Angryfox        
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    A Cyber Monday sale new toy: the Technivorm Moccamaster Cup One. A very zen little coffeemaker; almost 12" tall, no carafe, no hotplate. The entire water reservoir is the clear bit at the upper left, you can clean the interior of it with a cloth. Water pours over the grounds at 200 degrees, directly into your cup, the machine turns off when it's out of water, done. Takes cone filters which means I can use my preferred Melitta non-bleached perforated filters for better flavor. Should be fun..
    Why did you have to show me that... lol wow I haven't even owned any type of electric coffee maker for years, but I feel like I would actually use that. I never even thought about really small single cup type makers.

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverages)

My morning coffee is only 4.5 oz, on the weekends I take it up to a full 9 oz, so I don't have a use for anything other than a small coffeemaker; the Aeropress, the Kalita Wave, the Bodum 12oz french press, now this mini Moccamaster, all small. Now that I've gotten used to this scale, I like how little counter space it takes up, a regular sized coffeemaker would seem outsized and excessive.

The Dutchman is as quick and easy to use as a common $20 store shelf coffeemaker, I think it's a brilliantly engineered evolution of the auto drip design that's only prevented from wider adoption by the cost of the parts. So just as there are flashaholic flashlights, there are coffeeholic coffeemakers..

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverag

and now for something completely different...

Last edited by Empath; 01-03-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Restore title to receiving thread after moving from "interesting videos" thread

Default Re: The Official CPF Coffee Thread. All things Coffee... (And related beverag

Yeah, my coffee making is probably somewhere along the lines of "ghetto chemex" like above. I've been using a plastic Melitta pour over filter holder for probably 5-10 years at this point Not too fancy, but it gets the job done.

She is doing it "ghetto"/expedient style, it may make a decent cup but she has no way to reproduce an unusually good result or see what modest changes to individual variables will make; gotta use a scale to weigh both the water and the grounds, a thermometer for the water, and a timer for brew timing. Start at 10:1 water:grounds weight, 200F brew water, and 4 minutes total brew time.

Yeah, I think this year I will try to scrounge together some stuff and get serious about the consistency. I notice every once in a while I'll have that "perfect cup" in terms of sweetness and taste even with just a bit of milk/cream. I use a blade grinder so it's not fancy, but I think first off is the water temp for the pour over and the amount of beans. I'll start with those two variables and go from there. Definitely the water temp seems to be big. I'm not super careful with it, but I notice it's better when I bring the kettle to a boil and then either let it sit for a few minutes or pour a bit of cold water in it to bring it probably from 220 or more down 10-20 degrees.

It sounds complicated but it's really not; I started out with a Harbor Freight kitchen scale, a meat thermometer, and the timer on my phone - Amazon has kitchen scales less than half the price of HF's, and there's now an entire lineup of pour-over kettles with thermometers built-in. Set the kettle on the scale, add 250 grams of water, heat. Set a container for beans on the scale, add 25 grams beans, grind. When water is at 200 degrees, begin pour-over, start timer the moment the water touches the grounds. At the four minute mark, toss filter and grounds, serve. If all the water went through the filter long before the four minute mark, your grind is too coarse; if there's still quite a bit of liquid coffee sitting in the filter, your grind is too fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    and now for something completely different...

I mentioned Chemex earlier in the thread because it always impresses me. So simple, but a better taste.
    GOOD TINT!

I had my first cup of ground coffee last month. First, I got a couple of bags of roasted beans (Certified South Carolina) from my secret santa. Then I got a 100g Hario ceramic grinder. My Bonavita 8 cup no longer heats the water properly, so I use it's filter / coffee holder as a pour over and it works fine with the Melitta filters. I use a pyrex measuring glass since the spout allows trickle pouring. I switched back to drinking it black early last year and love my results. I put the beans in a ball jar for freshness.

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 01-10-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    ...What temperature water do you use
    According to the SCA Certified Home Brewer Program:

Minimum technical requirement is for the water temperature at the point the water contacts the coffee grounds to reach 92°C / 198F within the first minute, maintain at least that temperature (92°C / 198F) for the remainder of the brew cycle, and never exceed 96°C / 205F.

^ from the minimum certification requirements pdf.

The NCA (National Coffee Association) says:

Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 (91C) to 205 (96C) degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction.

Klatch Coffee, got two of those nearby. All fresh roasted. Get yours here, the Panama Elida is the bang-for-the-buck bag, but there's Hawaiian and Geisha there if you have the funds..
    Thanks StarHalo - got some Panama Elida Natural to try this morning. Excellent cup! Oh and love your Technivorm Moccamaster. Is it the 10oz?

Thanks StarHalo - got some Panama Elida Natural to try this morning. Excellent cup! Oh and love your Technivorm Moccamaster. Is it the 10oz?
    Enjoy your world-ranked coffee And yes, I'm enjoying Elida from the Cup-one as I'm typing, it makes every morning a good morning..

Any suggestions for a good warming plate/mug warmer? I have the $8 Mr. Coffee deal; it does OK. But when making drip coffee, it's already a bit cool from the beginning from sitting there while the water drips. I'm obviously not looking to boil, just something to slightly heat the mug instead of simply keeping it warm.
    GOOD TINT!

Hmm... I forgot that I was wanting something like that a long time ago. I was wondering if I could find something that's sort of a small chunk of steel or something that you could heat on a stove for a bit and then put on a ceramic base. Something that would hold heat for maybe 15-20 minutes more that you could use as a coaster to keep your coffee mug warm a while longer. Then I could just heat it up while I make a cup and put it on my desk while I work on my computer.

I use Henckels Sorrento 12 oz double-wall glass coffee mugs, definitely holds in the heat better than my single-wall titanium mug. $30 for a pair.

Oh man I totally forgot I had one of those double walled glass mugs a long time ago... My wife doesn't read CPF so I can say she broke the one I had lol. I would like to have one of these again This Henckels one looks a little beefier though if it can hold 12oz. I think the one I had was one of those Starbucks ones. It was pretty thin-walled.

I use Henckels Sorrento 12 oz double-wall glass coffee mugs, definitely holds in the heat better than my single-wall titanium mug. $30 for a pair.

Will the Aeropress fit on these?
    "There ain't no bones in a hotdog" F. York.

Just wanted to thank you all for the advice and tips. I use a Melitta pour over and various coffee types from Fairway market. I appropriated my wife’s kitchen scale for measuring. She jokes how I became the mad scientist when making coffee.

One day I would like to get the Moccamaster but for now, the pour over works for me.

I use an insulated mug at home, but I find my glass mug on the warming plate works better than that. But I'd still like to take it another step further. I wish it put out just a little more heat.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by noboneshotdog View Post
    Will the Aeropress fit on these?
    Yes, it's a "regular" size mug.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I use an insulated mug at home, but I find my glass mug on the warming plate works better than that. But I'd still like to take it another step further. I wish it put out just a little more heat.
    There's a whole parade of self-warming mugs that just recently hit the market, and they all have awful reviews. Look instead to a plate that includes a mug specifically tailored for warming plate use; search "Cosori warmer and mug set."

There's a whole parade of self-warming mugs that just recently hit the market, and they all have awful reviews. Look instead to a plate that includes a mug specifically tailored for warming plate use; search "Cosori warmer and mug set."
    Good looking set! Thanks. I was hoping to keep it around $20, but with the good reviews on this I think it'll be worth the price.
    GOOD TINT!

If you feel your current plate is up to the task, any metal bivouac mug with Snow Peak’s Hot Lips on it would do..

For around the house, I've got a few Deneen pottery mugs, and the 14oz size (Deneen's Camper mug size) is perfect.

For sitting out back with a pipe and some Carter Hall in below 32F / 0.0C, my Ozark Trail 20oz keeps my coffee hot for 30 (minutes) to an hour or more easy.

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 01-18-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Those stainless tumblers are great! I got the RTIC brand for $11 on amazon last year. But grabbing that without gloves while camping in 10° is painful! I picked up a plastic handle for it on ebay for a few $$.
    GOOD TINT!

Enjoy your world-ranked coffee And yes, I'm enjoying Elida from the Cup-one as I'm typing, it makes every morning a good morning..
    It's amazing how the flavors come through.

It's amazing how the flavors come through.
    Make sure you stick with those Melitta filters for fresh roast; a plain filter will remove most of the flavor. Melitta for fresh roast, plain for store shelf.

Make sure you stick with those Melitta filters for fresh roast; a plain filter will remove most of the flavor. Melitta for fresh roast, plain for store shelf.
    I just bought some of those (bamboo) for the first time. $2.99 for a 60-pack. #2 working great in my pour over!
    GOOD TINT!

What is a good grinder to get? Will be using it for pour over.

What is a good grinder to get? Will be using it for pour over.
    If your beans are oily/not fresh roast, that oil gets all over the interior of the machine and requires constant cleaning via grinder tablets or rice. There is very little difference in flavor between store shelf beans and store shelf ground, it's not worth the extra effort to get roughly the same cup of coffee in that instance.

If you have dry fresh roast beans, you want an at least burr, if not conical burr, grinder; the more expensive models have a more even grind at extremely fine settings for espresso machines, if you're just doing regular coffee by hand you don't need to pay extra for that precision. Capresso's Infinity 560 model is considered the standard for entry-level non-espresso grinding, ~$90.

If your beans are oily/not fresh roast, that oil gets all over the interior of the machine and requires constant cleaning via grinder tablets or rice. There is very little difference in flavor between store shelf beans and store shelf ground, it's not worth the extra effort to get roughly the same cup of coffee in that instance.

If you have dry fresh roast beans, you want an at least burr, if not conical burr, grinder; the more expensive models have a more even grind at extremely fine settings for espresso machines, if you're just doing regular coffee by hand you don't need to pay extra for that precision. Capresso's Infinity 560 model is considered the standard for entry-level non-espresso grinding, ~$90.
    Thanks. In my first couple bags of beans, one (the Brazil) was visibly oily, so now I know what you're talking about. The Klatch Panama Elida Natural that I just got, on the other hand, was different, and a bear to grind in my 100g Hario hand grinder - so it must be the freshness.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast