Default Re: ReyLight Mokume Gane AA/14500 flashlight coming soon

My thoughts:

Driver
    same as Lan and Piineapple with 3 modes

No clip
    Trits
    3x11mm in the middle
    2 1.5x6 on the sides

Definitly a pre-sale and Count me in for one.

Quote Originally Posted by RGRAY View Post
    My thoughts:

Driver
    same as Lan and Piineapple with 3 modes

No clip
    Trits
    3x11mm in the middle
    2 1.5x6 on the sides

Definitly a pre-sale and Count me in for one.
    Also thinking to carve a hole the middle, and make 2 1.5*6 beneath it on the tail surface.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Yep. Clip is too short and too soft. Bends easily and doesn't spring back.
    I meant the design, but not in Ti material.

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    New Lan!! Nice. No tailstanding though?[/COLOR]
    No.

One for me. Rey!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    New Lan!! Nice. No tailstanding though?
    the following would be great:

- tailstanding ability is very important - especially since it is an AA!
    this will be a great light to keep by the bed if it can tailstand for forays around the house when wants a little light to see by, and with trits to help find it in the dark.

- clicky like in the LAN
    - LAN driver, with exact same 4 modes (it is easy to advance very quickly through them to the desired level)
    - the latest reflector and LED
    - regarding trits - perhaps like the LAN on the head - 3 around the light, and a few around the bottom in the outside grooves that already seem to be there (maybe a few more grooves could be added - same size trits as in the head) and maybe one in the switch, as in the LAN.

I think tailstanding is far more important that placing trits on the flat surface of the bottom of the light.

If this ends up not being a clicky, then it could tailstand in this way -- check out the bottom of lights such as the Lumintop Ant -- this still would allow for a trit and a way to put a split ring in place, and since it is an AA, the triangular configuration on the bottom of the Fenix E99 Ti would I think allow for a trit slot as well.

I love the LAN - and all the features is has.
    Last edited by phosphor22; 10-25-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hbk_rey View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Make a spacing to fit other (18350/18650) clips sounds great. The thickness is not availabe now, will see what I can do. I don't understand the HDS light you mentioned, could you pls pm me link or pic?
    Old HDS lights had the body tapped for a clip like this:

People that didn't want a clip used the holes to mount a lanyard attachment. You can see some of the various attachments here, the bottom clip is a standard bezel up clip, one above that is a deep carry bezel down clip and in the top left is the lanyard attachment:

Last edited by Ozythemandias; 10-25-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Old HDS lights had the body tapped for a clip like this:
    People that didn't want a clip used the holes to mount a lanyard attachment. You can see some of the various attachments here, the bottom clip is a standard bezel up clip, one above that is a deep carry bezel down clip and in the top left is the lanyard attachment:
    Thanks for the pics. Wondering what is in the head? Doesn't the two holes touch anything inside the tube? unless it is really thick.

Thanks for the pics. Wondering what is in the head? Doesn't the two holes touch anything inside the tube? unless it is really thick.
    HDS lights are kinda bulky, 18350 sized running off a 16340. Thick walls etc, the focus is on durability, not compactness.

No one has taken into consideration the softness of moku u can drill and tap holes all u want for a pocket clip most likely just pull out

Trits or not,
    Tailstand or not,
    Clip or not,
    I'm gonna buy the mokume gane reylight, I love everyone of my Reylights so far so I'm sure I'll love it too

Rey the light is your design do what you feel is right
    Last edited by Weld Inspector; 10-25-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    No such thing as too many flashlights, or knives.................
    No matter what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Weld Inspector View Post
    No one has taken into consideration the softness of moku u can drill and tap holes all u want for a pocket clip most likely just pull out
    I dont see how it can be softer than copper and there's plenty of screw mounted copper clips.

