ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Smallest flashlight I could make...

Default The Smallest flashlight I could make...

This is something I've been meaning to share for a little while. I've always had an issue to put this in the right surrounding so it shows how incredibly tiny this light is. It features a Nichia 219B emitter in the front, with the ceramic base filed off, so it would have a smaller footprint. The front is protected by a 5mm mineral glass. It works with 3 SR416SW high drain silver oxide battery, which is able to provide enough current for this light to emit about 4-5 lumens for about 1 minute. It has no practical uses, I have only made it to see, what's the smallest I could make. It was all made on a manual lathe, which I'm not sure I could replicate again. The exact size is 6.6mm x 15.1mm (0.26" x 0.59") You can see more pictures under this post as well as on my Flickr HERE:

Flashaholic

Default Re: The Smallest flashlight I could make...

Super sweet! I love anything made from scratch, even if its not entirely practical. This is superb creativity and engineering!! Bravo to you sir, Bravo!!!!

Great pics too!

Great Fun! Thanks for showing us. Love the photos.

Amazing.................truly amazing!

That’s so cool!!

Outstanding!

[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji41]

Fantastic!! Makes the tiny Nucleus look huge! Way to go. I’ll take it!! ...I know wishful thinking, but I would love to add one to my collection. More as a tribute to what can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by GRAY LITNIN View Post
    Super sweet! I love anything made from scratch, even if its not entirely practical. This is superb creativity and engineering!! Bravo to you sir, Bravo!!!!

Thank you, your kind words are truly appreciated:-)

Great pics too!

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Great Fun! Thanks for showing us. Love the photos.
    Thank you, I spend quite a bit of time on the photos, I think it's crucial showing off your work the right way...

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Amazing.................truly amazing!
    Thank you Ven, there will be other really cool concepts done in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronc6901 View Post
    That’s so cool!!
    Thank you!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by U2v5 View Post
    Outstanding!

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji41]
    Thanks!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by egginator1 View Post
    Fantastic!! Makes the tiny Nucleus look huge! Way to go. I’ll take it!! ...I know wishful thinking, but I would love to add one to my collection. More as a tribute to what can be done!
    Thank you Mike, your input and kind words are always appreciated!:-) I have no plans to make any more, but if I ever go crazy, and decide to make a very limited run, I'll be sure to let you know:-)

l

Spot or flood?

Flashaholic

Love this super tiny one George! is cute a word for a flashlight?! Now it is. And I though the Nucleus was small

Quote Originally Posted by George7806 View Post
    This is something I've been meaning to share for a little while. I've always had an issue to put this in the right surrounding so it shows how incredibly tiny this light is. It features a Nichia 219B emitter in the front, with the ceramic base filed off, so it would have a smaller footprint. The front is protected by a 5mm mineral glass. It works with 3 SR416SW high drain silver oxide battery, which is able to provide enough current for this light to emit about 4-5 lumens for about 1 minute. It has no practical uses, I have only made it to see, what's the smallest I could make. It was all made on a manual lathe, which I'm not sure I could replicate again. The exact size is 6.6mm x 15.1mm (0.26" x 0.59") You can see more pictures under this post as well as on my Flickr HERE:

As I have come to expect, brilliant as any post from you, Sir George. Your meticulous attention to detail is always on point. Ill bet that even in those few minutes of run time, you get the most satisfying OOooo’os and Aaahhhhh’s. It must be something when you tell any spectator that you made it. Congrats.

You sir, are truly a master craftsman. :hatsoff

Rolleye11 Re: The Smallest flashlight I could make...

There's just no stopping your creativity. Just one problem, I can't decide which museum this light should go to. Either the flashlight pavilion at the world famous "Saw Mill Inn", owned by CPF's most prestigious member run4jc or should it really reside in a more public forum, say the "Smithsonian Institution's The History Of Custom Built Led Illumination Tools In Contemporary Western Culture Exhibit"? I guess the only equitable way to decide, is to get the 2 museum directors together and let the bidding war begin! It just goes to show how much progress we have made in only a few years time. Flashlights have finally gone mainstream, and we collectors can finally come out of the closet, and take our rightful place in society , without fear of ridicule or shame. I for one am a proud custom flashlight owner, how about you?
    Please make more lights for us your humble fans,
    Zandar
    Last edited by Zandar; 11-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.

No reflector, so it is rather floody...but does it even matter?:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_McE View Post
    Spot or flood?

Thank you Ann:-) The Nucleus is still small though, but this one is really tiny:-)

Quote Originally Posted by phosphor22 View Post
    Love this super tiny one George! is cute a word for a flashlight?! Now it is. And I though the Nucleus was small

Thank you for those mighty words, I really appreciate it! I would be happy to show it off, but I'm a little worried about losing it, so it is normally staying home...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by ScapegoatUmi View Post
    As I have come to expect, brilliant as any post from you, Sir George. Your meticulous attention to detail is always on point. Ill bet that even in those few minutes of run time, you get the most satisfying OOooo’os and Aaahhhhh’s. It must be something when you tell any spectator that you made it. Congrats.

You sir, are truly a master craftsman. :hatsoff

Thank you Zandar, it's a great feeling, when your passion is appreciated by others. I've tried looking up Saw Mill Inn, but couldn't find much in connection with flashlights. Is there a small collection on display there? Anyways, to respond to your question, I am too a proud custom flashlight owner, regardless of what anyone thinks about this great hobby. As far as making more light, a few things have to fall in place, but if all goes well, the 10180 light will be completed in 3 weeks. I will make an announcement, once I have everything needed. Cheers!:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    There's just no stopping your creativity. Just one problem, I can't decide which museum this light should go to. Either the flashlight pavilion at the world famous "Saw Mill Inn", owned by CPF's most prestigious member run4jc or should it really reside in a more public forum, say the "Smithsonian Institution's The History Of Custom Built Led Illumination Tools In Contemporary Western Culture Exhibit"? I guess the only equitable way to decide, is to get the 2 museum directors together and let the bidding war begin! It just goes to show how much progress we have made in only a few years time. Flashlights have finally gone mainstream, and we collectors can finally come out of the closet, and take our rightful place in society , without fear of ridicule or shame. I for one am a proud custom flashlight owner, how about you?
    Please make more lights for us your humble fans,
    Zandar

Popcorn Re: The Smallest flashlight I could make...

Great to hear, I too am looking forward to the fabled 10180 light. If only I wasn't making soo many grammatical errors today. That's at least 3 in one sentence.

Banned

Great job. That is amazing you could make it that tiny!

15.1mm = 19/32"/.59"!!! Not even 6/10 of an inch!

Every day, I'm getting one step closer of having all components on hand. Making the first batch of a new light, making me excited and nervous at the same time...but that never deters me from coming up with new designs:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    Great to hear, I too am looking forward to the fabled 10180 light. If only I wasn't making soo many grammatical errors today. That's at least 3 in one sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    Great job. That is amazing you could make it that tiny!

15.1mm = 19/32"/.59"!!! Not even 6/10 of an inch!
    Thank you Capolini, it was one of these builds, that I wasn't sure, if it will happen, but it is tiny, and I don't think I could make it any smaller...maybe a little:-)

Banned

Default The Smallest flashlight I could make...

That's pure awesomeness [emoji7]
    Price?

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    That's pure awesomeness [emoji7]
    Price?
    Thank you! It isn't priced, as it's not for sale, nor I'm looking to make any more of it.

That's really amazing, I like the fact that you grinded down the emitter so you can have a shorter length :-D.
    My Lights (current EDC: Foursevens Mini MkII Titanium)

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    That's really amazing, I like the fact that you grinded down the emitter so you can have a shorter length :-D.
    Thanks Rayman, I tried to make sure, I go with the bare minimum with every components, with enough left to make comnections...

Flashaholic*

I am really glad that you posted these images - in an enlarged way. If it were life size, I could never see it well enough to appreciate what you have accomplished.

To help me visualize it a bit more in my own mind, I compared it to resistor sizes. About as small as my fumbly fingers care to work with is a 1206 size and that light is just barely larger at 1506 size.

The lathe that you use must be quite rigid to pull that off.