Counterfeit Streamlight Microstream?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I recently ordered a second Streamlight Microstream from Amazon. When I received it, I noticed it looked a little different than my other one, and it did not include a battery nor a lanyard like my other one did. When I took it out of the packaging, it felt very cheap and the button is smooth and also feels very cheap when clicked. I will try to upload photos.

Is this a counterfeit?? I always thought Amazon was an authorized Streamlight dealer!

Thanks!

56382503-3D4D-46B5-A27C-651836D5436C_zpsy9gg6etl.jpeg

B53840EC-F474-42BF-8F0C-DABB5E1F17D0_zpsrmhtfauc.jpeg

D41E561F-EB69-47BC-9C2A-256ABD681209_zpsljq8grvi.jpeg

AB37E43C-E923-4588-834F-71694BA4CD05_zpsbkiurflr.jpeg

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Well, right off the bat the clip is all wrong. Could this be old stock?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Well, right off the bat the clip is all wrong. Could this be old stock?

That's what I thought, but it must be VERY old stock if that is the case...the other one I have is at least 6 or 7 year's old...

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Counterfeit. Google "SKYWOLFEYE Mini 1000 aaa" and look at images.

Streamlight should be told about this.

Nephron44

Enlightened

I emailed Streamlight and included the pictures. I will report back with what I find out.

elzilcho

Enlightened
Between some strange buying experiences I've had with Amazon lately and their handling of the whole issue with the eclipse glasses, I'm now extra careful about which sellers I purchase from when shopping on their site. One of the sellers I used was a verified manufacturer, and they still managed to send me the wrong product -- twice!

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's exactly the same light. I ordered a Microstream from Amazon about a month ago and received a genuine Microstream. What you received is definitely a fake.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Between some strange buying experiences I've had with Amazon lately and their handling of the whole issue with the eclipse glasses, I'm now extra careful about which sellers I purchase from when shopping on their site. One of the sellers I used was a verified manufacturer, and they still managed to send me the wrong product -- twice!

Yeah, mine was sold and shipped by Amazon, so I didn't think I would have an issue!

Spartan1980

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a ProTac 1L-1AA from Amazon and received it today. It's a counterfeit and a darn good one. The packaging and documentation is a first rate copy of the highest quality I've seen. The tip off was the light didn't ship with batteries and there was no place to insert them in the packaging. Past that most would never know to even question it unless they already had one on hand and saw differences. It's a very good fake. If not for youtube videos I'd never have been able to tell the differences in the actual light. But the differences appear to be: Belt clip is narrower but shaped and made identically, tailcap o-ring is smaller and black in color instead of orange, in the battery compartment the real ones have a spring on both ends (not this one), and there is a distinct blue hue to the light beam. Much more so than my other Streamlight stuff. It's going back just as soon as Streamlight confirms the serial number isn't any good.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a ProTac 1L-1AA from Amazon and received it today. It's a counterfeit and a darn good one. The packaging and documentation is a first rate copy of the highest quality I've seen. The tip off was the light didn't ship with batteries and there was no place to insert them in the packaging. Past that most would never know to even question it unless they already had one on hand and saw differences. It's a very good fake. If not for youtube videos I'd never have been able to tell the differences in the actual light. But the differences appear to be: Belt clip is narrower but shaped and made identically, tailcap o-ring is smaller and black in color instead of orange, in the battery compartment the real ones have a spring on both ends (not this one), and there is a distinct blue hue to the light beam. Much more so than my other Streamlight stuff. It's going back just as soon as Streamlight confirms the serial number isn't any good.

Sold by and shipped form Amazon? And right in time for the holidays. Streamlight needs to shut the door on this PDQ.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Amazon needs to shut the door.

I stopped buying anything flashlight related from Amazon in 016 due to all the fake stuff. Knowing eBay is just as bad I found a few sellers who operate legit and go through them.

Yeah, you don't get the lowest price, but the fakes are usually easy to spot because of the price. Trouble at Amazon was they flim-flammers started charging the legit prices.

skillet

Enlightened
My oldest son had sent me a link about the great deal Amazon had going on Streamlight. He showed me the light last night while we doing an electrical job last night. I thought it strange that the "momentary" function the packaging stated was not operational since it was a reverse instead of forward clicky. Thought nothing of it till I saw this thread last night. He got the counterfeit. I texted him immediately and he was fortunate enough to get a refund.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Fakes and rumors of fakes have caused me to make an end of Amazon Prime. Pretty much just stream TV shows from them now.

Me too. A few years ago my brother was ordering his Spyderco knives from amazon. Turns out 4 out of the 6 he ordered were fakes.

All my flashlight purchases and battery purchases are made from that companies web store. Yup, it costs a few bucks more but it's well worth it for me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Recently at the bay I'm looking at a brand that rhymes with PureHire and see all these out right knock offs touting that brands model number and all.... for 25% the price of the real McCoy. Parts were 10¢ on the dollar. I flipped it over to the big A channel and there they were again! Only instead of no photo and "ships from China" standing out and saying "hey uninformed guy... buy this fake for cheap", they had a stock photo and had raised the price to near the real McCoy.

I used to report fakes to Amazon who'd respond "oh, we're sorry, we do our best blah blah blah".... Now I don't hold any malice towards Amazon. Nope. Being a mega corp they cannot ensure that everything is legit 100% of the time.
But what got them so big was consumers looking for those lower prices to coincide with home delivery. It really comes down to the customer deciding to educate themselves about the items they seek and being willing to resist that "great deal".

See, it's a simple as this: If nobody buys the fakes, they'll stop selling fakes. It's a basic demand and supply thing. No demand would cause the supply to go away. At least at eBay it's clear as glass who has fakes or not. But at Amazon they have gotten away with it due to certain (easy to get around) rules meant to thwart the dupers.

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
How long does Streamlight usually take to respond to emails? I sent an email this past Tuesday (10/31) and haven't heard anything yet!