Rey, for what its worth I like the design and size of this one:

I do suggest a black or darker clip to match the Mokume better

Quote Originally Posted by Weld Inspector View Post

Trits or not,
    Tailstand or not,
    Clip or not,
    I'm gonna buy the mokume gane reylight, I love everyone of my Reylights so far so I'm sure I'll love it too

Rey the light is your design do what you feel is right
    Thanks.
    I listen and make decision, try best to make most of us happy.
    Trits, must.
    Tailstand, actually it can taistand now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    I dont see how it can be softer than copper and there's plenty of screw mounted copper clips.

Rey, for what its worth I like the design and size of this one:

I do suggest a black or darker clip to match the Mokume better
    Yes,
    I do like the clip like many others do, except the softness of Ti, trying to make a steel version. There isn't room (thichness) for drilled clip, a spring is in it. Might do clicky and detachable tail, like the LAN did.

Default ReyLight Mokume Gane AA/14500 flashlight coming soon

Yes,
    I do like the clip like many others do, except the softness of Ti, trying to make a steel version. There isn't room (thichness) for drilled clip, a spring is in it. Might do clicky and detachable tail, like the LAN did.
    This is ok, Iím not very picky. I think Oveready uses a spring steel of sorts over Ti, probably for similar reasons.

An ideal fancy AA light IMO is high Cri (219b 4000k is my preference), tail switch, tailstands, floody beam profile, pocket clip and has a moonlight mode with some tasteful trits.

Your designs hits almost all those points so Iím sure Iím going to love whatever you come up with.

Looks promising. Its a great shame about no tailstanding though (in my opinion)
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by phosphor22 View Post
    How about just nickel silver and copper? (my favorite combination ) - great contrast within the pattern, especially as the copper develops a wonderful patina...
    Although in this the copper was also etched and the nickel silver polished, you can see the idea -- here in a Photon Fanatic light:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...me-Gane-Killer

And here, in George's very recent Nucleus, note the Mokume light after a short bit of time and the patina -- just brass and copper do not have as much contrast; you can see all three metals here in his light - scroll down to the Mokume one:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...opper-Complete!

Hope you decide to keep the nickel silver in this light.
    Perhaps the particular bar stock used in the sample did not have as much of the nickel silver consistently interwoven in the pattern, or as much nickel silver as other bars might. IMO the silver adds an important visual aspect.
    +1
    copper and nickel silver!
    "haben ist besser als brauchen"

Flashaholic

Looking forward to seeing the light Rey!
    Last edited by phosphor22; 10-26-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Flashaholic

Hey Rey, check out the clip on the Manker Timeback II. It is machined from Ti, and held on by one screw. Something like that might be cool. It could even be machined from the same material as the flashlight. I recently ordered a replacement clip for my Spyderco Techno machined from MokuTi, so it's being done.

Quote Originally Posted by th8tredude View Post
    Hey Rey, check out the clip on the Manker Timeback II. It is machined from Ti, and held on by one screw. Something like that might be cool. It could even be machined from the same material as the flashlight. I recently ordered a replacement clip for my Spyderco Techno machined from MokuTi, so it's being done.
    Thank you. I tried that light. The clips is really heavy and hard, very little stretch.

After some acid. Will keep doing to get some etching.

QQ截图20171029171326 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145188701@N05/]
    QQ截图20171029171339 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/145188701@N05/]

Tailstand, actually it can taistand now.
    It doesn't look from the design like the tailstand would be very secure. It looks like it could topple over easily.
    I would prefer for the whole tail to be completely flat at the bottom.

Would you be able to make some lights without any clips for those that would prefer them without and others with clips for those who prefer them?

I'm in the former camp of preferring this particular light in such an exotic material without a clip. Unless its a really special and well thought out clip both in looks and function, its only likely to detract from such a nice light.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    It doesn't look from the design like the tailstand would be very secure. It looks like it could topple over easily.
    I would prefer for the whole tail to be completely flat at the bottom.

Would you be able to make some lights without any clips for those that would prefer them without and others with clips for those who prefer them?

I'm in the former camp of preferring this particular light in such an exotic material without a clip. Unless its a really special and well thought out clip both in looks and function, its only likely to detract from such a nice light.
    Thanks for the advice.
    The light was done, pls read here: http://www.reylight.cn/?p=269

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12