Jetbeam        
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* kosPap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Naoussa Greece
    Posts
    2,870

    Default one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    in collaboration with Haley Strategic Partners

    http://soldiersystems.net/2017/11/05...ion-d3ft-light

  2. #2

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    I donít understand the design...if that ring is supposed to be used like the G2z Combatlight, I would rather have the G2z...this one just looks uncomfortable to use. Not to mention it looks like it would be horribly awkward in the pocket :/

    Maybe Iím just picky, or donít understand the concept, but there are many other Surefire, new and old, that I would rather have before this one...

  3. #3

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    I think the group ring can move anywhere on the body, whoever handled it last just moved it to the head. That's my theory at least...

  4. #4

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Quote Originally Posted by mk2rocco View Post
    I think the group ring can move anywhere on the body, whoever handled it last just moved it to the head. That's my theory at least...
    Hopefully....however, the article does say at the bottom that the clip is held down by the ring, which I interpret as the clip is attached to the light via the ring, which would make it difficult, if not impossible, to move :/

    Weíll have to wait and see!

  5. #5

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Looks like my theory is incorrect. I think the ring and clip are part of the head? I have no clue.

  6. #6

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Iíll say it again, I just donít see how this light would be easy/comfortable to carry in a pocket. As for belt carry, good luck finding a decent pouch to carry it in with the ring being so close to the head. It would either have to be carried bezel up or one would have to have a pouch custom made.


    I really want to hear instances in which this light would excel compared to others that are similar...anyone?

    I just feel that I can think of a better light for any use I can come up with.

  7. #7

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    hmm, I think I'll wait for the EDCL1-T.

  8. #8

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    The article says that this light is intended for the Surefire grip. I think the ring has to be that far up to allow for a good fit in the hand. Pushing the ring back any farther might make it difficult. I believe the ring is fixed up front. This doesnt seem good for pocket carry or any grip besides the Surefire grip.
    Last edited by EricJames; 11-09-2017 at 08:38 PM.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* Eric242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    [-Mad in Germany-]
    Posts
    2,739

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Firefly technique? The head looks indeed pretty strange with that ring.

    Eric
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested


  10. #10
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    cali.
    Posts
    3,849

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Streamlight had a ring just like that. It attached to a Strion. It's supposed to stabilize the light between the first two fingers (cigar grip) and the palm of the hand/base of the thumb is flexed to activate the light.
    There's more to a light than its output.

    CPF Member 13...

  11. #11

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Streamlight had a ring just like that. It attached to a Strion. It's supposed to stabilize the light between the first two fingers (cigar grip) and the palm of the hand/base of the thumb is flexed to activate the light.
    But at least the ring that was made for the Strion could be placed anywhere along the barrel so you could set it up to fit your hand how you like it...

  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,462

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Did anyone get one of these yet? How do you like it?
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-04-2019 at 12:15 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Did anyone get one of these yet? How do you like it?
    I got one today. I like it. It's definitely different. Bright and white. I'm a fan of the click switch, which this has. Only reason I haven't bought an edcl1 is the switch. Need to know if they're interchangeable. The one I got was perfect except for the edge of the tailcap. Notice the picture in mrkrocco's post. The clip and lanyard set up tear the anodize up. It feels comfortable in my hand. Dual output would have been nice. It's really more of a novelty than a tool. Pretty expensive for a toy, but I like it. As far as construction goes, it's 4 pcs. plus the clip. The head, the grip ring and the body all come apart. The clip is sandwiched between the ring and the body all the way around. Then the head screws on top. Like I said, 'definitely different'.
    I just pulled it apart. The grip ring and clip are removable. Then put the head back on. Fits in your pocket now..
    Steve in L.A.
    Last edited by cody12; 03-05-2019 at 04:00 AM.

  14. #14
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,462

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Quote Originally Posted by cody12 View Post
    I got one today. I like it. It's definitely different. Bright and white. I'm a fan of the click switch, which this has. Only reason I haven't bought an edcl1 is the switch. Need to know if they're interchangeable. The one I got was perfect except for the edge of the tailcap. Notice the picture in mrkrocco's post. The clip and lanyard set up tear the anodize up. It feels comfortable in my hand. Dual output would have been nice. It's really more of a novelty than a tool. Pretty expensive for a toy, but I like it. As far as construction goes, it's 4 pcs. plus the clip. The head, the grip ring and the body all come apart. The clip is sandwiched between the ring and the body all the way around. Then the head screws on top. Like I said, 'definitely different'.
    I just pulled it apart. The grip ring and clip are removable. Then put the head back on. Fits in your pocket now..
    Steve in L.A.
    Thanks for all the info Steve👍. Any chance you could post a pic of it with the grip ring and clip removed?

  15. #15

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    [QUOTE=cody12;5289948]I got one today. I like it. It's definitely different. Bright and white. I'm a fan of the click switch, which this has. Only reason I haven't bought an edcl1 is the switch. Need to know if they're interchangeable. The one I got was perfect except for the edge of the tailcap. Notice the picture in mrkrocco's post. The clip and lanyard set up tear the anodize up. It feels comfortable in my hand. Dual output would have been nice. It's really more of a novelty than a tool. Pretty expensive for a toy, but I like it. As far as construction goes, it's 4 pcs. plus the clip. The head, the grip ring and the body all come apart. The clip is sandwiched between the ring and the body all the way around. Then the head screws on top. Like I said, 'definitely different'.
    I just pulled it apart. The grip ring and clip are removable. Then put the head back on. Fits in your pocket now..
    Steve in L.A.[/QUOTE
    While I had it apart, I grabbed a black E1e and, you guessed it, lego time.The D3FT head fits perfectly! Of all the times not to have camera privileges. Need to do that in the morning. Haven't got around to it since they changed the protocol. Used to post pictures easily. Could this be the same head as the edcl1?! Hmmmm
    Steve

  16. #16
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,462

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Quote Originally Posted by cody12 View Post
    While I had it apart, I grabbed a black E1e and, you guessed it, lego time.The D3FT head fits perfectly! Of all the times not to have camera privileges. Need to do that in the morning. Haven't got around to it since they changed the protocol. Used to post pictures easily. Could this be the same head as the edcl1?! Hmmmm
    Steve
    Nice! Yeah, most E-Series parts are compatible but, there are some exceptions.

    You can just use a file hosting site like imgur to post images.

    It may be the same head. If I get a D3FT I will compare them as I already have the EDCL1-T.

  17. #17
    Unenlightened Infinite01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Good to know, I have an EDCL2 and I dislike the twist cap. Will look into an E series tail light. Thanks, guys!

  18. #18

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite01 View Post
    Good to know, I have an EDCL2 and I dislike the twist cap. Will look into an E series tail light. Thanks, guys!
    Youíll need to find the longer e series cap from the EB1/EB2. Regular e series caps donít fit the edc2-lt.

  19. #19
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,462

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    [QUOTE=cody12;5289996]
    Quote Originally Posted by cody12 View Post
    I got one today. I like it. It's definitely different. Bright and white. I'm a fan of the click switch, which this has. Only reason I haven't bought an edcl1 is the switch. Need to know if they're interchangeable. The one I got was perfect except for the edge of the tailcap. Notice the picture in mrkrocco's post. The clip and lanyard set up tear the anodize up. It feels comfortable in my hand. Dual output would have been nice. It's really more of a novelty than a tool. Pretty expensive for a toy, but I like it. As far as construction goes, it's 4 pcs. plus the clip. The head, the grip ring and the body all come apart. The clip is sandwiched between the ring and the body all the way around. Then the head screws on top. Like I said, 'definitely different'.
    I just pulled it apart. The grip ring and clip are removable. Then put the head back on. Fits in your pocket now..
    Steve in L.A.[/QUOTE
    While I had it apart, I grabbed a black E1e and, you guessed it, lego time.The D3FT head fits perfectly! Of all the times not to have camera privileges. Need to do that in the morning. Haven't got around to it since they changed the protocol. Used to post pictures easily. Could this be the same head as the edcl1?! Hmmmm
    Steve
    We're you able to figure out how to post images Cody? I am still really interested in seeing a pic of the D3FT with the clip and grip ring removed. Thanks👍.

  20. #20

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    looks ridiculous

  21. #21

    Default Re: one more New Surefire Light - the D3FT

    I've bought other lights from the guys over at Haley Strategic. They're for real, and know what they're doing. Though I don't own the D3FT. The issue is that the grip ring is metal and quite narrow. I think they missed the target with this one. Only way to access the light so that it's in the proper grip would be to clip it to the outside of a pants pocket, which I don't think is very pragmatic. Or, turn one's wrist 180 degrees when reaching into the pocket and pull it out by grasping the grip ring. Again, not pragmatic.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •