Streamlight 2L-X vs. Surefire EB2...Thoughts?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I decided to go with a brighter light as a back up light while on duty (currently using a Streamlight 2L as backup). I have a Streamlight 2L-X, and the 500 lumens is a big step up from the 350 lumens of the original 2L. I also really like the option of the rechargeable 18650 battery for duty use. For these reasons, I am moving the 2L-X out of my EDC rotation and into my duty lineup.

I'm looking for an EDC replacement for the 2L-X, and I am considering either another 2L-X or the Surefire EB2. As an EDC, the rechargeable isn't as important as a streamlined profile with a decent beam and runtime. I know it's silly to spend so much on an EB2 since I already know I like the 2L-X, but I figured I have an opportunity to treat myself, so I thought I might try something different.

Here are my thoughts on the pros of each light over the other:

2L-X
-Slightly shorter
-Slightly smaller head diameter
-Knurling on barrel and tailcap
-Easily replaceable pocket clip
-Slightly longer high run time
-Cheaper
-Strobe option

EB2
-Slightly slimmer barrel
-A slightly higher ride in the pocket (easier to grab out of the pocket)
-Slightly higher output (600 lumens according to Surefire's website)
-Built in the USA
-Has the Surefire name behind it

Both
-Lifetime warranty
-Decent build quality and durability
-Usable low mode

I am hoping someone can provide an opinion on either light, or both, to help me decide if it is worth it to upgrade to the EB2, or if I should stick with the 2L-X.

Thanks in advance!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The "E" are very throwy by nature. So if you like a beam that has a fairly narrow focal point but throws like it was fired from a rifle, you'll love that one. Oh, there's plenty of spill to guide your path, but the beam is kinda like cop lights from the 70's instead of todays modern lights that light a given area not unlike a street light.

arKmm

Enlightened
Have you seen the soon to be released Surefire Tactician? Would be good as an EDC alongside a sidearm, in fact that's specifically what it's been designed for ;)

Nephron44

Enlightened
Have you seen the soon to be released Surefire Tactician? Would be good as an EDC alongside a sidearm, in fact that's specifically what it's been designed for ;)

I looked at the tactician, and my mouth was watering...until I saw it has a MaxVision beam and the clip is only bezel up. Two things I really don't care for :/

Last edited:

Nephron44

Enlightened
What sort of beam profile would you prefer?

I like a decent throw with enough spill to see the peripherals; the MaxVision beam profile is too much spill and not enough throw for me.

I have no reason for liking more throw apart from my habit of checking locations from a distance at night before I approach, such as the dumpster or my car in the parking lot. I live in an apartment that isn't in a bad part of town, but it's near a park that can be sketchy at night, and sometimes suspicious people wander onto our complex.

I have ways of defending myself, but if I can see a threat before I get to it and can avoid it altogether, then that's the way to go!

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The official successor of the EB2 is the EDCL2-T, it has more lumens (1200) and costs less :) (MSRP is $179). Surefire hasn't started shipping yet - but this should anytime now.

Nephron44

Enlightened
The official successor of the EB2 is the EDCL2-T, it has more lumens (1200) and costs less :) (MSRP is $179). Surefire hasn't started shipping yet - but this should anytime now.

1200 is waaaayyyy too much, especially since it will probably come at a cost of runtime. I also heard that it will have the "throttle" tailcap where the linen output changes depending on how hard you press...I don't like that.

And back to the original question...is it worth the 179 dollar price tag compared to the 2L-X that can be found for 40 dollars at some places with a coupon code?

free2game

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the tactician, and my mouth was watering...until I saw it has a MaxVision beam and the clip is only bezel up. Two things I really don't care for :/
The Maxvision beam looks to be different than the one one the sidekick and titan. It's a larger reflector and the leaked spec sheet lists it as 10k candela which is some really nice throw. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't final though, imagine it'll be more like 6k which is still pretty usable.

free2game

Newly Enlightened
1200 is waaaayyyy too much, especially since it will probably come at a cost of runtime. I also heard that it will have the "throttle" tailcap where the linen output changes depending on how hard you press...I don't like that.
And back to the original question...is it worth the 179 dollar price tag compared to the 2L-X that can be found for 40 dollars at some places with a coupon code?

It's likely to street for less than $150, MSRPs are never street prices. You can find Scout lights online for $189 when they "MSRP" for $300. It also really depends on your value system. The durability and build quality will be higher, is that worth paying a lot more to you? If it's a light duty utility light, probably not worth it. Also the lumens thing really depends, if it's something like a 40k candela light, then it's probably too bright, if they have a new larger LED and new optic optimized for it that gives the same throw as the old M600 style lights at around 20k, but with a wider hotspot, it'll be perfect IMO.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a decent throw with enough spill to see the peripherals; the MaxVision beam profile is too much spill and not enough throw for me.

I have no reason for liking more throw apart from my habit of checking locations from a distance at night before I approach, such as the dumpster or my car in the parking lot. I live in an apartment that isn't in a bad part of town, but it's near a park that can be sketchy at night, and sometimes suspicious people wander onto our complex.

I have ways of defending myself, but if I can see a threat before I get to it and can avoid it altogether, then that's the way to go!

Understandable. I, too, prefer a punchy hot spot with good peripherals. Still, I'm excited by the new SF products.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight has some HL lights that have a nice conical beam not unlike early LED Stingers. Not being familiar with the 2L-X I can only compare my ProTac HL to an EB1C.

The EB1 seems meant to throw a blinding light in a narrow area with plenty of gentle spill to light your way much like a Maglite focused to spot (if you are familar with that). The EB2 is a brighter version of the EB1 I have.

Looking at what Streamlight info shows the beam pattern I'd speculate you'd find the SureFire appears to be light from a snoot compared to what you are used to.

I really think you'd end up liking the beam of the ProTac 2L-X over the SureFire being you are used to it. The Streamlight can do high only, or low/hi as well as factory. And the dual fuel makes it very much like a viable backup to a Stinger LED in my view.
I like the beam of my ProTac 1L for general purpose, but for specifically blinding a perp at a distance that E beam is hard to beat.

Sounds like a coin toss is in order bro.