Wuben        
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 168

Thread: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

  1. #61
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Was not aware: I'm reading a book about the Donner party, and the early chapter is discussing preparations and provisions for those traveling West across "Indian country"; it turns out that when the emigres stocked up on food for the Conestoga wagon, the coffee they bought was in fact green unroasted beans, intended to be roasted in a pan over the fire and then ground for brewing - Old West pioneers made and drank fresh roast coffee.

    Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    I usually get unground store-bought beans, so nice stuff but nothing too fancy, but I wonder if a scale and burr grinder would still make a big enough difference for me to care and pay for those things.
    Probably not, the tools and measurements will only make sense after you taste fresh roast. Each different kind of coffeemaker will still have its own character, though this is most evident with fresh roast.

    Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    Yeah, and was metric divised around water or is that just coincidence?
    It's by design; 1ml water weighs 1g and is a 1cm to a side when constrained into a cube (1cc.) Since the whole metric system is powers-of-ten, you can scale it - 1 cubic meter will hold 1,000 liters of water and weigh 1 metric ton.

    Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    It's kind of annoying to clean the French press which is why I don't use it that much anymore.
    Field strip it and toss the parts in the dishwasher.

  2. #62

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    So I tried the Aeropress with original user instructions this week. By the second day my wife was wondering what was up with her coffee (not in a good way). I went back to my typical way. Happy wife happy life.

    As you know, I roast my own coffee weekly in a Poppery popcorn maker. So the coffee is always amazing at my house.

  3. #63
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,485

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    My Aeropress arrived, and I've been experimenting with brewing wth it. So far so good with generic coffee, I need to pick up some fresh ground at my local shop when I rn out. It's neat making my own lattes, experimenting with amounts of hot coffee pressed over ice, and amounts of fat free milk. I like it so far... 👍

  4. #64
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,556

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Looking for some tips.
    Iíve been drinking instant Folgers for a while, so my standards are very low for coffee. However, since I stopped using cream and sugar, the taste is unbearable now. Iíve been tempted to try a cheap French press (Walmart) but the instructions ask for ďmediumĒ ground coffee. What is most store bought ground coffee? Medium? Fine?
    Iíd rather not buy a grinder if I donít have too and being the only coffee drinker in my house, I only need single servings at a time.
    Iíve stayed away from Keruig because of the price of k cups and the fact that I donít want an additional appliance.
    Is a French press or Aeropress a simple solution for me? Maybe a pour over? I donít think Iím too picky about coffee, I just want to keep it simple.

  5. #65
    Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Posts
    7,485

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Slumberpass- If I can run an Aeropress, and find it intuitive, simple to use, and easy to clean, you'll have no problem. Highly recommended.

  6. #66
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,556

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Slumberpass- If I can run an Aeropress, and find it intuitive, simple to use, and easy to clean, you'll have no problem. Highly recommended.
    Thanks. I was close to buying one a while back....I may just take the plunge.

  7. #67
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    So I tried the Aeropress with original user instructions this week. By the second day my wife was wondering what was up with her coffee (not in a good way). I went back to my typical way. Happy wife happy life.
    The "surprise new coffee" thing doesn't usually go well; people expect a staple to taste the same way every time, so sometimes any change from the norm is viewed as a negative. Introducing a new coffee usually goes better if you do it at some other, non-scheduled time, like an afternoon treat. What was your impression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Is a French press or Aeropress a simple solution for me? Maybe a pour over? I donít think Iím too picky about coffee, I just want to keep it simple.
    With store bought coffee, changing the coffeemaker just introduces some of the characteristics of that maker on the coffee; the Aeropress brew will have no acidity, and the French pressed will be syrupy and bold. If you're not interested in doing anything outside of quick and easy Joe, you're better off just switching up your coffee to one of the better store shelf offerings - if you like dark and bold, check out Starbucks Caffe Verona, if you prefer middle-of-the-road, try Peet's Major Dickason's Blend, both available on your local larger grocery/box store shelves.

  8. #68
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,556

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post

    With store bought coffee, changing the coffeemaker just introduces some of the characteristics of that maker on the coffee; the Aeropress brew will have no acidity, and the French pressed will be syrupy and bold. If you're not interested in doing anything outside of quick and easy Joe, you're better off just switching up your coffee to one of the better store shelf offerings - if you like dark and bold, check out Starbucks Caffe Verona, if you prefer middle-of-the-road, try Peet's Major Dickason's Blend, both available on your local larger grocery/box store shelves.
    Thanks. Iím starting from scratch as I donít own a coffee maker, just the kettle.

  9. #69
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Thanks. Iím starting from scratch as I donít own a coffee maker, just the kettle.
    The Aeropress requires you to use a thermometer, and you still have to manually heat water for either it or the French press. If you're looking to start with store shelf coffee rather than upgrade to something beyond that, there's nothing wrong with starting out with a basic $15 drip coffeemaker, it's a lot less work than the manual methods. There'll come another day down the road when you're bored of that and ready to try something new.

  10. #70
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,556

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The Aeropress requires you to use a thermometer, and you still have to manually heat water for either it or the French press. If you're looking to start with store shelf coffee rather than upgrade to something beyond that, there's nothing wrong with starting out with a basic $15 drip coffeemaker, it's a lot less work than the manual methods. There'll come another day down the road when you're bored of that and ready to try something new.
    Got it. Thanks. Maybe a carafe-less drip is the way to go then. I wasnít aware of the thermometer.

  11. #71
    Flashaholic* martinaee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,469

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    You know, it's appropriate that there finally is a coffee themed thread at the top of "The Cafe" sub-forum.

  12. #72
    Flashaholic* martinaee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,469

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    I'm going to visit family in a different state for a week this holiday. I'm thinking of getting a nice bag of fresh roasted beans sent there so there is nice coffee to make for me and the fam while I'm there. It would have to be pre-ground as they don't have any grinders, but what would be a good tasty option in the, say, 15 dollar range give or take. Don't really want to go over 20 once tax and shipping is factored in.

    Should I get some from that place Klatch Coffee that you mentioned earlier, StarHalo, if you're reading this? How freshly roasted are the beans they ship out? Anyone else suggest something else? I had some gifted to me once from Two Brothers Coffee which was really good. I could get more from there, but I don't really know how they compare to other places. I guess it wouldn't be a HUGE difference since I won't be freshly grinding the beans there anyway.

  13. #73
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    I'm going to visit family in a different state for a week this holiday. I'm thinking of getting a nice bag of fresh roasted beans sent there so there is nice coffee to make for me and the fam while I'm there. It would have to be pre-ground as they don't have any grinders, but what would be a good tasty option in the, say, 15 dollar range give or take. Don't really want to go over 20 once tax and shipping is factored in.

    Should I get some from that place Klatch Coffee that you mentioned earlier, StarHalo, if you're reading this? How freshly roasted are the beans they ship out? Anyone else suggest something else? I had some gifted to me once from Two Brothers Coffee which was really good. I could get more from there, but I don't really know how they compare to other places. I guess it wouldn't be a HUGE difference since I won't be freshly grinding the beans there anyway.
    Klatch is top shelf, I'd recommend the Panama Elida but it's $20 for the beans alone, you might be happier with the price of some of the El Salvador varieties, about a third of the way down on their coffees page. Philz is another easy win, their Tesora is only $12 for a full pound this month, it's a blend and not a single origin, so the flavor is a little more fun as it's not an authentic grower's crop.

    Fresh roast places will usually mail you only what was roasted this week, or will make you wait sometimes up to a week until the next roast. It's essentially the same as buying in the store though, fresh only.

    They'll do any grind you want, but be aware that doing it this way means the first batch of coffee you make will taste amazing, and then the next will taste notably duller after the grounds have been exposed to air, the magic will be gone thereafter. If you're just using an auto drip machine, it might be worth investing in a portable blade grinder (~$20) so you can order whole beans and get the most of the entire bag for days to come.

  14. #74
    Flashaholic* martinaee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,469

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    I guess I could take my blade grinder. It's not too big overall. Not the smallest, but I guess it would be fun to use there. I usually use a blade grinder at home for any beans I get, but people on r/coffee on Reddit freak out at that lol. Blade grinders are equivalent to murdering kittens over there. I need to get a cheap burr grinder too and freshly roasted beans more often.

  15. #75

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Hey Star Halo, regarding my experiment with using the product directions of the Aeropress instead of the method I have been using for years.

    Believe it or not it was a bit "too" smooth of a cup and a little weak flavor wise. I could probably do a little more grinds or steep a bit longer, but I am already using 2 scoops per cup. If I use much more my 1lb of coffee per week would likely be 1lb per 6 days.

    I know it's strange to complain that it was too smooth, but it just felt like it was missing something. Maybe that method lends itself better to the Melita filters you had mentioned. It was a fun diversion from the usual the couple of days I tried it though.

  16. #76
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    I guess I could take my blade grinder. It's not too big overall. Not the smallest, but I guess it would be fun to use there. I usually use a blade grinder at home for any beans I get, but people on r/coffee on Reddit freak out at that lol. Blade grinders are equivalent to murdering kittens over there.
    Blade grinders are junk, but the powered versions of them are portable, and a roughly good enough grind of fresh roast through a drip coffeemaker will still shame anything on the store shelf..

    Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Believe it or not it was a bit "too" smooth of a cup and a little weak flavor wise.

    I know it's strange to complain that it was too smooth, but it just felt like it was missing something.
    You want that bold trucker's brew that has some gravity to it, you're definitely a French press guy..

  17. #77

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Blade grinders are junk, but the powered versions of them are portable, and a roughly good enough grind of fresh roast through a drip coffeemaker will still shame anything on the store shelf..



    You want that bold trucker's brew that has some gravity to it, you're definitely a French press guy..
    Yes that French Press you suggested is definitely in my sights.
    Edit: sorry haven't figured out how to separate quotes when responding yet after almost 1000 posts. Hahahaha

  18. #78
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    So given the time constraints of the holiday season, I had to simplify my morning routine to some already-ready coffee, meaning I had to revert to using a drip coffeemaker. I do in fact own one, from ~3 years ago that was hidden in a moving box in the garage, and with a bit of cleaning and a vinegar cycle, I got it up and running. Behold the Heavy Metal Coffeemaker:


    Metal carafe, metal filter, metal face. The ~$30 model JWX9, still available today. My observations using a small container of plain Folger's from the store:

    - Going by the on-the-box directions and a paper filter (fill water to "1", tablespoon of grounds,) I can't taste anything; a cup of hot, generic bitter background impression. Not even using the Melitta filters adds flavor, now I see why everyone buys the darkest roast they can find and piles the grounds high, it's so you can taste something at all. Adding more grounds just increases the bitter, like disconnecting all the speakers from a home theater system except the subwoofer and listening to music that way; very tiring on the senses very quickly.

    - Switching to the metal filter ups both the flavor and the bitter, so you can reduce the amount of coffee you're using. The sweet spot for my 133ml/4.5 fl oz/"1" cup serving seems to be 6 grams, which is basically a slightly heaping teaspoon; this means even the small ~11oz container of coffee will last a whopping 53 servings, very frugal. The bad news is that no paper filter means you're not getting any health benefit over the french press, all the LDL oils are still coming through.

    I'm hoping there's a way to use a paper filter and still get flavor out of this, but if there's a magic combination I can't find it..

  19. #79

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    So given the time constraints of the holiday season, I had to simplify my morning routine to some already-ready coffee, meaning I had to revert to using a drip coffeemaker. I do in fact own one, from ~3 years ago that was hidden in a moving box in the garage, and with a bit of cleaning and a vinegar cycle, I got it up and running. Behold the Heavy Metal Coffeemaker:


    Metal carafe, metal filter, metal face. The ~$30 model JWX9, still available today. My observations using a small container of plain Folger's from the store:

    - Going by the on-the-box directions and a paper filter (fill water to "1", tablespoon of grounds,) I can't taste anything; a cup of hot, generic bitter background impression. Not even using the Melitta filters adds flavor, now I see why everyone buys the darkest roast they can find and piles the grounds high, it's so you can taste something at all. Adding more grounds just increases the bitter, like disconnecting all the speakers from a home theater system except the subwoofer and listening to music that way; very tiring on the senses very quickly.

    - Switching to the metal filter ups both the flavor and the bitter, so you can reduce the amount of coffee you're using. The sweet spot for my 133ml/4.5 fl oz/"1" cup serving seems to be 6 grams, which is basically a slightly heaping teaspoon; this means even the small ~11oz container of coffee will last a whopping 53 servings, very frugal. The bad news is that no paper filter means you're not getting any health benefit over the french press, all the LDL oils are still coming through.

    I'm hoping there's a way to use a paper filter and still get flavor out of this, but if there's a magic combination I can't find it..
    Wow. Being a fresh roast / fresh grind guy myself. (I roast my own). This sounds painful. Hope you get some extra time on your hands so you can put these bad coffee days behind you.

    Just roasted some Guatemalan coffee today. I will post a picture in a few minutes to help give you some inspiration and shake you back into coffee reality. Cause I know this cheap coffee thing must be killing you.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

  20. #80

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    My personal coffee making trifecta. Better coffee days to you in the near future StarHalo.

    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

  21. #81
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    I'm still doing french pressed fresh roast on the weekends, I just need something faster for the workaday fast breakfast. This makes me wonder if the Oxo/Bonavita "auto-pourover" machines are the happy middle though; you'd still have to grind and then brew, but it's a paper filter and flavor with some speed..

  22. #82

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    HAHA I use my cheap 4-cup Mr Coffee on the weekend. I just want to wake up and have coffee with no effort. I did start using the Chemex a bit more, but still a PITA in my opinion. Keeping it hot without breaking the glass? I've been putting it on my gas stove on low (so low you can hardly see the flame). Hopefully that's OK.
    GOOD TINT!

  23. #83
    *Flashaholic* StarHalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,361

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    My personal coffee making trifecta.
    Can your kettle come on automatically, as with an outlet timer or similar? That would knock ~5 minutes off my brewing time for any method that required manual water heating, if it were already ready to go in the morning. And I take it your grinder allows you to dial in the amount of grounds you want?

    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Keeping it hot without breaking the glass?
    Chemex cozy or a Zojirushi thermal carafe.

  24. #84

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    ^^^^

    No, my kettle is not on a timer, but I'm guessing there must be some available on the market that are on a timer.

    Yes, this particular grinder has both grinding and dosing adjustments. I will be brewing my after dinner cup in about a half hour.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

  25. #85
    Flashaholic* dhunley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    581

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    I buy my beans from a local roaster. I either brew using a moka pot, but usually just use my Ninja coffee maker with a brass filter.

  26. #86
    Flashaholic* martinaee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,469

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    This is more on the budget end, but for those who still want decent store bought whole beans:

    I recently have been surprised when I got 2 different bags of whole bean organic (labeled as such at least) coffee from an Aldi grocery store near me. It's NOT BAD at all and is 4 dollars for a 12oz bag. At least as good in my opinion as coffee that I've purchased more in the 8-10 dollar range for a similar 12oz bag from other stores. At least by the store closest to me they have two varieties. Honduran and a Peruvian sourced bags. I didn't do a scientific taste test, but they both taste overall about the same with the Peruvian beans maybe being a bit "brighter" in taste. I just ended up mixing the two 12oz bags into a left over sealable container I had. So 24oz of decent store-bought whole beans for 8 bucks and change it's pretty good. The beans were decently fresh for what they were too. After I ground them and did a pour-over I was getting some decent blooming so the beans were far from totally stale and old. It's not fresh-roasted that day beans, but honestly I never really have found myself personally to care or even always like super fresh roasted beans (don't kill me). Sometimes super fresh roasted beans have that really rich quality to the taste which is great, but not always what I want. Considering I probably make on average at least 2-3 pour over cups a day (not sure exactly how many beans in weight I use... I just fill the grinder a specific amount) it's a fantastic find for me. Basically all I'll probably be drinking for the most part from now on unless I get fresh roasted beans occasionally from a place that fresh roasts beans or from an online roaster.

    I posted this on the main Reddit coffee forum and they took it down and accused me of shilling lol, but I'm just a guy who likes good perceived value just as much as good coffee. I'd say try a bag or both at least if you have an Aldi store close by. The bags are white with either light chartreuse or light orange lettering depending on whether it's the Honduran or Peruvian variety.

  27. #87
    Flashaholic* Overclocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)



    lebanese coffee w/ cardamom

    anyone does coffee reading? what does this mean i see a duck and a cute little winged horse

  28. #88
    Flashaholic* RBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    550

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    For daily use I take a 10 cup stainless steel Bialetti stove top and Illy Espresso, for larger amounts I use a three hole Friesland 1X4 porcelain filter cone, Melitta Gourmet filter bags and Arabica from Brazil.

    Cheers

    RBR
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

  29. #89

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Just got back from a 10 day conference held in a 4 star hotel that serves some gourmet brand of African coffee.
    Yuck!
    They gave us Sunday off so I went searching (in vain) in the college town in the middle of nowhere for a 'normal' cup of coffee. Everything tasted like that A&P stuff my parents used to percolate when I was a kid... percolated coffee to a 4 year old is... BITTER.
    With enough sugar the after taste wasn't still stuck in my taste buds the next morning. To me, it's all about the lingering after taste....

    It was like those wealthy folks have no idea their $5/bottle micro-brew is nothing but over-priced Pabst Blue Ribbon.

    This morning there was an enjoyable cup of 8 o'clock from a Mr. Coffee when I woke.
    Priceless.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-03-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    John 3:16

  30. #90
    Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,012

    Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

    Itís funny-I am a tried and true coffee lover with varied tastes, yet the very best coffee in the world(ok, I have not tried Kopi Luwak despite the fact Wal-Mart now carries it for only $449/Kg) is coffee fresh brewed over a campfire...ďmountain coffeeĒ, after getting up at sunrise to fish. Something about being frozen by the water and weather and yet warmed by fresh trout caught & cooked within the hour and that first cup of joe...it has been way too long. If I make it through this next surgery without being paralyzed I think I hear Kennedy Meadows calling my name...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •