Osram oslon black flat in convoy s2+?

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Just getting into the Convoy game. My S2+ desert tan hasn't even arrived but I'm already thinking about some future mods. What does the much more enlightened and experienced than I (prolly everyone here) think of putting an Osram Oslon Black Flat in a Convoy s2+ for more throw?

Last edited:

Agpp

Enlightened
Why not in Emisar D1? It seems like a much better host...

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Emisar D1 might work, the battery circuit appears to be isolated in the battery pack and separate from the head. An appropriate MPCB would be needed of course.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Because of the form factor.

There definitely are better hosts. And i commend you for pointing someone in the right direction for a given application.

I have an mh20 (so side switch and bigger head for throw and such) that i plan on modding later which would be closer to what a normal person would use for this.

BUT IM A NUT!!!
I wanna make an S2 pencil beam monster!!

Always got tons of ideas flying around in my head for gear that i want to buy/mod/research! Once in a blue moon my funds and time allow
me to indulge in the fastest/biggest/meanest categories of lifes toys!
When that blue moon rises, i like to have all my lux in a row already so i can get right to the mad scientist bits!

So for simplicity, what parts would you install in a convoy s2+ to make it a pencil beam thrower without changing the exterior form factor?

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2+ is a flood light. There are better hosts that would suite what you are trying to do like the Convoy C8. With that being said. YES do it. You can use some thermal epoxy to electrically isolate then use a normal MCPCB. With some careful reflow it fits on an XP size board.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Sorry was editing post above for better clarification. Re-read my crazy PLZ, lol!

YES do it. Thats what i like to hear, I might use that. Need to put it on a Nike shirt lol!

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
To use a Osram Black Flat, since the negative/thermal pad are the same, you need an isolated battery circuit. Otherwise an XP-L HI with an appropriate reflector is much fun. Of course if you want a pencil beam, there are always high power lasers...

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Probably not much difference in throw between the two l.e.d.'s with such a small reflector huh? Is it possible to build or buy a second head that is a high powered laser?

Ex. Using battery and tube for both and just changing head to switch between flashlight and laser?

I also want to do the same idea but with a powerbank head swap instead!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
The emisar D1s would make a good host:poke: $40 .....................nothing to loose, the xpl HI with 120kcd is not to be sniffed at out of the box:naughty:

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for straightening me out peeps!!!

Sounds like im keeping the xpl HI in the convoy and will consider the black flat for my MH20!! I've got more plans for it though, so have to work them out first.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a layer of thermal glue to isolate it. First glue it onto a surface that the thermal glue doesn't stick to (make sure that the glue covers the entire pcb surface whiule being as thin as possible). After this there will be an isolating layer under the pcb. Now you can put the pcb into the light using thermal paste, thermal glue or whatever else you prefer and it will alsways be isolated.

Last edited:

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
You can use a layer of thermal glue to isolate it. First glue it onto a surface that the thermal glue doesn't stick to (make sure that the glue covers the entire pcb surface whiule being as thin as possible). After this there will be an isolating layer under the pcb. Now you can put the pcb into the light using thermal paste, thermal glue or whatever else you prefer and it will alsways be isolated.

Thank u sir, this is exactly the type of stuff i need to start digging into! Are there any threads dedicated to info like this? What would help me out alot would be some wiring diagrams and component discussions on durability and compatibility such as bombproof parts, potting, and whether certain drivers can be used with lighted tailswitches, usb charging and the like!

Last edited: