A Commonality?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that a good number of flashaholics are also shootists (firearm enthusiasts).

Anyone else notice that there are a lot of gun owners on this board?

Also, there are several members over at The High Road that provide links to this board.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that guns, knives, and flashlights are all common interests around here. I only own three guns though, I've got a lot more knives and flashlights.

-Keith

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
NeonLights said:
I've noticed that guns, knives, and flashlights are all common interests around here. I only own three guns though, I've got a lot more knives and flashlights.

-Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had much interest in knives. (although I can see the beauty in a well made Samurai sword).

Guns and flashlights I am addicted to though.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,

This is no accident. It's a human nature thing. It's also mostly a guy thing.

About 1 in a hundred women have this interest. One was my sister, and another was one I dated years ago. Her idea of fun is winding tesla coils and EMPing her clock radio.

My radio club in Virginia is the flip side of the gun club.

www.amrad.org

Guns, lamps, cutting tools, radios, are all gadgits.

We are gadgit freaks, I plead guilty.

Back home Ive got three old Enfield Battle rifles, A couple of Russian arms, and an assortment of hand guns. Also a lode of radio gear.

For pix from the gun club click.

www.irighti.org
Before I split for the sand box, I was working on an old Marantz stereo with toward restoring it. It needs a new output relay and a stereo pilot lamp. No remotes, no digital circuits, a solid bit of analog electronics.

I also fix up old CB radios. I like Royce as a mechanical style. CPI gear when I can find it because it's exotic. Teaberry because there were very few of them, and Mars Electronics because there were even fewer of them.

As I can afford it, I collect older exotic electronic test equipment.

HP3456A 6.5 digit multimeter

Fluke 8500A 5 digit multimeter.

When I earn enough from this job been thinking about either a used Vette or an LMR radio sevice analyzer. What the heck, perhaps use one to tote the other.

Also been thinkning of picking up a legal full auto Mac 10 with a supressor just for fun.

That's the news of the moment.
Hope all is well.
Jack Crow in Iraq

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Jack_Crow said:

Also been thinkning of picking up a legal full auto Mac 10 with a supressor just for fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the specs on a Mac 10?

(I'm mostly a revolver shooter and I don't know much about sub-machine guns).....

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
What I know about it comes from a rather positive experience using one.

One of the lady's from the crew I shoot with has such a unit. They can be had in .380, 9mm, and Melinda's was in 45ACP.

If you look at
www.irighti.org
you will find pix of the crew taking turns with it. Everybody who trys it likes it.

My guess is 300 to 400 rounds per min. So a 30 rdn stick goes quick. The range don't like it when you do a burst of more than five.. Some people don't keep the muzzle down, and tend to stich the ceeling.

The Can she had works very well.

Most of the noise was the slugs hitting the steel at the end of the range. You don't need ear protection when used in doors!

Apparently it was made during the vietnam days and it's got a spooky backround. The fact that it's a legal gun with a legal (papered) can makes it a rare thing to find.

I know, not much of an answer but it's the info that I have.

As for other guns,
This base has a feral dog problem. Some of the MP's were thinking of 'borrowing' some of the impounded weapons to take care of them. Seems Saddam and Co had a number of supressed pistols that ended up in the hands of the Army. The Army was thinking of using some to reduce the wild dogs on the base. Keep in mind I love dogs and have two back home. Those are pets, these are not. Iraqi dogs are more agressive and hungry than a domestic dog. Also since vet care is non existant in this sand box, they are prone to illness that troopers can get. It's cheaper to shoot the feral dogs than to treat injury and illness of wounded AMCITS. It's a hard to argue with kind of logic.

A full power round going off inside the base can draw a strong reaction. A suppress round nobody else would notice. execpt perhaps the shooter and the shoot-e.

It's spookey to hear shots in the night here. Or the casual sound of high explosive at 4AM. Im all in favor of supressed weapons in the hands of the MPs here.

Keep it warm
Jack Crow in Iraq

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was into guns and knives for long time but My dad used to tell me flashlights were not safe around me as a child. I could disassemble a flashlight faster than they could put them back together.I wanted to see the light source inside. I was into the long distance handguns with lots of kick to them(on the sending and receiving end).The CPF just added another aholic to my long list

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the commonality goes beyond flashlights and guns also. I sometimes see almost word for word posts on other forums such as equipped.org. I think we share a common likeness for tools and gear that includes things such as lights, guns, knives, multitools, lathes, etc. I don't have any guns here though, have a couple cheap rifles in my parents house and a really old muzzleloader my grandfather gave me, have lights, leathermans, and power tools though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Smoke, and Gene,
Greetings from the sand box.

Boys toys, that's what makes us human.

Humans are tool users.

Yeah some primates might make use of a stick for some food related reason.

We would use a stick to roast some lesser life form for food, then set up a retail operation to sell it. (went from survival to 7-11 in one large hop!)

For the moment we are on the top of the food chain.

Enjoy

Jack Crow in Iraq

Latest posts