Sky Lumen        
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeddiethefirst View Post
    coffee fresh brewed over a campfire...“mountain coffee”, after getting up at sunrise to fish.
    It probably tastes better at the beach or in a rainforest too Pictures next time..

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    It was like those wealthy folks have no idea their $5/bottle micro-brew is nothing but over-priced Pabst Blue Ribbon.
    I personally guarantee you that's not the case, start here to see for yourself.

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

...It was like those wealthy folks have no idea their $5/bottle micro-brew is nothing but over-priced Pabst Blue Ribbon. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    ...I personally guarantee you that's not the case, start here to see for yourself.
    Yeah, bykfixer had to expect a reply to that line.

Point - StarHalo.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Expected, yes. And from the poster at that.

If the point was to volley a response... well done.
    If the point was to convince me that just because something is expensive makes it better... well, let's just say no change occured.
    John 3:16

If the point was to convince me that just because something is expensive makes it better... well, let's just say no change occured.
    And I could tell you all about why a Cascade-hopped pale ale is more expensive than a rice adjunct lager, but you could experience it for yourself by trying the pictured store-shelf brew.

Returning to coffee: I think as store-shelf coffees go, I might actually like Peet's Big Bang better than Major Dickason's..

And I could tell you all about why a Cascade-hopped pale ale is more expensive than a rice adjunct lager, but you could experience it for yourself by trying the pictured store-shelf brew.

Returning to coffee: I think as store-shelf coffees go, I might actually like Peet's Big Bang better than Major Dickason's..

Hated it. My sister gave me some for Christmas. One sip and I dumped the pot full, and poured the remaining grounds in my compost pile.

https://ext.vt.edu/agriculture/comme...ure/hops.html#
    I attended the 2nd day of this recently.
    While attending a course on leadership and resolution solving in the road building industry the conference was taking place. We graduated on the morning of the 2nd day of the event that was taking place on the floor below us, so myself and a few classmates hung around, mingled and learned.
    We had just completed a semester worth of training in 10 days and were in the mood to learn a bit about making an occasional batch of suds before embarking on a several hour drive back home.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-04-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Hey StarHalo and all Aeropress coffee drinkers. I was recently made aware of a cold brew attachment for the Aeropress. It's called Puck Puck. Looks interesting and should be available for purchase in the next couple of months.

If anyone has experience with cold brew and knows how it's made and has brewer recommendations I'm very interested in giving it a try.

Here is a link to Puck Puck if anyone is interested. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...s#/updates/all
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Last Fall, one of my birthday gifts from Mrs.K was a Starbucks card; this is not entirely uncommon, but the fact that this one was $100, made me feel like I owned the place for a number of months.

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I have been enjoying Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Dunkin Donuts decaf is my new friend.

With a level teaspoon of pre-melted raw sugar.
    Mmmmmmmmm.

Dunkin Donuts decaf is my new friend.
    I always wondered what they do to their coffee in the shops, because the DD coffee I buy in the bag tastes so different when I make it at home. I swear some places melt a half stick of butter in each pot.
    GOOD TINT!

Water and process make a huge difference. Try your favourite coffee made with your local water in a normal coffee machine, then try the same coffee and amount brewed with the same but previously filtered water in a porcellain cone or a Bialetti for example, completely different world...
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

Most commercial food places use an osmosis water filter system; brew with bottled water for something roughly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by RBR View Post
    Water and process make a huge difference. Try your favourite coffee made with your local water in a normal coffee machine, then try the same coffee and amount brewed with the same but previously filtered water in a porcellain cone or a Bialetti for example, completely different world...
    I've seen those Bialetti pots and assumed they were mini peculators. I just looked into that and understand it now, I think. Definitely something to put on my Amazon list!

p.s. OK I just watched one of these on youtube. Very cool! I may just order one right now. The USPS has to be SOOO sick of delivering Amazon to my door everyday by now

p.p.s I can't decide between the 3 and 6 cup. I like to drink plain old coffee 5-6oz at a time in a standard mug. But if I understand, drinking 6oz out of this Bialetti will have me bouncing off the walls or crapping my pants. Drinking a 2oz of anything isn't my style (since I sit at a computer and mike that 6oz of coffee over 30 minutes) so, I'm lost.
    Last edited by markr6; 07-13-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    GOOD TINT!

Then i would recommend to possibly try a porcelain pour over like this here instead, using filterd water or low mineralized water like Evian or similar.
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    drinking 6oz out of this Bialetti will have me bouncing off the walls or crapping my pants. Drinking a 2oz of anything isn't my style (since I sit at a computer and mike that 6oz of coffee over 30 minutes) so, I'm lost.
    Make an Americano; one shot from the Bialetti then fill the rest of your cup/serving with near-boiling water - the same flavor, just more of it.

Make an Americano; one shot from the Bialetti then fill the rest of your cup/serving with near-boiling water - the same flavor, just more of it.
    I'm lazy to do yet another step of heating water for that, but yeah, that seems like the best answer. I just ordered the 3cup version. Maybe I can warm up to the smaller serving of stronger coffee and fall back on an americano if I don't like it. Can't wait to get this! The strange thing is even with Prime, it says delivery by Thursday. In stock, no holiday, ?? That's the first time I've seen that. Maybe it's a glitch and will show up Wednesday.
    GOOD TINT!

