Interesting Functions to add to a Lantern?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a couple of lanterns at a garage sale, thought I'd spruce them up and donate them to local scout troop. Any suggestions for fun/useful functions I might add while I've got them on the bench?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ability to jump start a car or mp3 player

Jump starting a car, unless it's a hybrid, would require probably a twenty pound battery, which is a bit much for a kid to tote around. A USB charging port might be doable.

Keitho

Enlightened
Battery vent hole maybe? A little volt meter to tell you real time voltage? Mini thermometer or thermocouple for temp? Secondary red led for preserving night vision? Not sure how much spare volume you're working with; if you have a bit, you could add a boost circuit and a dongle to charge a laptop.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how much spare volume you're working with; if you have a bit, you could add a boost circuit and a dongle to charge a laptop.

Lot of empty space inside the housings. If these were 12 volt units it would be easy to wire in a car type 12V to USB attachment, but they're both 6 volt, and I don't have a source for a six V. DC to USB attachment.