scorpion vs surefire P60

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, I finally took some shots of some differnt lights that are about the same intensity. First we have a shot of Surefire D2 with a P61 lamp in it, then the same D2 with a P60 lamp, Streamlight Scoprion, Streamlight 4AA (pro polymer), UKE 2L, and then a Pelican Stealthlite 4AA.

The first four that used 123A's used the same new two batteries, and the 4 AA were also brand new and the same ones used in both lights.
http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/pic/123s.jpg

In the second shot it is just the Streamlight Scorpion of the left and the Surefire D2, with the P60 lamp on the right.
http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/pic/scorp-P60.jpg

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash.htm

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooohh.. Thanks. What was the distance and what was the camera setting?

It's weird to see my favorite 4AA look so bad compared to my favorite 2DL123A. The Stealthlite and the 6P.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Size15's

Flashaholic
Bright Idea Brock!

This is one of the better ways to compare flashlights without actually having them side-by-side. Infact, the best I've seen so far!

Thanks!

I myself have a StealthLite 4AA, and knowing that it's both a very tight spot and yellower than a Lithium/Xenon based flashlight, I can judge that the rest of the photos are most likely to be accurate. With that assumption (basically I'm saying I trust that Brock hasn't cheated) I think that the SureFire P60 is brighter and whiter than the Scorpoin, and that the P61 lamp has a beam of larger size which is still brighter than the Scorpion.

Remembering that the Lumens rating is the amount of light, not the beam intensity, it makes sense to me. I would like to know how the CP's are measured, and which of the 2-DL123A flashlights has the most intense beam - based on brightness and white-ness per unit area of hotspot.

Thanks again Brock!!

Alastair

P.S.
The StreamLight 4AA and the UKE 2L seem to have bluer beams...

Size15's

Flashaholic
DavidW, What do you think of your StealthLite? Have you ever had any problems with it? My two have taken a beating and lasted over two years so far.

I always wanted a rechargeable one, as it's meant to be brighter, but I'm saving for some SureFire!

Have you ever been underwater with it?

Brock

Flashaholic
Nope, no cheating on my part Alastair.
smile.gif
It always bugged me there was no real way to compare flashlights, so I thought I would try to do it myself. I have a Kodak 4800 camera and had it about 5 feet and the lights were also about 5 feet. I locked all the settings so they would remain the same for every shot. The camera was set at 100 iso, 1/45 sec exposure, tungsten color correction. You know I bet that is why you can see how some lights look a different color. In person they are all very close in color temp except the stealth. But maybe in these images you can tell the difference between the fill gasses?

Also, to me the scorpion and the P60 lamps are so close it isn't really an issue. If you didn't have them right next to one another in a dark room you wouldn't know the difference. I like each light for a different use, I would recommend either the surefire or the Streamlight.

I sort of feel bad about how the 3 "dimmer" lights came out. They are all very good lights. I really wanted to show how the surefire and streamlight had such smooth beams compare to the others. I have taken my stealth down to over 100 feet (33 meters) without any problems. The nice tight beam is a plus down there.

Brock

Bucky

Enlightened
Thanks from me too Brock for that comparison. As I do not have the UKE 2L, 4AA Streamlight or Pelican, at least not yet, and so it is nice to see how they would compare to the lights I do own.

The first picture comparing all 6, from what I have seen from my M2 and Scorpion, is right on as far as brightness. The second picture though I think might unfairly represent the output of the Scorpion compared to the P60. The P60 definitely is brighter and has a brighter center, but as I have posted previously, really not by all that much. I think the picture may mislead some people who may be thinking about their first Scorpion/6P-type light. As we have discussed, the Scorpion is relatively close, but undeniably less bright than the P60 Surefire. Obviously pictures don't lie, but maybe the overall output of the two are closer together than that picture might lead one to believe. The Scorpion certainly provides more flood or peripheral light than the P60, even when optimally focussed, which may account for the difference in the picture. Like you have said, without having the two next to each other and to some extent even then, the two are very close indeed.

For me I take my Scorpion when I will need a light indoors, or outdoors but for relatively close-up lighting. I think that the P60 and Scorpion are so close that I have pretty much retired my P60 lamp. I either choose the Scorpion for its more flood-type beam pattern or the M2 with P61 for maximum output and much better long distance lighting in the woods or along trails.

Bucky

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's good that you give loads of detail for how you took those photos. That way, reproducing them is made alot easier.
They say the camera sees strange, but the eyes see stranger.

I've only taken my StealthLite down 10m or so with snorkle, mask & flippers - one of the most amazing things I've ever done - night diving!
I MUST LEARN TO SCUBA DIVE!!!

You're right ofcourse that the 4AA flashlight has a very important role to play. I'm still an M2 fan, and may get one in about 5 weeks...

The P61 lamp is still the best I reckon even though it lacks the runtime.

Thanks Again!

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Damn I'm surprised at how weak the StealthLite looks in comparison! I would like to see similiar pictures made with the Pelican StealthLite with a tightly focused 3D Maglight- I think more people are familiar with the Maglight than most other flashlights. I'm really itching for one of those lithium lights now.

JK

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15s, the only problem I've had with the Stealthlite is getting it back after loaning it out.

I've only taken it to the bottom of the pool
grin.gif

I did buy the rechargeable lamp and installed it with fresh energizer nicads (650mAH)in a regular Stealthlite. It was brighter but not enough to make me want to buy a full blown rechargeable Stealthlite package.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Size15's

Flashaholic
I know!

Both my StealthLites went on a fieldtrip to the Grand Canyon withOUT ME!!

I'm going on the same trip in early January (Yippee!!
grin.gif
)

Thanks for the info on the rechargeable version. If I get standby flashlights for under the kitchen sink (to you lot have a torch or two there?) and the shed, they'll be the new SureFire 8NX or something.

Al.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brock,

You're going to melt those poor figurines with your SureFire 12PM!

JK

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Now that would add a great touch to the picture! Make a glob of melted plastic or wax , add the same colors as the figurines, and put it in that last shot of the SureFire 12PM!
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Wow. Some things change, other things stay the same.
I never did learn to scuba dive. The P61 still rocks. There is still a StealthLite under my parent's kitchen stink...
I wonder what became of Brock... :thinking: