Angryfox        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

I've been using an electric blade grinder for years. Would getting something like this be an "upgrade" in terms of having a more consistent grind every once in a while? Cheap, but still a burr grinder from what I can tell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077KBXQFL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I probably wouldn't be buying more expensive/fancy beans that often so I don't know if the difference would be worth it.

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Make sure you stick with those Melitta filters for fresh roast; a plain filter will remove most of the flavor. Melitta for fresh roast, plain for store shelf.
    What do you mean by "plain" filters? I use the Melitta #2 filters usually for doing pour-over cups. Is that the best option?

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    I've been using an electric blade grinder for years. Would getting something like this be an "upgrade" in terms of having a more consistent grind every once in a while? Cheap, but still a burr grinder from what I can tell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077KBXQFL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I probably wouldn't be buying more expensive/fancy beans that often so I don't know if the difference would be worth it.
    That would be a big upgrade in grind quality over a blade grinder, however it would be a downgrade in the amount of time needed to make a cup of coffee; be aware that you're looking at a few minutes of hand grinding for a serving of coffee.

If you're not doing fresh roast, I would skip the grinder entirely and just buy pre-ground. There's not any advantage in grinding beans that are more than a month old, and you won't have to keep cleaning oils out of a grinder. I only use my grinder for fresh roast, anything I get from the store is pre-ground.

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    What do you mean by "plain" filters? I use the Melitta #2 filters usually for doing pour-over cups. Is that the best option?
    Melitta's micro-perforations make a big difference with fresh roast, as they let through a bit of the heavy oils and reveal a lot of the fainter flavors that a plain/unperforated filter filters out. But if you're not brewing fresh roast, there aren't any faint flavors, so there's no difference between a plain and a perforated filter, just get whatever's cheapest. I use the plain filters that came with the machine for store-bought, and I have a box of Melittas for good beans.

Should also mention: One big benefit of glass mugs is the opportunity to set your mug in the sun, I've found that putting direct sunlight on your coffee for only a few minutes makes a very significant improvement in the flavor, store bought or fresh roast. I will at some point work out some way to have a large glass carafe that I can put just-brewed coffee in and then leave it outdoors, serve it to guests that way..

I never spend a lot on coffee, but I don't do cheap stuff either. But I recently got a bag of the 1850 Black Gold - Dark Roast Coffee. It's Folgers, so I figured it wouldn't be anything special. I gotta say, I was impressed! And it was from my simple drip coffee maker.
    GOOD TINT!

You know, most pre-ground store bought coffees are not so hot, but I have found some brands are stepping up their game. We got some "Peet's Coffee" a while ago and it is really good. It even has "roasted on" labels on it and was roasted not even 20 days before I purchased it. Now obviously if it sat a while that date would go up, but it's nice to go to a food store and see pre-ground coffee that is decent and that hasn't been sitting for half a year on the shelf lol. And if they are willing to put a "roasted on" date on the package that means they aren't shy about hiding it and are better at getting fresher product out there.
    Last edited by martinaee; 02-11-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Peet's Big Bang is my preferred store shelf joe, I make it 20:1 so it's not anymore bitter than a fresh roast brew, very pleasant stuff.

Blown away by how good this is; never liked the flavored coffees, but this isn't charred or harsh or artificial, it's just a good middle of the road roast with some actual piŮon in it (which tastes like hazelnut.) Best store shelf joe on par with the best of Peet's, highly recommend if you want the change from day-to-day coffee all the other flavored coffees offer but don't provide:

Pretty much any Instant Coffee. Just as long as it tastes delicious.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

A 3 minute video on the birth of fast coffee:

I thought StarHalo might enjoy this -

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I love those restoration channels on YouTube. Wish I had their skills.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

My antique store/flea market fanatic mother had quite a few of those around the house; one good use for a working one if you donít feel itís up to the task of grinding coffee is to use it instead to grind nutmeg, which doesnít require any real precision (and would impart the taste of nutmeg to anything ground in a standard grinder thereafter.)

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    My antique store/flea market fanatic mother had quite a few of those around the house; one good use for a working one if you donít feel itís up to the task of grinding coffee is to use it instead to grind nutmeg, which doesnít require any real precision (and would impart the taste of nutmeg to anything ground in a standard grinder thereafter.)
    Now that's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Now that's a great idea.
    A good idea, perhaps, but not a great one.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I recently upped my game by getting a hand grinder. The coffee is fresher and I taste a difference in flavor vs preground.

With a scale and a gooseneck kettle, Iím able to keep each cup pretty consistent in taste and strength. Now Iím switching between different beans to see which ones I enjoy the most.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456