Klarus XT12GT

Do you experience QC issues with your XT12GT?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Unsure...IDK...

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It was DOA or within a month

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Wondering what is so special about the klarus 3600mAh (Max Continuous Discharge: 7A) battery that comes with this light, which is needed to get the highest output mode to work.

I bought orbtronic brand 3500mAh (Max cont. discharge: 10A), which most likely uses the NCR18650GA battery made by panasonic sanyo, and the high mode will not engage.

Is it the protective circuits are different and somehow play a part? I'm missing something, can't figure it out :thinking:

Any assistance is appreciated :thumbsup:

To note: I have two of the klarus xt12gt and even with the klarus 3600 mAh they both have some issue with down stepping from the highest mode at random within a second of being turned on...one does it all the time and the other super rarely...seen other people mention this online. The one which it happens to all the time will also occasionally go dead and I have to unclick and click the switch to get it working again. They both appear to have QC issues, but IDK if its the batteries, protection or flashlights! :ohgeez: I've played around for sometime with different batteries and only the klarus 3600mAh engage the highest mode...:sick2: If a battery rated for 7A discharge can engage the high mode, why not one rated at 10A?

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all,

Wondering what is so special about the klarus 3600mAh (Max Continuous Discharge: 7A) battery that comes with this light, which is needed to get the highest output mode to work.

I bought orbtronic brand 3500mAh (Max cont. discharge: 10A), which most likely uses the NCR18650GA battery made by panasonic sanyo, and the high mode will not engage.

Is it the protective circuits are different and somehow play a part? I'm missing something, can't figure it out :thinking:

Any assistance is appreciated[emoji106]

To note: I have two of the klarus xt12gt and even with the klarus 3600 mAh they both have some issue with down stepping from the highest mode at random within a second of being turned on...one does it all the time and the other super rarely...seen other people mention this online. The one which it happens to all the time will also occasionally go dead and I have to unclick and click the switch to get it working again. They both appear to have QC issues, but IDK if its the batteries, protection or flashlights! :ohgeez: I've played around for sometime with different batteries and only the klarus 3600mAh engage the highest mode...:sick2: If a battery rated for 7A discharge can engage the high mode, why not one rated at 10A?
As for the 1s step down, you likely need to tighten the tail cap more. Yes, REALLY tighten it. Let me know if that corrects it.

As for the battery, any protected Sanyo GA cell will give you enough current, regardless who wraps and brands it. But the venerable Panasonic NCR-B cells will not cut it.

You can also go the unprotected route; they work fine. I reviewed the light recently and found about 15 more lumen using the LG HG2 unprotected cell.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/5132823 (scroll down a bit to get to the tests)

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
I tried "really" tightening down the tailcap and it now appears to be working. thanks! I had tried already what I thought was a reasonable tightening of the internal tailcap piece and tailcap itself, but evidently it wasn't enough.

The high mode is still only working on the klarus 3600mAh wrapped batteries though; I don't understand why the x4 orbtronic 3500mAh 10A wrapped sanyo panasonic GA is not engaging the high mode...10A discharge should be sufficient if 7A is.

I did have two of those brown wrapped LG HG2 3000mAh 20A ($4.99 each) and they were getting the high mode to work, albeit disengaging within a second due to the tailcap...I had bought them for a friend's vaper and gifted them the day after I received them.

thanks again!!

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
Well...hate to say it, but took the xt12gt to work last night and it was doing the step down within a second...appears even tightening the tailcap with super human strength didn't solve the issue...QC? issue...

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...hate to say it, but took the xt12gt to work last night and it was doing the step down within a second...appears even tightening the tailcap with super human strength didn't solve the issue...QC? issue...
You can message klight on here for customer service if you don't get it any other way.

That said, you mentioned that you had tightened the internal tail cap piece already. You may need to back it out a bit.
Not this model in particular, but I have seen lights where tightening the internal retaining ring all the way actually keeps it from making good contact.
As this light steps down when the connection isn't ideal, that's my final guess.

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
You can message klight on here for customer service if you don't get it any other way.

That said, you mentioned that you had tightened the internal tail cap piece already. You may need to back it out a bit.
Not this model in particular, but I have seen lights where tightening the internal retaining ring all the way actually keeps it from making good contact.
As this light steps down when the connection isn't ideal, that's my final guess.

Alright, I'll give that a try. :thumbsup:

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
I own an XT12GT and haven't used it much until last night. I'm not having any step-down issues, but it did do something odd last night. I was using it to look down a hill and cycling through the different outputs in the Outdoor Setting. All of a sudden, it just cut out. Keep in mind the original Klarus battery in it was fully charged. After it cut out, it wouldn't turn on from either of the buttons. I then loosened and removed the tail cap. When the spring of the tail cap came back in contact with the battery, it lit up again and then it turned off. After I tightened the tail cap, it worked fine again. I then carried it around for the night hike, cycling through the modes and it worked flawlessly since.

Another odd thing I noticed is the very slight humming it makes in High mode. I've read others talking about this too with their XT12GT's. Cycling through the modes, it only hums on High. It's silent in other modes including Turbo.

I really like my XT12GT and it's the best thrower in my collection. I hope there aren't issues with this flashlight that compromises reliability as I'd like to consider it something I can count on. I also wonder if the newer XT12 models have any issues.

Chad Varnadore

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the XT12GT routinely for about 9 months and have started having a couple minor issues. It's all been very light use, mind you, grabbing it for little things I go outside for at night. About the longest I've ever had it on was during a 30 minute hike in the woods. Usually it's not used for more than a few minutes at a time. It's never been dropped and still looks like it could have just been unpackaged. After several months of use I started noticing an ever so slight flicker immediately after turning it on that would only last a few seconds. No big deal other than worry about premature bulb failure.
But last week, the switch started acting up. Every time I turn it on for the first time after not using it for a while, the mode switch seems to be stuck in turbo. Clicking the mode switch won't change the output level until you turn off the light and back on again every, every time I've used it for the past week. Sometimes it sticks after it's been on for a while too, especially if you click it too quickly.
I was going to let the flicker go, as it hasn't gotten any worse over the last 6 months or so. But now I'll have to contact Klarus about the switch issue before the warranty expires. I don't need another $100 paperweight.

BTW, what's wrong with this forum? I had to type this in a notepad and paste it. Something about the quick-reply field was unusably out of whack.