actually since 6pm Monday) I have Pocket Bright, Photon II, and Infinity running side-by-side in a 48-hr/1-hr-interval time-lapse photo and probably will be able to post photos by midnight tonight.

- verge -

D

**DONOTDELETE**

those addictive keychain flashlights? i still don't own infinity or arc-light. finally changed the batts in emissive energy white after about 2 months minute a day use if that. judging from the beam pic's i've seen posted, the infinity's beam looks ok? put me in the "dimmer though longer lasting" camp as far as keychain lights go.

nonbox

Banned
Long run time is useless because AAs and AAAs can be bought in bulk for a real low price. There are rechargable AAs and AAAs too. Carrying around a dim led is useless. Just toting around junk. Also a waste of time and money to aquire a weak beam of light. CMG needs to come out with something to rival the arc lite.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think the Infinity gets a bad rap. No it certainly isn't the brightest. I think of mine as an economy car, it's ugly, not the fastest (brightest), but it gets great gas mileage! I have not left mine on continuously because I don't use it that way. Mine is an older yellow model, and I use it for a few (5-10) minutes every day. I haven't changed the battery in at least 5 months. It's plenty bright for what I use it for. If I want something brighter, I go for one of the numerous Photon II's. If I need something brighter than that, I go for a regular flashlight or PAL Gold.

I still can't wait to get an Arclite!
wink.gif

Paul Davidson

mikep

Enlightened
I would love to have an alternate Infinity led assembly (the whole cap) that was twice as bright for half as long. Maybe the Arclite head assembly could fit in an 'adapter bushing' so you could screw it onto an Infinity.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree- the Infinity, as it is today, is plenty bright enough for up close work. Coloured ones (green, blue-green) are brighter than the white and are great for where you don`t need colour recognition, but even the white one would be plenty (it is for me) for rooting round under the bench here trying to find what cable has come out which is causing my CCTV system to go funny...ah there it is
smile.gif
now I can see who`s at the front door again.

Anyway...it might be quite big but you won`t realistically need to take a spare battery with you if you were going for a weekend backpacking/hiking/etc. A shorter running (but brighter) light, you`d need a few spares for, and even though they might be really cheap, they still take up space and weight. I`m not an outdoor type unfortunately but realise that most backpackers take extra unnecessary weight seriously- and if you only need enough light to see yor way round in your tent then all you need is an Infinity.

I`m not knocking brighter lights like the AAA Arc- if you`ve read my review you`ll know I relaly like it- but I`ll still stick up for the poor old Infinity. It has its place and that place is wherever you need a long running light for close up use where anything brighter might also dazzle too much and ruin your night vision. A brighter (but shorter battery life) replacement head would be nice though- to give you the choice depending on your intended use.

shocked.gif
grin.gif

StuU

Enlightened
The Infinity is a great light. I am and always have been an outdoor person and find that the white version is adequate for most outdoor usage ie hiking, camping, car repairs etc. My Infinity has been well tested around our very dark country place.

However, I would have to go along with the idea of having twice the light at half the battery time. 20 hours is very long period of usable light from one AA. A serious outdoor user would carry at least one extra AA as a matter of course. I'll bet that you could fit 2 leds into the Infinity head and run both at 20-25ma for 20 hours.

papasan

Enlightened
i have to, as i've mentioned elsewhere, throw my lot in with the 'dimmer-but-longer-lasting' crew...my green infinity puts out plenty of light and goes forever...

i'm an audio engineer by trade and often find myself digging around in the backs of racks full of gear or crawling around in cramped dark places, for this type of close-up work the infinty is excellent...

i also like camping and hiking and out in the woods where there aren't many artificial lights, the infinity throws out more than enough light to see where you're putting your feet...and 40 hours plus?...if i ever got lost i'ld be good for awhile at least...especially in these circumstances the infinity doesn't overpower your night vision, so you have to spend less time recouping every time you put it on...

also, AAA batteries maybe pretty easy to find these days, but AAs, i am sure, are still easier...especially over seas...

i still cary a back-up usually, but it would be a multi-cell AA or D battery that would either put out alot of light or last alot longer than 5 hours...

last, but definatly not least, is the price tag...you can get the infinities for 10 bucks if you look around (the old ones) where as the arcs are $25 or something...

nonbox

Banned
Chris M., I can't believe you said that carrying an extra battery is adding to much weight. Weak argument. The weight of a AA or AAA battery is nothing and they don't take up hardly any space. Please think of a better argument.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK fair point- an AA really isn`t too much weight or size, and most people would not find it the slightest bit of an inconvenience either (and probably would carry one even if they had an Infinity- in case they left it on and didn`t realise for example). But- I was basing that assumption before on a TV show I saw a while ago featuring some backpackers who even cut the handles off their toothbrushes to cut down on weight and space! Come to think of it that is maybe a bit extreme though.
shocked.gif

The point I was trying to make is that if you only really need a small amount of light to see your way around or find stuff in your tent or bag, why carry a bright light that also by its very nature, has a shorter run time- and then need to take a spare battery along too?
I guess I just like the Infinity lights and want to stick up for them- come on, you can`t really fault a 41+ hour constant runtime on one battery- but we all have our different likes and dislikes. For indoor purposes like finding your way to the "can" and back in the middle of the night, it`s fine and I expect it`s OK outdoors too.

A little bit of light is better than no light after all.

rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

nonbox

Banned
I really love the design of the CMG aluminum body but want more light output. I have a photon II and I always wish that it would put out more light.

The answer will be the Arc 4 with 4 leds in an aluminum body the size of the CMG Infinity.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer will be the Arc 4 with 4 leds in an aluminum body the size of the CMG Infinity.

I must admit that despite my fondness of the original Infinity, I`m as excited about the prospect of the Arc-4 as anyone else here. All that power in such a small size....but I only wonder how long it will take until we see it? The Arc AAA took long enough....mr Gransee- any ideas- or is it too far off to even guess at?

confused.gif
confused.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
There a zillion ways we can go from here and it all depends on what you want. We are very close to announcing a new product but would like more input from you (in addition to the many emails).

If you could only have one for now, which would you prefer:

1. - 4-LED, overdrive each LED, 2-3 hours on a single AA, $40-$45 SRP
2. - 1-LED, overdrive LED, 10-12 hours on single AA, extra durable, $25-$30 SRP
3. - 1-LED, hi-low switch, 10 hrs on hi/20 hours on low from a single AA, $30-$35 SRP
4. - 2-LED, underdrive each, 40-45 hours from a single AA, $30-$35 SRP
5. - 2-LED, hi-low switch, 5-6 hours on hi/40-45 hours on low, single AA, $35-$40 SRP

Availability would be 2 months on the complex models and maybe 1 month on the simpler designs.

I would like to open this question up to all the readers here. If you answer, please give two answers: which one you would buy and which one you think the general public would buy.

Please remember that any design is a compromise. We prefer to produce designs that sell well (i.e. please the most people).

Thank you.

Peter Gransee
President
Arc Flashlight, LLC

D

**DONOTDELETE**

#5 looks like the best of both worlds, low setting for max runtime and high for more light if needed. waiting to read the review on this one
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would buy the 4-led overdriven

The most versatile light that the public (including myself) would buy would be the 2-led switchable light.

Do we have to wait 2 months?????

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee, for me it would be #2. 10-12hrs is plenty and it would be bright (assuming PAL or Photon level). Also its under $30. That's why I also think it would be liked best by consumers in general. Most folks just aren't gonna shell out a lot of money for flashlights that aren't as bright as they're used to. #5 also looks promising.

Brock

Flashaholic
Gransee, I would say "5. - 2-LED, hi-low switch, 5-6 hours on hi/40-45 hours on low, single AA, $35-$40 SRP". The reason is there is nothing else in that place right now and it would be very useful. My second choice wuld be the Arc4, with 4 really bright LED's on the single AA. But again the ability to go either bright or dim would allow mw to get rid of my single battery white photon and Arc on my lanyard around my neck at work and go with a single light. It would be great in cars, well almost anywhere. Where do I send the check.
wink.gif

Brock

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that is suprising. It seems everyone had something good to say about ol' number 5.

2 LEDs, 2 levels. One AA battery. $35-$40

The other units can me offered too, but not right away. The purpose of my question is to find which unit to make first. I will wait to get more input. If the Arc-AA is selected, it will take about 2 months to fully develop. The biggest delay is in the new circuit and switch design.

A good point about the 2 led version with hi/lo is that is unique.

Thanks for your time.
smile.gif

Peter Gransee