Problem with Dorcy 1AAA 1LED

avusblue

Enlightened
The problem, is that every time I go to Wal-Mart I buy one, whether I need one or not (and believe me, it's always "not"). I just can't resist these sub-six dollar lights. I'll bet I've got one stashed in every possible nook and cranny of home, work, and vehicles, and I've given away a bunch of 'em too.

They almost always seem to be in stock, but never more than two or three on hand. Lately I've been partaking of the silver ones, but I went through a "blue" phase for a while. I can't warm up to the gold, and I tolerate the red. (Wish they made a black.) My family thinks I'm nuts. But oh well.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Dave

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Wal Marts either have none or a couple. Don't know why somebody doesn't catch on and order more! They always have plenty of gags though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i thought ya meant ya had a broke one i havnet saw that.and i still love mine

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wally world in Crown point IN has some... no wait, I had my father buy them out for me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sad, I know.

Jeff

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have actually resisted twice. And one time was a color that I didn't have.

Haven't stopped thinking about it though.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive been thinking of stuffing a 8mm led in one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I know what you mean. It's really tough to pass them up. I got one for myself, my son, brother, uncle, wife, and mother-in-law. And now that you mentioned it, maybe I need a couple more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LightHearted

Enlightened
I know what you mean. I walked into Wallyworld looking for something else and walked out with another one. Doh! Didn't even see it coming.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Ken

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that had 4 the other night but i was broke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
was going to put them on layaway but felt kinda odd doing that so i didnt

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally gave in and bought one the other day, because of the hype about these things around here. That, and the fact it's less than $6! The brightness is vey good. It's not as well constructed as many other 1-cell lights, but for $6, it's ok. The biggest gripe I have with it is the piece of junk tailcap/switch. This is terrible. Mine flickers unless you really twist the tailcap on hard, and if you try to use the momentary function, sometimes it stays on when you let go. If I back the tailcap off where it functions like it should, it's extremely loose and wobbly, and I bet it would let water right in. Not to mention, it would no doubt fall off the main body after bouncing around in my pocket all day. And that little wire ring to attach it to your keys? Forget it! That doesn't look durable at all. Anyway, I did a run time test on it, and I must say it did prety good. I used an Energizer battery, so I could return it with the original one if necessary. It remained bright for 7 hours, with diminishing brightness till it finally died 36 hours after the test began. It lasted a lot longer than I expected it to. All in all, I can see why everyone likes this light, but for me I don't like it because of it's lousy tailcap. I'll probably either return it or give it away.

avusblue

Enlightened
Big Ed, you should consider exchanging it, because none of mine have done that. While the tailcap is certianly not SureFire levels of smoothness or quality, all of mine have operated properly. You may want to try a different one and then decide.

Cheers,

Dave

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap/switch on all of mine have worked fine. They don't feel very sturdy, but have had no difficulties.

I resisted buying some more a month or so ago and now regret it as I've given away my last one. Time to stop at Wally World and hope they have some in stock!

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
The biggest gripe I have with it is the piece of junk tailcap/switch. This is terrible. Mine flickers unless you really twist the tailcap on hard, and if you try to use the momentary function, sometimes it stays on when you let go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big_Ed,

Of the 5 or 6 I have purchased, one of them did have something wrong with the tail cap switch. It would flicker and the button didn't seem to work right. You shouldn't have to twist the tailcap that hard. It was a silver one. I think that the anodizing on the colored ones allows the threads to turn smoother. I returned the bad one for a different one that worked fine. I always remove the little metal loop on the tailcap button. It doesn't look sturdy enough to trust, and I find that the button works better without it. If you do this, you have to take care when replacing the battery though, because the metal ring holds the button from falling out of the tail cap. No, it is definitely not a waterproof light, but remember it's $5.94! I have one that is brighter than my Infinity Ultra with a beam that is nearly as smooth. Great platform for mods too. Love this little light.

Ken

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen the 1AA 3LEDs at WalMart, but used to have the same problem with the 1AAA lights. While I still pick one up every now and then, I found a WalMart that had about 20 in stock a month or so ago. I solved my problem by getting about 14, although I sold/gave away most of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

BTW, I just found a red one (sealed in clamshell) that I would part with if anyone wants it. If so please drop me a PM.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave,
I've NEVER seen one! I live in very rural Northern Calif. near the Oregon border. I have a Walmart about 45 minutes away and two others across the border in Oregon and neither of those three have ever stocked them. Can anyone please post a picture?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Gene said:
...Can anyone please post a picture?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Gene,

Here's a picture of the Dorcy 1xAAA flashlight that I reviewed last summer:

dorcy1-1.jpg

Hope this is helpful.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what they look like in the clamshell:
fa370d0d.jpg

-Mike

EDIT: Looks the the picture isn't working... I will have to work on this tomorrow. Sorry about that.

Latest posts