I'm lazy to do yet another step of heating water for that
    ~1 cup ~2 mins in the microwave, the water will be done before the coffee is.

The strange thing is even with Prime, it says delivery by Thursday. In stock, no holiday, ?? That's the first time I've seen that. Maybe it's a glitch and will show up Wednesday.
    Prime Day is Monday, it'll probably still arrive early.

Prime Day is Monday, it'll probably still arrive early.
    I forgot about that. Just shipped actually, ETA Tuesday! I think my local stores have Illy Moka, or maybe just the espresso? I can't remember having never bought it. Worse case scenario I will just experiment with regular coffee.
    GOOD TINT!

I forgot about that. Just shipped actually, ETA Tuesday! I think my local stores have Illy Moka, or maybe just the espresso? I can't remember having never bought it. Worse case scenario I will just experiment with regular coffee.
    A good time to try fresh roast, Philz will mail you a pound for $14; remember the rule: Fresh roast coffee in a $10 drugstore drip coffeemaker tastes better than store-shelf coffee out of a $1,000 coffeemaker

A good time to try fresh roast, Philz will mail you a pound for $14; remember the rule: Fresh roast coffee in a $10 drugstore drip coffeemaker tastes better than store-shelf coffee out of a $1,000 coffeemaker
    So true! BTW, my order is out for delivery a day early! Amazon...all over it 24/7.
    GOOD TINT!

A Cyber Monday sale new toy: the Technivorm Moccamaster Cup One. A very zen little coffeemaker; almost 12" tall, no carafe, no hotplate. The entire water reservoir is the clear bit at the upper left, you can clean the interior of it with a cloth. Water pours over the grounds at 200 degrees, directly into your cup, the machine turns off when it's out of water, done. Takes cone filters which means I can use my preferred Melitta non-bleached perforated filters for better flavor. Should be fun..

...... It is also pretty cool L@@King. A coffee cup for size reference, please.

~ CG

User notes:

- There's one initial gurgle of water when the unit is first turned on, then there is only the coffee streaming into the cup and a very faint low white noise from the boiler, otherwise the unit makes no sound.

- Only the portion of the unit over the cup becomes hot, everywhere else on the base, column, reservoir remains room temp cool.

- The mechanical power switch also mechanically turns itself to the off position.

- #1 filters are tiny and hard to come by, will have to also order these online.

With 12 oz cup, other items for scale:
    Last edited by StarHalo; 12-02-2018 at 04:42 PM.

For people that drink quality / fresh coffee - this impresses me as a no-brainer. One wonders how a mechanical switch turns itself off. Gotta love technology. Thanks for the additional picture and I hope it turns out to be just the ticket.

~ Chance

I like the looks of that! I wish the cone would slide straight out instead of having to tilt it to clear the water spout. That looked annoying from the one video I watched. I need a good one-cup solution for work.
    GOOD TINT!

The water spout is just pushed into a silicone gasket, so you can rotate/remove it as you please. The bigger issue is the price; they really want you to know it's handmade in the Netherlands, but the five year warranty is a plus. I've been doing unfiltered coffee for so long that it's starting to show in my blood tests, so I had to find a coffeemaker that used the good filters but would also serve small portions since I only ever make a 5-10 fl oz cup, this one checks all the boxes..

Flashaholic*

Peet's is my favorite.

(Haven't found any of their coffee in a normal store,but there's a Peet's shop on-campus at Portland State University.)

Don't know about their normal coffee,but I like the mochas.

The water spout is just pushed into a silicone gasket, so you can rotate/remove it as you please. The bigger issue is the price; they really want you to know it's handmade in the Netherlands, but the five year warranty is a plus. I've been doing unfiltered coffee for so long that it's starting to show in my blood tests, so I had to find a coffeemaker that used the good filters but would also serve small portions since I only ever make a 5-10 fl oz cup, this one checks all the boxes..
    I'll starting browsing on amazon and elsewhere, but do you have and suggestions for something similar, but a lot cheaper? I'd like to get something for work, but they already threw a fit about people using space heaters and overloading the circuits. So anything "less scary" looking I can probably get away with, regardless of the amps it pulls. I think if I brought in my own small drip coffee maker they would assume it was an energy hog/hazard.
    GOOD TINT!

I'll starting browsing on amazon and elsewhere, but do you have and suggestions for something similar, but a lot cheaper? I'd like to get something for work, but they already threw a fit about people using space heaters and overloading the circuits. So anything "less scary" looking I can probably get away with, regardless of the amps it pulls. I think if I brought in my own small drip coffee maker they would assume it was an energy hog/hazard.
    the aeropress is probably the best coffee maker that you can buy that does not require any power. Of course you do have to heat up the water somehow in order to use it.

I roast and grind my own coffee and have been using the aeropress daily for a number of years and I am completely satisfied. Baristas all over the world use it as well and rave about it. Just an option.
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Amazon's little $15 electric kettle is pretty benign looking at nearly 8" tall, but be aware it actually does pull 1500 watts; that plus a french press/pour over/Aeropress would be both discreet and cheap.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast