Sky Lumen        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Default The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Welcome! Discuss... Iced here, thank you.

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Just regular Folgers here. I'm not very picky on my coffee, but do appreciate a good cup every day.

On the times when I go to a coffee shop, it takes a little bit of explaining that I just want regular coffee.

Occasionally, I'll add sugar or hazelnut, but most of the time, I like regular, black coffee.

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Good thread.

8-oclock drinker here. I used to drink Folgers until my wife got me hooked on 8-oclock Columbian that's strong enough to use as the glue to bond asphalt to a pothole. Folgers tastes like slightly flavored hot water to me now.

My boss and I use brands of coffee to label people we work for. "That lady is a Maxwell House drinker" meaning she's old school. The guy with the trendy attire we call Starbucks drinker and sometimes we'll say "now that guy... percolator coffee guy... grinds and all" to describe a really, really old school person.

I like "diner coffee" straight up. Nothing added. I use raw sugar in the stuff my wife makes. But only a little bit, like a level teaspoon or less. She likes a little coffee in her additives. lol.

If you take notice at your work you can tell a lot about most people by the coffee they drink.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-23-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    John 3:16

cowboy coffee
    Pour water in pot
    add grounds to taste
    Boil for as long as you want; longer=stronger
    Remove from heat and let it set til grounds settle
    Pour slowly into cup leaving grounds in pot

We were camping and forgot the pour over so I made the cowboy coffee.
    Wife said, this is good, why did we go out and buy that expensive coffee pot?
    Ruh Roh.
    Last edited by quinlag; 10-23-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling error

Flashaholic*

I enjoy roasting my own with Ethiopian being my favorite. Two cups at 6 am.

+1 on iced coffee during the summer.

My credentials (aside from having worked as a professional barista for a year):

Pour over brewing for me, using a shade-grown coffee. But really enjoying some of the Harney teas these days.

Drinking some Stok brand iced coffee this morning to kick start my wakeup. Looking for recommendations for brand/type/method to make good smooth iced coffee here at home.

Flashaholic*

Default The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Yes... All types all day!

I'll drink whatever is around to get me through the day but prefer a nice cup. A friend introduced me to Black Rifle Coffee and I loved the MO whole bean and grind it myself.

I will French press, percolate, drip, pour over, aero or a pull from an expresso. I'm rarely seen without a cup in my hand.
    My Lights: EDC; Surefire E2T-MV Tactician, ZLSC53, Preon
    Duty; Streamlight Stinger, Nitecore SRT, E2D-LED

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    8-oclock drinker here. I used to drink Folgers until my wife got me hooked on 8-oclock Columbian that's strong enough to use as the glue to bond asphalt to a pothole. Folgers tastes like slightly flavored hot water to me now.
    Good stuff. It's the best cheap-ish coffee IMO; a nice in-between coffee for everyday drinking. I picked up some of their French Roast for $3.99 on sale last week. Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Gevalia were all around $6-8/bag. I'll do that now and then, but it tastes a little better when I know I got a good deal

I can't do the "slightly flavored hot water" thing either. Almost like tea...waste of time.

- I'll do the Chemex now and then, but I'm too impatient these days.
    - A cheap 4-cup Mr. Coffee drip is good enough for me on the weekends.
    - Free, but garbage, coffee at work.
    - Instant is fine when I'm backpacking. Starbucks Via, Nescafe Tasters Choice, Cafe Bustelo, G7 all fine by me.
    Last edited by markr6; 10-25-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

I’ve had good results with the Clever Dripper for single cup brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    My credentials (aside from having worked as a professional barista for a year):
    Aeropress for me too. Also I roast my own beans in a 1979 popcorn maker and grind seconds before brewing. Beautiful.....

Here's my roaster and "green" coffee from all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Looking for recommendations for brand/type/method to make good smooth iced coffee here at home.
    The Aeropress pressed into a glass of ice is the final word in smooth iced coffee; all flavor and no acid.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Aeropress for me too. Also I roast my own beans in a 1979 popcorn maker and grind seconds before brewing. Beautiful.....
    Get a pack of Melita "Micro-perforated" filters and lightly pencil trace an Aeropress filter on one to cut out a new filter - the perforated filter is the secret missing piece of the Aeropress puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Here's my roaster and "green" coffee from all over the world.
    Heck yeah you display that on leather, a setup that good deserves its own furniture..

If you haven't had a good home roasted coffee you haven't tasted what coffee can truly be.

LOL I see this was made a few days ago. Was this made because I started talking about coffee on that water thread lol?

Regardless... yeah, coffee is awesome.

I roast and brew my own joe. Home roast using frying pan.
    I think I'll plant coffee too if I have wide land

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    LOL I see this was made a few days ago. Was this made because I started talking about coffee on that water thread lol?

Regardless... yeah, coffee is awesome.
    I think so

Or we could have revived this old dog: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...for-the-Caf%E9
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by RCantor View Post
    If you haven't had a good home roasted coffee you haven't tasted what coffee can truly be.
    Got somebody else to do the roasting, but I'm pleased with their selection

Whoah. Where is that? All fresh roasted? Is that a coffee shop?

Whoah. Where is that? All fresh roasted? Is that a coffee shop?
    Klatch Coffee, got two of those nearby. All fresh roasted. Get yours here, the Panama Elida is the bang-for-the-buck bag, but there's Hawaiian and Geisha there if you have the funds..

Has anyone tried Jamaican Blue Mountain?

Sumatran Mandheling.

But I'll also buy Maxwell House and Hills Brothers, and drink Folgers if that's what happens to be around.

At work it's Folgers pretty much, but that got a lot better when they installed a filter on the Bunn machine. "It's the water", as they say.

https://www.klatchroasting.com/collections/coffee/all
    Whoo! Some of those aren't cheap, but I'm sure good. Someone bought me some of this Two Brothers - White Sky Seasonal as a gift a few years back and it was really awesome and good whole bean fresh roasted. Dang... now I want some of that again

https://twobrothersonlinestore.com/collections/coffees
    Last edited by martinaee; 10-28-2017 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    Sumatran Mandheling.

But I'll also buy Maxwell House and Hills Brothers, and drink Folgers if that's what happens to be around.

At work it's Folgers pretty much, but that got a lot better when they installed a filter on the Bunn machine. "It's the water", as they say.
    They being the marketing department of Pabst Brewing CO.... the most mundane beer I've ever tasted. I recently received a 12pack as a gift.

~ Cg

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Green Mountain FTW.

But I'm really not picky, I'll drink just about anything...hot, iced, flavored, unflavored. Just not too sweet.

I actually just completed a paid coffee study. 30 unmarked K cups mailed to my house. I've definitely had my fill of caffeine this week.

Quote Originally Posted by quinlag View Post
    Has anyone tried Jamaican Blue Mountain?
    Sounds familiar. Who makes it?

Whoo! Some of those aren't cheap, but I'm sure good. Someone bought me some of this Two Brothers - White Sky Seasonal as a gift a few years back and it was really awesome and good whole bean fresh roasted. Dang... now I want some of that again

Klatch actively (and successfully) competes in Coffee Review, and there's usually one or two United States Barista Championships winners behind the counter (plus they're hosting some events this year,) serious world class stuff, you can't go wrong..
    Last edited by StarHalo; 10-28-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Blue Mountain Coffee Inc---Mavis Bank.
    I haven't tried it yet; it's expensive; just wondering if it's worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by quinlag View Post
    Blue Mountain Coffee Inc---Mavis Bank.
    I haven't tried it yet; it's expensive; just wondering if it's worth the price.
    Once coffee is roasted and sealed in a container, it'll hold its flavor for a couple weeks, then it begins to fade into a generic bitter roasted taste. That's why most store-shelf coffee tastes roughly similar, it's all beans that were roasted and ground months ago and have been waiting in the warehouse/on the shelf since, and why you pay a premium for fresh roast coffee that was roasted a day or two ago and still has its full flavor.

I don't see anything on Blue Mountain's website that says they're roasting immediately before shipment; if there were a picture of the bags that would tell you, because there would be a "roasted on" date (as opposed to a "best by" date.) It would appear that this is just store shelf grade coffee that they're charging you a hugely exorbitant price for. Store shelf coffee shouldn't be more than ~$10/lb, and (non-peaberry/Geisha) green coffee beans ~$7/lb.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast