LED mechanic's light suggestion (flexible angle or rotating head)

slowcorrado

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have been looking for a quality LED work light to replace my old Maxxeon Workstar 2000. Before I get yelled at: I did a search, but most of the responses are from 2011-13, and aren't really up to date enough to get a good picture of today's offerings. Below is a pic of the Workstar. I love it because of the rotatable head. That way if I'm lying under a car I can lay it flat and angle the head to my work area without having the light roll away. It also has a nice flood beam pattern and is durable.

Maxxeon-WorkStar-2000-03-e1326000053516-375x500.jpg

I have the 1st gen of this light that takes a custom battery pack. They had improved it to take a single 18650, but then quickly discontinued it? Now their update is the Workstar 3000. It loses the swivel head and instead has a swivel base which isn't suitable.

Hopefully there are some other offerings out there; what do you all suggest?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend a good floody headlamp. It's really nice having your light always pointed wherever you look without having to move or adjust it all the time.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a Rofis TR10 or the new R1. Both have a magnetic tail, rotating head, and are headband compatible. They also run on CR123A or rechargeable 16340 batteries making powering them flexible and economical. I've got both and think they are ideal for a vehicle for repairs, emergencies, etc. The quality and size is something you can also carry with you as an EDC too. Whether attached magnetically under the hood, on your head, or in your pocket, it does it all pretty well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the Streamlight Stylus Pro Reach.

Not a ton of output, yet its flexible end allows it to really climb into tight places. When not in use it has a magnetic base that can be clamped to anything a magnet will stick to.

Not an engine bay lighter by any means, but very handy for that "wherethehelldidthat screw get to?" scenario where it fell into the bay but did not make that wonderful "hit the concrete floor" sound. Goes places the SnapOn camera can reach.

WalMart has one in the auto parts section called the Hyper Tough that's a telescoping magnet with a hole in the center for the LED to light through. Telescopes to 18" long and the magnet has sides that aren't magnetic so guiding it into a crevice surrounded by metal is easy.

For engine bay lighting a Nebo Slyde is a flashlight or area light with a very strong magnet at the tail end. Matter of fact, if you have a Batteries Plus nearby stop in and check out the Nebo line up. You may see just what the doctor ordered for laying under the car. I use the Slyde often in that case. But a COB (chip on board) LED array light with a magnetic pocket clip is also worth a look. Those little suckers only throw like 8 feet, but my gosh do they light up a small area.

Last edited:

pipspeak

Enlightened
Rofis TR series (and new R series) or the Klarus AR10 are what I'm considering for something similar. Adjustable head, rechargeable, and bright. I've not read much about reliability of the adjustable head, though, so if anyone has experience please chime in.

radar696

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have been looking for a quality LED work light to replace my old Maxxeon Workstar 2000. Before I get yelled at: I did a search, but most of the responses are from 2011-13, and aren't really up to date enough to get a good picture of today's offerings. Below is a pic of the Workstar. I love it because of the rotatable head. That way if I'm lying under a car I can lay it flat and angle the head to my work area without having the light roll away. It also has a nice flood beam pattern and is durable.

I have the 1st gen of this light that takes a custom battery pack. They had improved it to take a single 18650, but then quickly discontinued it? Now their update is the Workstar 3000. It loses the swivel head and instead has a swivel base which isn't suitable.

Hopefully there are some other offerings out there; what do you all suggest?
slowcorrado,

Sorry I don't have a suggestion for a light but I did take the liberty to look at what has been suggested by others and I have a suggestion.
It appears for you get the function you want I think you may need to create a block that you can attach to the light of your choice.
I would think a piece of foam rubber carved to fit your light and you can use a Velcro strap to attach it.
That would give you the ability roll it from side to side too.

Radar