Is this normal for the LSH beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with my new LSH-S for few days now. I'm wondering if this is normal for the beam. There seems to be a ~5 degree arc in the side spill that is darker. If I look at the dome, I can see something on the side that I think is causing the shadow. It doesn't look like farkle. I'd guess it's a smear of some kind of adhesive, or maybe some abrasion on the dome. Unfortunately, the macro on my digicam doesn't seem to get it, or I'd take a shot of what I see through the lens.

It's directly over top one of the little wires that connects the emitter. Here's a link to the image of a beamshot that shows it:
http://home.comcast.net/~amymbower/Arc974.jpg

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Nitnos

Newly Enlightened
Ty - My brother and I both purchased LSH-S's this last week. I've seen both lights myself, in fact im looking at them right now, and neither one of them had the shadow that your picture showed. I'm not too sure whether or not the shadow would warrant a return, but if I were you I'd at least ask. Best of luck.

ssb

Newly Enlightened
Nice looking beam Ty! Only really see one bond wire 'shadow', my LSH shows both (opposite sides of the hotspot).

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the most part, it is a really nice beam. The color has no green or yellow at all. If anything, it has a bit too much blue, although the picture makes it look nearly perfect white. The hotspot is pretty bright (although are they ever bright enough?) and nicely shaped and centered.

You can very clearly see one of the bond wires at the six o'clock position. Where the other bond wire should appear, at the twelve o'clock position, there is a much wider shadow of something else. The edges of the shadow are soft, not sharp like the bond wire, which make it less noticable in the photo. It's especially apparent if you rotate the Arc about it's long axis while you look at the beam.

I guess it just gives #974 a little character.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I am wondering if whether the bond wires are exactly equidistant or not from the die base would affect their images represented in the beam pattern?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting theory, but I'm sure that's not the cause in my case. I can see something on the side of the dome. It's probably coincidental that it happens to be almost directly over one of the bond wires.

It looks the the frosted effect you get when CA fumes get to plastic. The following picture is really lousy. I need to try to put my Arc on the scanner and see if that comes in any better:

http://home.comcast.net/~amymbower/through_the_lens.jpg

There's a grey blur just past the six o'clock position that's larger than the other grey dots around the dome. If you turn the light at an angle, you can easily see it reaches up the side of the dome. If I note the orientation of the light, then point it at the wall and turn it on, I see the sidespill shadow lines up with the splotch on the dome.

Weird, huh?

was_jlh

Enlightened
Ty, I have a LSH-S and a LSH-P, neither of them have the effect yours is showing. The only things you see in mine are the well-defined bond wire patterns.

watchdog2001

Newly Enlightened
Ty,
I have a LSH-ST and mine is best described the way was_jlh said, "well defined bond wire patterns". I think you nailed it with your earlier post, the "frosting" is diffusing the bond wire pattern on one side which cause the wire pattern to be softer on one side than the other.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.