Longest Throw Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
Hi, all!

I haven't been on here for several years, but the last time I was on here I got such great advice that I came back for some more.

My previous flashlight, an Olight MX3 Triton just quit working. I inserted my freshly-charged batteries and the light will no longer turn on. It was always finicky in that you had to have the handle tightened just right to get everything to work, and it won't turn on anymore regardless of how the handle is put on. So, not being a flashlight expert by any means, and being spoiled by how awesome my Olight was (other than having to turn the handle just right to get it to work and the fact that there is no way to get a hold of Olight for customer service) I was wondering if any of you in the know could recommend me a flashlight with similar or better throw than my Olight had. I went back and looked up the specs on it, which were 1200 LM and a throw of 580m. I have been looking up lights and reading forums, but it seems like there isn't much consensus. I already have the 18650 batteries, so I would like to stay with something that uses those. Lastly, I'd like to stay under $250.

Any advice for an out-of-the-loop guy in need of an awesome long-throw flashlight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

torchsarecool

Enlightened
The acebeam t21vn from skylumen is the same 2 x 18650 form of your olight.
900 lumens and 1414 metres of throw. Excellent quality and great value

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys! I'll look into both! I'm just nervous about going back to Olight. I keep reading about quality issues.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
You can check out the group buy thread on budgetlightforums.com. Has anyone offered to fix it yet? There is someone that was selling modded versions of your light

Ive tried getting in touch with an Olight customer service phone number I found online, but it just gave an email address. I sent a message to it several weeks ago and got no response.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
MF02 is waaay below specs. Under 500 kcd instead of 720. Which is like 1400m. Still good for the money though.

It sounds like these are all over the abilities of my Olight MX3 Triton, though. That light has always blown me away, but it sounds like I had no idea of what's out there! I'm looking for quality and good, powerful distance. I love the idea of the BLF, but it almost sounds like they are being made by people in their spare time? Am I understanding that wrongly? Are they a reputable business? I am just not finding any main website of where to buy them.

Agpp

Enlightened
It sounds like these are all over the abilities of my Olight MX3 Triton, though. That light has always blown me away, but it sounds like I had no idea of what's out there! I'm looking for quality and good, powerful distance. I love the idea of the BLF, but it almost sounds like they are being made by people in their spare time? Am I understanding that wrongly? Are they a reputable business? I am just not finding any main website of where to buy them.

BLF is not business. It's a group of enthusiasts. Their flashlights, GT included, are designed by forum members in cooperation with good manufacturers. GT is done by Lumintop. It is at the prototype stage, so you can't buy it. There is a pre-order on the BLF, though I don't know if it's open. If it is, you can expect it to offer the best price.

hatman

Enlightened
I don't know about longest throw but I'm very impressed with my new Emisar D1.

At $40 and with ramping UI it's a steal. Add $2 for a so-so clip.

My other lights are mostly floody so I can't really compare. But the D1 is a winner.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
BLF is not business. It's a group of enthusiasts. Their flashlights, GT included, are designed by forum members in cooperation with good manufacturers. GT is done by Lumintop. It is at the prototype stage, so you can't buy it. There is a pre-order on the BLF, though I don't know if it's open. If it is, you can expect it to offer the best price.
"second round" pre orders are open, the list is at 1126 people at last check for a $150 pre order (555 people got it pre ordered for $111). No expected delivery date yet...

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
"second round" pre orders are open, the list is at 1126 people at last check for a $150 pre order (555 people got it pre ordered for $111). No expected delivery date yet...

That light sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait until there are some more concrete details and dates.

Enderman

Enlightened
For anyone interested in non-retail flashlights, here is a list of the farthest throwing ones in the world:
Og18wLj.png

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55467

The BLF GT isn't on there yet, but at 1.29Mcd it would be #26 in the world.
The next best (for retail LED lights) is the TN42 with approx 750Kcd.

If you want to include all retail flashlights, not just LED, then the Maxabeam is still #1.

Enderman

Enlightened
The Lance of Ra is over 2.5Mcd, and over 3000m.
Yup, this is currently the farthest throwing "production" LED light ^^
Not very high quality like a real flashlight manufacturer like lumintop or nitecore or whatever, since it literally is just a host with a giant 3d printed plastic head, and a high price, but their goal is just performance.

chumley

Enlightened
runnikee the Olight repair center is located in Going Gear's building in Smyrna Georgia. Maybe calling Going Gear can help you contact Olght for service. If you want better throw than your M3x check out the OLight SR52ut, it has great throw in a compact light.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
That light sounds awesome, but I think I'll wait until there are some more concrete details and dates.

There is a video review with a working prototype. Search BLF GT. It will probably be available as a production light after the group buy but for a higher price.

runnikee

Newly Enlightened
runnikee the Olight repair center is located in Going Gear's building in Smyrna Georgia. Maybe calling Going Gear can help you contact Olght for service. If you want better throw than your M3x check out the OLight SR52ut, it has great throw in a compact light.

Thanks, Chum! I'll contact them and definitely check out the SR52ut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts