Convoy C8 XPL HI (v2 1a - new firmware)

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I need some help from you.
I have a convoy C8 with XM-L2 T6 led. Since I need a similar flashlight with much more throw I'm considering to buy the "new" C8 (claiming a new firmware and fasting cooling) with XPL HI CREE LED.

I read that lumens are lower compared to XM-L2 T6 but the domeless led should guarantee much more throw.
The seller on AliExpress, Simon, seems to be very professional and suggested to me the V2 1A version (6500-7000k).

I also read that domeless LEDs like XPL HI are so powerful in throw that could be a smart idea choosing warm tint. I'll quote here what I read:

"In addition to what others have mentioned about the XP-L HI trading total output for focus, thereby increasing throw, I think it's important to point out that cool white scatters more in any haze, dust or fog that might be in the air. With a light that reaches out to 500m FL1 throw or more, you'll find some even when you thought there was none. The result is that a warm white tint lets you see solid objects better at a distance regardless of actual output."​

What do you think about? Anyone have these flashlights and can help me with my choice? Any suggestions highly appreciated as always :)

Tks a lot guys
M

Ps: I can link here the article if permitted. :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the "clear" Convoy C8 and a ~5000K XP-L Hi. It is pretty great for our purposes. Heat management is no problem. The tint is so much more pleasant than the cold, dingy stuff, but you did not really describe your application. We like to see wildlife.

Because of our terrain, I like to have more throw for most of our nocturnal outings, and therefore use an Eagtac M30 LC2 with the ~4500K (or less?) XP-L Hi. The 2 1/2 inch reflector takes you to a whole new level that you may not want or need, with a corresponding smaller hotspot. The size of the XP-L Hi hotspot in the C8 is a more general purpose throw. I am not really sure how much more throw you will get compared to your XM-L2, but it will be noticeable. All this depends on your application. Don't let a higher cost be too much an obstacle. Flashlights are generally long lived. If you use them regularly, you'll get your money's worth in due time.

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
Hi man, tks for your reply!
I'm a professional security guard and I do patrols in the middle of the night. Right now I'm quite satisfied of my C8, I just want more throw in a flashlight with the same dimensions of my actual C8. I don't want anything bigger or equipped with more than one 18650 battery. I'm quite on a budget so I can't spend much more (this is why I don't want flashlights hosting more than 1 battery, I don't wanna buy any new cell right now).

Do you think that the tint cloud make a serious difference? My actual C8 is totally cold and I really like the feel. Swapping to a warmer tint, to me, could be an option only if there are real benefits in seeing solid objects in the long distance, due to dust or fog in the air.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Hi guys, I need some help from you.
I have a convoy C8 with XM-L2 T6 led. Since I need a similar flashlight with much more throw I'm considering to buy the "new" C8 (claiming a new firmware and fasting cooling) with XPL HI CREE LED.

I read that lumens are lower compared to XM-L2 T6 but the domeless led should guarantee much more throw.
The seller on AliExpress, Simon, seems to be very professional and suggested to me the V2 1A version (6500-7000k).

I also read that domeless LEDs like XPL HI are so powerful in throw that could be a smart idea choosing warm tint. I'll quote here what I read:

"In addition to what others have mentioned about the XP-L HI trading total output for focus, thereby increasing throw, I think it's important to point out that cool white scatters more in any haze, dust or fog that might be in the air. With a light that reaches out to 500m FL1 throw or more, you'll find some even when you thought there was none. The result is that a warm white tint lets you see solid objects better at a distance regardless of actual output."​

What do you think about? Anyone have these flashlights and can help me with my choice? Any suggestions highly appreciated as always :)

Tks a lot guys
M

Ps: I can link here the article if permitted. :)

Check out mtnelectronics they have a list of C8s that you can choose the driver and the LED.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
banggood now sells the astrolux c8 with a fet driver + xp-l hi led. 102000 lux. Just google "Astrolux C8 XP-L HI 1300Lumens 7/4modes A6 Driver Tactical EDC LED Flashlight 18650"
If you buy one, make sure you have high drain 18650 battery. The fet driver will push the led and the battery really hard.

Last edited:

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
banggood now sells the astrolux c8 with a fet driver + xp-l hi led. 102000 lux. Just google "Astrolux C8 XP-L HI 1300Lumens 7/4modes A6 Driver Tactical EDC LED Flashlight 18650"
If you buy one, make sure you have high drain 18650 battery. The fet driver will push the led and the battery really hard.
The Astrolux seems cool but I can't find any test on YouTube and any evidence or comparison with any other flashlight (including convoy C8). So I'm not confident in buying this product. If you have some comparison with other flashlights please link them here :)

Any suggestions on cold Vs warm light for better visibility at long distance? Tks guys

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Astrolux seems cool but I can't find any test on YouTube and any evidence or comparison with any other flashlight (including convoy C8). So I'm not confident in buying this product. If you have some comparison with other flashlights please link them here :)

Any suggestions on cold Vs warm light for better visibility at long distance? Tks guys
The astrolux c8 is the same light as a convoy c8. But the difference is this version of the astrolux has a mutch more powerful fet driver.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi man, tks for your reply!
I'm a professional security guard and I do patrols in the middle of the night. Right now I'm quite satisfied of my C8, I just want more throw in a flashlight with the same dimensions of my actual C8. I don't want anything bigger or equipped with more than one 18650 battery. I'm quite on a budget so I can't spend much more (this is why I don't want flashlights hosting more than 1 battery, I don't wanna buy any new cell right now).

Do you think that the tint cloud make a serious difference? My actual C8 is totally cold and I really like the feel. Swapping to a warmer tint, to me, could be an option only if there are real benefits in seeing solid objects in the long distance, due to dust or fog in the air.

Excellent and Thank You. I did security in the 1980's and know it does not always get recognized for its importance.

I would say it does not make a serious difference for your work. If you like the feel of it, that is what's important. CPF members like to go on about their own preferences, and may site valid evidence but the difference is sometimes not really visible in the real world. You may come to prefer a more sun-like tint in the future. Or you may end up preferring something even warmer, but just go with what you like now. It is good to have a backup flashlight anyways. Hopefully you already have, or will get another 18650 battery. The C8 form factor really is great. Good luck!

Some would say the cool tint may do a better job of keeping you awake.

stephenk

Enlightened
Emisar D1S is also a good option, with twice the candela of the excellent Clear/Silver Convoy C8. No strobe though. I hope to post a review by next weekend.

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
Excellent and Thank You. I did security in the 1980's and know it does not always get recognized for its importance.

I would say it does not make a serious difference for your work. If you like the feel of it, that is what's important. CPF members like to go on about their own preferences, and may site valid evidence but the difference is sometimes not really visible in the real world. You may come to prefer a more sun-like tint in the future. Or you may end up preferring something even warmer, but just go with what you like now. It is good to have a backup flashlight anyways. Hopefully you already have, or will get another 18650 battery. The C8 form factor really is great. Good luck!

Some would say the cool tint may do a better job of keeping you awake.
Tks man. The Astrolux seems fantastic on the paper but don't having anything to compare I'm not confident in buying it. Eventually i found the Astrolux driver on AliExpress for less than €3. Maybe in future I could change it if needed.
By the way the imanent DT70 with xhp70 will always be in my dreams 😍

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I ordered the new convoy c8 (v2 1a with new firmware) with XPL HI from Simon on AliExpress. To be honest I have read a lot on this device and I really like it.
I will eventually upgrade to FET driver in the future but I'm willing to buy components right now, just in case.

Anyone can help me with choosing the right driver on AliExpress? I don't even know what I need except for the driver.. any help will be very appreciated.

Ps: moving to FET driver I'll need to use a different battery? I'm using an EagTac 3400mAh, 12.6Wh (the green one).

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest Samsung 30Q for the battery or a Sony VTC6. They have less mAh but can deliver more amp than the EagTac. A light that has a FET driver should be driven with an high drain battery (more amps). Just be sure that you have an over-discharge protection on your driver.

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest Samsung 30Q for the battery or a Sony VTC6. They have less mAh but can deliver more amp than the EagTac. A light that has a FET driver should be driven with an high drain battery (more amps). Just be sure that you have an over-discharge protection on your driver.
Tks a lot, I'm making a list of things to buy. So with FET I'll need a more powerful, hi drain, battery for having more light and longer throw?

Then, can you help me with the other components I'll need? Even some suggestions on a very good FET driver will be very appreciated. I'm truly n00b, I'm just buying the components, my brother will do the soldering stuffs. xD

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C8 has already a quite good 7135 driver. A FET driver might give you an higher start but will drop quickly in output compared to a 7155 driver. If you need a light that will keep a more constant output, go for a 8 x 7135. If you need to have a little bit less power but want a light that will run for a long time on a lower level, go for a 6 x 7135. If you don't care about runtime and just need some quick burst at maximum power, go for a FET. Please note that a FET driver might shorten the led's life (if always used on the highest level for a long time) and that the light will become very very hot if you hold it on the highest level for more than a minute or 2.

About suggesting a good FET driver, sorry, I can't help. I'm more a 7135 type... To be honest, the difference between a FET and a 8 x 7135 driver is not very noticeable, you won't see a big difference between 1000 and 1200 lumens... Don't think that there is a 20% difference, your eyes don't see it that way. Here's a a good explanation taken from Henry at HDS:

What is the logarithmic nature of my eyes? Your eyes respond to light in a logarithmic way. That means they require a significant percentage change in light output for your eyes to notice a small but visible change in brightness. A 50% (1.5x) increase or 33% (0.67x) decrease will produce a small but visible change in brightness. An increase or decrease of half that - 25% (1.25x) and 20% (0.80x) respectively - will probably not be noticed.

You are probably already familiar with logarithmic scales in other areas of your life. For instance, earthquakes are measured using the logarithmic Richter scale. Sound is measured in logarithmic decibels. If you are a photographer, you are familier with the logarithmic f-stops and the logarithmic progression of shutter speeds. Even the musical notes in an equal temperament scale are logarithmically spaced. Logarithmic scales make it much easier to represent very large variations from tiny to huge because the scale represents a progression of ratios instead of a progression of linear units. The perception of most physical phenomena by our bodies - sight, sound and touch - are essentially logarithmic. It is difficult for us to perceive small percentage changes.

Many people are surprised to find out that going from 0.17 to 0.25 lumens looks the same as going from 167 to 250 lumens. From your eye's perspective, the step size is the same in both cases - a small but visible change. Notice that in the first case we only increased by 0.08 lumenswhile in the second case we increased by 83 lumens - a difference of 3 orders of magnitude.

You might be surprised to find out that you need a 10x increase in light to produce what most people consider to be a doubling in the amount of light. Again, this is due to the logarithmic nature of your eyes

Credit:
http://www.hdssystems.com/Content/LightFaq/

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
The C8 has already a quite good 7135 driver. A FET driver might give you an higher start but will drop quickly in output compared to a 7155 driver. If you need a light that will keep a more constant output, go for a 8 x 7135. If you need to have a little bit less power but want a light that will run for a long time on a lower level, go for a 6 x 7135. If you don't care about runtime and just need some quick burst at maximum power, go for a FET. Please note that a FET driver might shorten the led's life (if always used on the highest level for a long time) and that the light will become very very hot if you hold it on the highest level for more than a minute or 2.

About suggesting a good FET driver, sorry, I can't help. I'm more a 7135 type... To be honest, the difference between a FET and a 8 x 7135 driver is not very noticeable, you won't see a big difference between 1000 and 1200 lumens... Don't think that there is a 20% difference, your eyes don't see it that way. Here's a a good explanation taken from Henry at HDS:

What is the logarithmic nature of my eyes? Your eyes respond to light in a logarithmic way. That means they require a significant percentage change in light output for your eyes to notice a small but visible change in brightness. A 50% (1.5x) increase or 33% (0.67x) decrease will produce a small but visible change in brightness. An increase or decrease of half that - 25% (1.25x) and 20% (0.80x) respectively - will probably not be noticed.

You are probably already familiar with logarithmic scales in other areas of your life. For instance, earthquakes are measured using the logarithmic Richter scale. Sound is measured in logarithmic decibels. If you are a photographer, you are familier with the logarithmic f-stops and the logarithmic progression of shutter speeds. Even the musical notes in an equal temperament scale are logarithmically spaced. Logarithmic scales make it much easier to represent very large variations from tiny to huge because the scale represents a progression of ratios instead of a progression of linear units. The perception of most physical phenomena by our bodies - sight, sound and touch - are essentially logarithmic. It is difficult for us to perceive small percentage changes.

Many people are surprised to find out that going from 0.17 to 0.25 lumens looks the same as going from 167 to 250 lumens. From your eye's perspective, the step size is the same in both cases - a small but visible change. Notice that in the first case we only increased by 0.08 lumenswhile in the second case we increased by 83 lumens - a difference of 3 orders of magnitude.

You might be surprised to find out that you need a 10x increase in light to produce what most people consider to be a doubling in the amount of light. Again, this is due to the logarithmic nature of your eyes

Credit:
http://www.hdssystems.com/Content/LightFaq/

This is one of the most useful and interesting post I've ever read on this argument. Tks a lot man this was very explicative. Massive.

I know logarithmic responses since I much studied them in audio field (I took a degree as audio engineer) but I didn't know that our eyes responded to the same principle. I really learned something today.

Maybe I don't need a FET driver because of my patrols are about 15mins long and I'll need to run all the light possible for long time without burning my hands or my led.
My flashlight (should) have an 8x7135 driver so I think that will work amazing. I'm really happy about my purchase. I'd receive the flashlight in 30days (I hope).

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome sir ! :thumbsup:

I'm confident that you will love your C8. One of the best deal on thrower in my opinion. Convoy is possibly one of the best price/quality brand you can get.

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
You're welcome sir ! :thumbsup:

I'm confident that you will love your C8. One of the best deal on thrower in my opinion. Convoy is possibly one of the best price/quality brand you can get.

Tks again. I'll let you know my impressions once I'll get the flashlight! 😎

MetalSir

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I just received the flashlight! Everything works fine. Can't wait to do my next nighty patrol.

The model is the grey one. The led is completely flat (should be the one I paid for). Anyone can help me to understand if the driver is the new one? The one with the new firmware. Just to be sure before confirming the purchase on AliExpress.

The driver is red with "convoy v.2" written on:
IMG_20171222_090204_882.jpg

Ps: I verified that this firmware has 12 groups of modes. Dunno if the old firmware was the same

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C8 has already a quite good 7135 driver. A FET driver might give you an higher start but will drop quickly in output compared to a 7155 driver. If you need a light that will keep a more constant output, go for a 8 x 7135.

That's not what I find. Here's my full review of the Astrolux C8 (FET) compared to the Convoy C8 (8x7135).

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Review-Astrolux-C8-Flashlight-Compact-Thrower

Basically, the Astrolux does lose output as the battery drains (as expected), but so does the Convoy. The Astrolux is 60% brighter at the start, and always maintains more output than the Convoy. The downside is that it does drain the battery faster, of course.

Both are great lights, and have great user interfaces (as long as you get the Convoy with the biscotti firmware). But for more throw, the Astrolux wins easily.