Is Fenix still alive?

IrishGreen

Newly Enlightened
As I need to find a replacement for my Streamlight Microstream I immediately thought of getting a Fenix LD02 or LD09 as I have made good experience with Fenix products for years and years. Never failed on me once.

Yet looking at their webpage leaves the impression that there hasn't been much going on recently. There seem to be little product developments these days. Seems like Fenix has had it's peak somewhere around 2014...

Is Fenix still at the edge with its products or has somebody surpassed them?

markr6

Flashaholic
You know, I was thinking the exact same things just last week! It could be the overall advancement in batteries, LEDs, etc. Lots of new crazy 1800lm pocket torches, but the rest sort of hit a ceiling for now.

At least that's how I feel.

The new TK75 looks pretty cool though! I guess there's just nowhere to go with the current line? Not worth "updating". I dunno

IrishGreen

Newly Enlightened
Interesting.

So which company is in the lead now for small (3-4 inch), tail switched, AA or AAA powered lights?

weez82

Enlightened
Every manufacturer has had it's peak as far as light advancement is concerned, imo. LEDs are so powerful and efficient that if you have a light from the last 5-7 years it's still going to hold up very well for another 5-7 years. I gifted a ld10 q5 to a friend and it's still going strong and other then max out put (which is rarely used) it holds up very well with current lights. I feel that flashlights hit there peak about 5-7 years ago. Not too much to improve upon right now until battery technology improves. Again this is all my option

iroast

Newly Enlightened
That requires a lot more research than I am capable of doing. One would need to produce a list of major flashlight manufacturers and know their sales numbers and profits in 2016. In terms of qualitative analysis, one would have to research seller ratings. Consumers can search for Amazon product ranking to see its popularity and then go deeper from there. I'm sure there are data research companies that have this information...for a price.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Interesting.

So which company is in the lead now for small (3-4 inch), tail switched, AA or AAA powered lights?

As far as mass produced and widely available lights go, I would say Surefire are the lead in quality/durability, and with their new offerings that are expected to come out soon, features are pretty awesome too.

However, they don't offer any AA or AAA lights apart from the Titan models, which are expensive for an AAA light.

For AA and AAA lights, I would say Streamlight is at the top in terms of customer service, durability, value, and availability.

Of course, these are just speculations and are only taking into account the brands that are mass produced and widely available via a brick and mortar store and popular websites instead of having to go to the manufacturer's website to order...

Im sure there are other lights that are better, but I have never seen ANYONE in my area (urban) with anything like a Malkoff or FourSevens, so as far as the lead, they just aren't popular among the average user. Around here, anyway.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened
Depends on your perspective of innovation I guess. Certainly some companies are still innovating, but ultimately from a business perspective it may not be worth it as they might view an innovative product as just a niche that is going to appeal to a small number of buyers.

As stated before, until major battery innovation comes out, the market is pretty flooded with lights now. That said, it's likely difficult to come up with something that will sell well and truly be innovative right now, but I feel there's still a lot of interesting ideas being put out.

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened
One of my favorite lights is the Fenix TK15 Ultimate Edition. Awesome quality and my current go-to flashlight.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall seeing any small aa lights in the new models, that doesn't mean the companies in trouble

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Interesting variety of thoughts here.

It seems that the "ground breaking" lights in general are leveling off and the industry is instead placing their efforts on fuel options, tints and enjoying the sales of previous efforts.

I agree it's the battery holding things back right now. Between 2014 and 2017 things progressed so rapidly that it was just a matter of time before the advances began to level off.

Another thing I've noticed in the 2nd half of 017 is the quest for the brightest ever has begun to slow way down while quests for runtime and tint improvements have not.

While not a big watcher of Fenix, I've never seen them as pioneers in general like some other companies. It seems that Fenix improves on already good ideas instead. So while things have seemingly reached a plateu for now, perhaps Fenix is quietly going about business of improving their already succesful lineup.

Enlightened
As I need to find a replacement for my Streamlight Microstream I immediately thought of getting a Fenix LD02 or LD09 as I have made good experience with Fenix products for years and years. Never failed on me once. Yet looking at their webpage leaves the impression that there hasn't been much going on recently. There seem to be little product developments these days. Seems like Fenix has had it's peak somewhere around 2014... Is Fenix still at the edge with its products or has somebody surpassed them?
They've been releasing a lot of lanterns the past few years. I even have some of them.

wjv

Enlightened
One of my favorite lights is the Fenix TK15 Ultimate Edition. Awesome quality and my current go-to flashlight.

I bought one to replace my TK15 (R5 - 337 lumen) version.
It is a really nice light with good throw, good tint, good run times, and a nice selection of modes.
The strobe is hidden so you don't have to deal with a disco light if you don't want it.

The PD 25 & 32 series of lights are also good.

But I have a hard time finding anything better than my Olight SR52ut for a compact thrower at a good price point.

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
Fenix is still vibrant in the lighting tool industry, in FB/IG and Twitter. You can try to search the brand for updated information.
Every company and even every industry reach the peak at some particular time. Then they need to slow down for better updation, I guess.
We should be hopeful of next revolution, like I always do.:nana:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it has been a while since Fenix helped bring the CREE XR-E to the market with a lot of help from David Chow before 4Sevens and Olight. I haven't bought much from Fenix in a long time but I remember when the P2D/P3D were the "it" lights. It seems like Fenix has moved into the mainstream providing lights aimed at the Outdoor market more so than providing the latest cutting edge performance. There are B&M stores that carry the Fenix line-up now so you can get them without resorting to mail order. Since they have a wider customer base with loyal followers they don't face the same pressure as lesser known brands to be at the pinnacle of technology.Honestly they do seem to have a very capable line-up even if they are not turning heads on CPF these days.

Last edited:

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Fenix LD22 a couple years back when I became interested in an EDC 2x AA-powered light. It has become one of my favorites, and I find myself using it more than any of my other lights. Despite being a Malkoff junkie, if I was buying another light today, there's a good possibility it would be another Fenix LD22.